The MST3K Thread

Josh

Yeah, the Gamera stream was fun chaos. I've really enjoyed watching the various cast members intermingle, a great bit was at the end of the Delta Knights livestream when Felicia Day didn't know what a hotdish was and she was drowned in chiding midwesternisms from Mary Jo Pehl, Beez McKeever, Rebecca Hanson, and Yvonne Freese. Looking forward to the Bill Corbett one on Tuesday; given that parts of the J. Elvis and Mary Jo ones was the news that they would be writing for and appearing in Season 13 one has to assume that's coming there.

Another great reward they hit over the weekend was a bonus goal that means one of the episodes in Season 13 will be a 3D movie, in the old cheesy "here's your plastic 3D glasses" sense.

• Like 1

Felicia Day constantly changing filters was tremendous

Especially when nobody was paying attention to it

• Like 1

On 02/05/2021 at 13:07, GoGo Yubari said:

Looking forward to the Bill Corbett one on Tuesday; given that parts of the J. Elvis and Mary Jo ones was the news that they would be writing for and appearing in Season 13 one has to assume that's coming there.

Nope! Just the news that Rifftrax is offering some rewards for backing and if they hit 5.5 mil they'll do at least one live event in the Gizmoplex.

I'm also now starting to change my mind on whether they'll hit that goal, because they're now within a stone's throw of 4.8 with two days to go. That absolutely feels within striking distance of a big final day push.

Yeah, I think we're due one more announcement to get over that final hurdle. Maybe just some of the movies they intend to riff, but I think there's at least one more cameo/return coming - I'm holding out hopes for The Mads, though I think Kevin Murphy is probably more likely.

It's been great to see Rifftrax offering rewards to try and help them out, but I think that pretty much rules out the possibility of Mike doing an episode even more than it was already extremely unlikely. They shared the designs for jumpsuit patches of all the hosts, each with the number of episodes they've riffed on them, and Mike's is the only one not changed to a "?" to reflect that there's a new series coming.

They've passed $4.8 million now, so I could see them hitting $5 million by the end of the day, and I think the only way they don't hit their final goal is if whatever announcements they have left are extremely underwhelming - and I'd assume they know well enough to have saved something good for the end. 

I expect Kevin Murphy will have some involvements. Even if its just turning up to play Bobo again.

Wouldnt surprise me if The Mads turned up.

Wasn't surprised Rifftrax got involved. It would be silly if they didnt.

uh, jeez, they are now at 5.3 million and the telethon doesn't even start for another 20 hours. They're absolutely going to hit the goal before it starts and so the focus of it's going to be topping the first Kickstarter instead.

8 hours ago, GoGo Yubari said:

uh, jeez, they are now at 5.3 million and the telethon doesn't even start for another 20 hours. They're absolutely going to hit the goal before it starts and so the focus of it's going to be topping the first Kickstarter instead.

yeah, they've passed 5.4 now, so absolutely guaranteed to hit 5.5, and I'm sure they'll pass their 5.8 million bonus challenge of topping the first Kickstarter by the end of the telethon, especially if they have another surprise or two lined up. Exciting stuff!

With 43 minutes to spare, they topped their first Kickstarter. The 5.8 reward was turning the 3D episode into a Halloween Special in the Gizmoplex and making the 3D glasses a reward for backers at every level, and the reward for topping the first Kickstarter (6.3 million) was a thirteenth episode that will serve as a holiday special featuring all three hosts. They topped it and kept going to 6.5 million.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GoGo Yubari said:

With 43 minutes to spare, they topped their first Kickstarter. The 5.8 reward was turning the 3D episode into a Halloween Special in the Gizmoplex and making the 3D glasses a reward for backers at every level, and the reward for topping the first Kickstarter (6.3 million) was a thirteenth episode that will serve as a holiday special featuring all three hosts. They topped it and kept going to 6.5 million.

All three hosts?  I haven't been keeping up with the series since its Netflix run ended, but I always kinda got the impression Mike didn't want much to do with it

49 minutes ago, Lint said:

All three hosts?  I haven't been keeping up with the series since its Netflix run ended, but I always kinda got the impression Mike didn't want much to do with it

By "all three hosts" I meant all three who were involved with this season; on top of Jonah and Joel there's a third, Emily, who debuted on the last live tour and did some livestream events last year. Season 13 is her debut as a host in the show itself.

Just now, GoGo Yubari said:

By "all three hosts" I meant all three who were involved with this season; on top of Jonah and Joel there's a third, Emily, who debuted on the last live tour and did some livestream events last year. Season 13 is her debut as a proper MST3K host.

Ahh...yea my mind went Jonah, Joel and Mike.  Not familiar with Emily at all

Had a quick scrub through the Telethon.

I love Dana Gould. Can never get into his podcast but whenever he turns up as a guest on something, he's just brilliantly funny.

Fun to see Alex Winter pop up and learn that Joel got to have a phone call with Frank Zappa.

First three season 13 movies have been announced: Robot Wars (an early '90s mech pilot movie), Demon Squad (what looks like a Dresden Files knockoff "supernatural detective" thing from two years ago), and...

e6a39bc92d99fe0be6d6a6369f02e0a2_origina

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, GoGo Yubari said:

First three season 13 movies have been announced: Robot Wars (an early '90s mech pilot movie), Demon Squad (what looks like a Dresden Files knockoff "supernatural detective" thing from two years ago), and...

e6a39bc92d99fe0be6d6a6369f02e0a2_origina

Where are these going to be available? That gizmoplex or netflix?

2 minutes ago, Krabby said:

Where are these going to be available? That gizmoplex or netflix?

From what I understand the plan is to premier them on the Gizmoplex (where you can get them either by subscribing to the service or renting the episode) and have them have a timed exclusivity period there before going up free with ads somewhere, I don't think it's been made clear precisely where yet but definitely not Netflix.

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

belatedly I think the deal with the no physical set thing is they filmed the Emily episodes in Philadelphia and they're filming the Jonah episodes in LA. Not sure where they're filming the Joel episodes but he lives in or near Philly so probably there.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...