Ultimate Fighter: Lesnar vs. Dos Santos

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Guest mr. potato head

Starts tonight, 9:00 ET on Spike TV, at some point on Rogers Sportsnet in Canada (but also Spike), not sure about the rest of the world.

Lesnar usually gets more of EWB interested so this gets its own thread.

Don't know most of the fighters this season, guess I'll be cheering for Shamar Bailey and (of course) Ryan McGillivray.

TUF13CAST-1024x543.jpg

Full fighter list:

* Name: Nordin “Fist of Tangier” Asrih

Trains: Dusseldorf, Germany – Pride Gym

MMA record: 16-5-1

* Name: Shamar Bailey

Trains: Indianapolis, IN – Integrated Fighting Systems

MMA record: 10-3

* Name: Len “The Liger” Bentley

Trains: Olympia, WA – Victory Athletics

MMA record: 9-4-0

* Name: Michael “Mick” Bowman

Trains: Liverpool, England – Wolfslair

MMA record: 7-2-0

* Name: Keon “The Black Assassin” Caldwell

Trains: Moultrie, GA – Team Reality

MMA record: 8-1

* Name: Chris “C-Murder” Cope

Trains: San Diego, CA – Arena MMA

MMA record: 4-1

* Name: Zachary Davis

Trains: Rockville, MD – Evolve / Team Lloyd Irvin

MMA record: 4-1-0

* Name: Anthony “El Cucuy” Ferguson

Trains: Ventura, CA – Knuckleheadz Boxing

MMA record: 10-2-0

* Name: Clay Harvison

Trains: Marietta, GA – X3 Sports

MMA record: 6-1-0

* Name: Myles “Fury” Jury

Trains: San Diego, CA – Victory

MMA record: 9-0

* Name: Ryan McGillivray

Trains: Edmonton, Alberta Canada – Legends Training Centre

MMA record: 11-4-1

* Name: Ramsey Nijem

Trains: Orem, UT – River Academy / The Pit

MMA record: 4-1-0

* Name: Charlie “Superstar” Rader

Trains: New Orleans, LA – Power MMA

MMA record: 16-5

* Name: Javier “Chunty Boy” Torres

Trains: Las Vegas, NV – Team Tompkins

MMA record: 3-0-0

Pumped for this, cant wait to see how Lesnar comes across in this role. What's the black dudes name with the tattoo at the front? (Keon?) Stands out for me. I'll be watching the show in the morning rather than staying up tonight, hoping it delivers. I actually thought last season was great and I can certainly see this one delivering too.

Edited by JohnnyPerfect

The Heavyweights season was on Five US, so it is possible it will be back there, but judging that I have found no word when it shows it is possible it will not be shown yet. So I hope it will be available on the Ultimate Fighter website (where you can watch every season of the ultimate fighter currently available) or we have to use other, less above the board means to watch it.

When they first started reporting what guys would be on the show, I remember reading about Quinn Mulhern being involved. Can anyone confirm or deny that he was supposed to be? If he was supposed to be on this season, can anyone tell me why he isn't?

Quite choked that my TV guide gave me the wrong times. While it said The Ultimate Fighter was on, in reality it was an hour earlier and I got UFC 100 instead. Oh well, next time :(

You didn't miss much.

Yeah, not an overwhelming first episode or first match. And the teaser for the rest of the season at the end of the episode didn't make me all that anxious for what's to come. Not that I won't watch anyway, but still.

It does look like their may be some talented guys on the show though so we'll see.

Edited by bill_da_bill

I've never really watched The Ultimate Fighter before, but I've quite enjoyed this so far. I've watched a fair bit of UFC before, but I don't really know a lot about the rules and such, could someone explain to me what the bit was all about in the second episode, where during the fight the referee came over and stopped the fight for like five seconds?

The one guy was saying he got hit in the crotch. Whenever someone gets hit below the belt they separate the fighters for I think up to five minutes or until the fighter is ready to start again, though someone who watches more then casually will correct me on that part of it if I'm wrong.

The one guy was saying he got hit in the crotch. Whenever someone gets hit below the belt they separate the fighters for I think up to five minutes or until the fighter is ready to start again, though someone who watches more then casually will correct me on that part of it if I'm wrong.

You've got it, there.

One thing I hate about this though, is that a lot of fighters just expect it. The ref won't see the low blow, or the ref will determine that it was inconsequential, and the fighter who received it will just stop fighting and assume he gets a free break off of it. Javier Torres did that, and it bugs the ever-loving shit out of me. As an opposing fighter, what are you supposed to do? Do you crack the guy in the chin for putting his hands down and trying to walk away when the ref hasn't stepped in? Or do you give him a free pass and make the crowd wonder what the fuck is going on?

Personally, if a fighter stops fighting before the ref interjects, I think that should be a foul unto itself. It's a form of delay and should, in my mind, result in a deducted point. Of course, it's different if you get kicked low and drop like a ton of bricks. If it's THAT bad, and the ref doesn't stop it, there's something wrong with the ref, not the fighter.

• 1 month later...

This could've gone in the UFC thread, but I figure there is a thread for the show so why not here.

Anyone watch this week's episode? Curious to know what you thought of the Cope/Shamar decision. Something I have always had an issue with about judging is they don't credit stuffing the takedown. Junior said Shamar got robbed cause he "controlled the fight." Because he was attempting takedowns left and right, that is not controlling the fight. Shamar wanted the fight on the ground obviously, Cope didn't let that happen, therefore Cope was controlling where the fight took place, at least thats the way I see it. Obvious a takedown is worth more than a stuffed takedown, but stuffing someone's shots should be worth something.

I will agree that Cope was beckpedaling a lot and looked hesitant to engage, still Shamar shouldn't feel robbed. And the bit with him talking to Dana was absolutely hilarious.

As far as the other match, I give Clay props for taking that fight, but Ramsey is for real. Ramsey and Tony are the two guys on the show I can see really making an impact in the UFC.

Right decision all day long for me. Cope was back pedaling smartly, because it was pretty obvious Shamar was constantly going to look for a takedown, so Cope tried to be alert at all times to that. He must of stuffed about 15 takedowns in that fight, completely mental. Shamar showed nothing what so ever and then went on to use the most ridiculous excuse in a long time with 'I could of taken him down, but I wanted to show you something different' or whatever it was he said.

I picked him out at the start but my mind has completely changed on him. Dana was pretty spot on, one dimensional and even with that he's clearly not that good. It was made pretty clear Cope didn't exactly have the greatest defense, yet he made Shamar look silly in the fight.

Agree on Ramsey too, the guy has really surprised me, top performance in that fight. I've actually thought the season has been pretty good, despite seeing quite a few knock it. Also been great to see what Junior is like, what a lovely guy.