2011/2012 UEFA Champions League

Starvinho

I'm happy with Benfica, one of the 'easier' teams out of Pot 2.

Let's see in a few weeks.

What a surprise Man.Utd get a relatively easy group in the Champions League.....

Yes, since the two best qualify they have a good chance.

rolleyes.gif

I meant easy in the sense of location and Benfica being the lesser of the other evils in Pot 2. Shakthar would have been the best draw for us but Benfica was a close second, this way we avoided Italian (hostile crowds), Spanish (high quality teams) , French (bad record) and Russian (long and cold away days) teams.

But I still think we'll beat Benfica easy though. ;)

I meant easy in the sense of location and Benfica being the lesser of the other evils in Pot 2. Shakthar would have been the best draw for us but Benfica was a close second, this way we avoided Italian (hostile crowds), Spanish (high quality teams) , French (bad record) and Russian (long and cold away days) teams.

But I still think we'll beat Benfica easy though. ;)

It wouldn't surprise me, but to be honest, after we beat you in 2005 and put you out of the Champions League, with an awful team and coach on our side, I can believe in everything.

Barca beat Porto in the Super Cup 2-0, was a decent game but not anything special. Messi scored in the first half and Fabregas finished it off late on. Porto did finish with 9 men though.

• 3 weeks later...
1439 FOOTBALL: Arsenal midfielder Aaron Ramsey has been ruled out their Champions League group match away to Borussia Dortmund on Tuesday. Manager Arsene Wenger revealed the Wales international limped out of training this morning with an ankle injury ahead of Arsenal's flight to Germany.

Off to Stamford Bridge in an hour or so. Will be interesting to see the turnout, as there has been much indignant talk online about the CL Group Stage games having been bumped up in price from £25 to £40 this season.

Last year all three of the home Group games had an attendance of ~40,500. I expect that to be lower, but not at catastrophic 'Rosenborg' levels...so between 36,000 and 38,000, say.

• Admin

BREAKING CHELSEA TEAM NEWS

Daniel Sturridge and Fernando Torres start up front against Bater Leverkusen. David Luiz makes his first appearance of the season and Frank Lampard and John Terry are both left out of the starting XI.

BREAKING ARSENAL TEAM NEWS

Yossi Benayoun is handed his full Gunners debut, with Per Mertesacker and Mikel Arteta also in the starting line-up. Full details in a tick.

• Admin
Chelsea: Cech, Bosingwa, Ivanovic, Luiz, Cole, Mikel, Sturridge, Malouda, Meireles, Mata, Torres.

Subs: Hilario, Lampard, Ferreira, McEachran, Kalou, Alex, Anelka.

Bayer Leverkusen: Leno, Castro, Reinartz, Toprak, Kadlec, Rolfes, Bender, Ballack, Sam, Kiessling, Schurrle.

Subs: Yelldell, Schwaab, Friedrich, Renato Augusto, Balitsch, Derdiyok, Bellarabi.

Referee: Stephane Lannoy (France)

Borussia Dortmund: Weidenfeller, Piszczek, Subotic, Hummels, Schmelzer, Bender, Kehl, Gotze, Kagawa, Grosskreutz, Lewandowski.

Subs: Langerak, Da Silva, Zidan, Blaszczykowski, Gundogan, Felipe Santana, Perisic.

Arsenal: Szczesny, Sagna, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Gibbs, Song, Arteta, Walcott, Benayoun, Gervinho, van Persie.

Subs: Fabianski, Park, Andre Santos, Djourou, Arshavin, Frimpong, Chamakh.

Referee: Gianluca Rocchi (Italy)

Going to be a very tough match for Arsenal in Dortmund I think. Very tough indeed. I want to watch it but the whole family are going to watch a film and I don't want to be a sourpuss so I may take my laptop down with me or record or just watch the highlights tomorrow. Be interesting to see how this young Dortmund team performs given the pressure of Champions League football.