2011/2012 UEFA Champions League

Starvinho

33,820 in the end. Heh.

The first half was some of the best football I've seen Chelsea play. I was just so utterly impressed. Despite the lack of a goal, I struggle to contain the superlatives. Even better because so often Chelsea are sluggish in the first half and have to get slapped into playing in the second. We found it a bit more difficult after half-time when Leverkusen changed their style and we tried a more counter-attacking method. But persistence paid off and we got a win, with two Torres assists to boot!

For MOTM, there isn't a hair's breadth between Mikel, Mata and Torres.

Just got done watching the Champions League goals from last night and I have to say, Hulk's freekick was superb (as was Villa's) - you could almost say it made me green with envy.

Also I just love that APOEL Nicosia first goal where in the build up you just think "this is going to be spectacular", only for him to spaff the ball sideways and the striker scores from a few yards out. Still, the build up for both their goals was particularly tasty. And there's just something particularly fun about a Russian team travelling to Cyprus for a Champions League match, I guess that's what is all about.

United team vs Benfica: Lindegaard, Fabio, Smalling, Evans, Evra, Valencia, Carrick, Giggs, Fletcher, Park, Rooney

Subs: De Gea, Jones, Anderson, Nani, Owen, Berbatov, Hernandez.

City team vs Napolo: Hart, Zabaleta, Kompany, Lescott, Kolarov, Yaya, Barry, Silva, Nasri, Aguero, Dzeko

Subs: Pantilimon, Richards, Savic, Clichy, K.Toure, Johnson, Tevez

Edited by Starvinho

Good first half, Benfica are proving to be good value. Ryan Giggs never ceases to amaze me, just before his goal I was thinking to myself that he was having one of the worst games I've seen him play for a good while.

Second half we just need be a bit quicker with our passing and find that final ball and a few more goals should follow. I'd take 1-1 as full-time right now though if it was being offered...

Good first half, Benfica are proving to be good value. Ryan Giggs never ceases to amaze me, just before his goal I was thinking to myself that he was having one of the worst games I've seen him play for a good while.

Second half we just need be a bit quicker with our passing and find that final ball and a few more goals should follow. I'd take 1-1 as full-time right now though if it was being offered...

Giggs is still having a poor game, aside from the goal and our other best chance. I'm being serious dry.gif

Carrick is useless, can't run, is too weak and can't pick a pass tonight, useless all round.

Shame to see Valencia come off because I think he's been our best player. Good to see Chicharito come on though to give us another attacking option, I'll be happy with a point though. Lindegaard has done okay, good save in the 2nd half but distribution is poor. Hope De Gea plays against Chelsea.

Oh and City are 1-0 down :lol:

Edited by MJB

I actually thought Lindegaard's distribution was very good actually and he had an all around great game. Dealt with everything bar the goal, made a cracking save too, very good all around.

Fair result really, felt we could of nicked it, but they could say the same I guess. Was tough in the first half just playing Rooney up top, we were so short up front. Hopefully Jones starts at RB on Sunday too, brilliant when he came on.

Very happy with the point, Lindegaard impressed me alot tonight. Smalling and Evans played well as did Jones when he came on, the midfield was a bit slow and weak but can't complain much, Benfica were just far superior in that area of the pitch tonight.

Good game, I thought. Could go either way, and both teams had good chances, and though I'm biased (Benfica all the way), I think we actually had more chances, but like I said, could have gone either way. I'm glad with the tie, though, as I thought we were going to get slaughtered tonight, especially considering Manchester's Premiership form.