Official EWB Fantasy Football League Season 7

Maxx

I look at the under .500 teams, or a team like DMN's as reasons why this is probably the last year the league runs at 14 teams. If a few of your players go down, there's really no hope to salvage a season, especially once the bye weeks come through and further decimate teams. If you fall off, you never get back in the hunt because there's too many teams and not enough good players to keep everyone competitive.

Definitely a discussion we should be having. While I like the "cleanliness" of a league where you play everyone once and then have playoffs, it is true a bad injury (though I've managed to somehow avoid catastrophe from the Jammal Charles injury) or just underperformance leaves you no flexibility and real early in the season you can already be out of the hunt. More of this should be talked about in the offseason, with a couple of good apples in the other league we could definitely go to two 10 team leagues or maybe a 12 team and a 10 league. Generally I'm against leagues smaller than 10 (and only like 10 team leagues if there's big benches) because of the lack of skill actually needed to manage your team. But that skill goes out the window in a league that's too big when.

I don't know the right size for the league or the roster, but I do know that losing your 1st pick is going to kill you even if we cut down the number and/or size of the teams by 1 or 2. When Arian Foster was getting me no points every week, there was nothing I could do to augment my running game because there are only so many RBs worth anything in the current pass happy league. Unless you catch lightning in a bottle none of those guys will be on the waiver wire, and if your top QB is a 0 point scorer (like DMN) you're dead. I don't think that would have changed much if we were a 12 team league or had less bench spots.

• Like 1

Could also attempt changing the rules up to make it less of a handicap to lose a top tier RB. One league I'm in puts the focus on your QBs by giving a point (I think) for every completion and then subtracting a point for every incompletion. It's a novel idea and I think most leagues should start going towards it.

Has an idea ever been thrown out there for a way to draft a team's RBs like you draft D/ST teams? Most people can manage an injury to their WRs and at this point only a handful of QBs on teams are going to be a liability if they have to start. But me losing Jammal Charles for the year is something there literally is no way around. But if I had the KC rushing game then the loss wouldn't have been catastrophic.

I'd also love a league where you draft defensive players, I've never done it before but I think the current system of "hope my mediocre D plays an inept offense on my good D's bye week" strategy is taking a huge aspect of fun out of fantasy. Granted with our drafting style it couldn't be done here, but maybe if some guys here are down we could try starting up a league (while also staying in the main EWB one) where we have to draft a defense.

In favour of going down to 12 teams. Also consider making the flex spot a RB/WR/TE flex as well. Draft picks being based off previous season standings rather than being random. The relegation idea means we can test things out in one league and see what works before implementing it in the other.

I think the draft pick idea sounds good

In favour of going down to 12 teams. Also consider making the flex spot a RB/WR/TE flex as well. Draft picks being based off previous season standings rather than being random. The relegation idea means we can test things out in one league and see what works before implementing it in the other.

No. There's no reason to do it like that, we have no holdovers and everyone starts from scratch. Not to mention the fact that not everyone comes back, so it's impossible to do in a fair manner.

I also don't understand Sahyder's aversion to having a 10 team league where everyone has "Loaded teams." That sounds like a league that's quite balanced and everyone has a fair chance of winning. Why are you opposed to that?

No. There's no reason to do it like that, we have no holdovers and everyone starts from scratch. Not to mention the fact that not everyone comes back, so it's impossible to do in a fair manner.

I also don't understand Sahyder's aversion to having a 10 team league where everyone has "Loaded teams." That sounds like a league that's quite balanced and everyone has a fair chance of winning. Why are you opposed to that?

Playing in a few 10 team leagues and I prefer the bigger ones, some guys don't even manage their lineups in this one 10 team league and manage to beat me because they just hit the luck of the draw in the draft. At least with 12 you're required to pay attention to some details, but my major suggestion is to redo the scoring to make it so RBs don't make or break a team.

I think the bigger leagues are more interesting as anything can happen and the late picks matter more. Nobody really wanted Ryan Matthews and he became one of my high scorers so far.

Conceivably you could go with 2 10/12 team leagues and shuffle a few people, but it just depends on what you guys want to do.

It is entirely possible to have a balanced league in a 14 team format. People just need to draft better. I honestly don't know if anyone in our league paired up any RBs (i.e take Bradshaw AND Jacobs, Greene AND LT, etc.) Injuries happen in football. They'll screw up seasons for teams whether we have a 10 team league or 14 team league. A ten team league wouldn't have saved Rocksta from passing up on Brees in a QB dominated league. Srar passed up on Calvin Johnson. Part of it is luck, part of it just better drafting.

It is entirely possible to have a balanced league in a 14 team format. People just need to draft better. I honestly don't know if anyone in our league paired up any RBs (i.e take Bradshaw AND Jacobs, Greene AND LT, etc.) Injuries happen in football. They'll screw up seasons for teams whether we have a 10 team league or 14 team league. A ten team league wouldn't have saved Rocksta from passing up on Brees in a QB dominated league. Srar passed up on Calvin Johnson. Part of it is luck, part of it just better drafting.

It is almost impossible to have a balanced league with 14 teams. I would rather pick 1st and 28th than 14th and 15th any season. The dropoff between 1 and 14 is far greater than 15 to 28. The 3 teams with the best records in the league after 6 weeks drafted 1st, 2nd & 5th.

Also, there are multiple problems with drafting tandem backs.

1) You're absolutely boned on the bye week unless you have at least 4 RBs that get playing time on your roster.

2) You either have to play both or hope you're riding the hot hand to get max points.

3) If one gets injured, you still need to go out and find someone else who isn't going to be worth much.

You can survive a "bad" draft choice. You can possibly survive a 1st round draft pick missing multiple games. You can't survive losing your # 1 pick for the season.

Edited by naiwf