NBA Thread 2011-12

sahyder1

And the Knicks' winning streak ends at home vs New Orleans.

Was hoping that, when the streak ended, it would've been against a better team. Hopefully New York is better prepared for Dalls.

Lin has had 45 turnovers in 7 games. That's a bit of an understated issue by everyone. Without a doubt his 9 turnovers cost them the game last night.

The turnovers (and their bad free throw shooting) nearly sunk the Knicks again vs the Mavs.

That being said, right now those Knick turnovers are the price for their improved better ball distribution + winning 7 of 8 games with Lin directing traffic. The turnover numbers should go down as Lin gets more experience.

There was a big fallout at ESPN over the headline "Chink in the armor" after Lin had a subpar game against the Hornets. As someone who actually saw the headline I never thought twice about it until the big apology so thanks ESPN for pointing out a racist joke, I had a good laugh.

Speaking only for myself as an Oriental, I didn't see that copy as being racist either.

I think turnovers are looked at wrongly. Ricky Rubio also looks turnover prone if you just look at the stat lines. But I think you need to look at the turnover, they can be through poor ball-control, bad passes, a steal or they can be a pass that is picked off that if made would have been an automatic two points. What I'm trying to say is, to me a turnover isn't always a turnover. I really think they need to split them like in tennis with forced and unforced errors. Plus Lin and Rubio have both shown that as PGs they can spark a run. I'd much rather have a player with 6 turnovers who also lead a 16-4 run than one with no turnovers who couldn't impact the game in any way.

Was hoping that, when the streak ended, it would've been against a better team. Hopefully New York is better prepared for Dalls.

The Knicks played this game like they were exhausted. They really did an awful job. Then at the end of the game, every call was in favor of New Orleans.

They played great against Dallas after the day off, which was great. That was a really solid game by both teams.

I think turnovers are looked at wrongly. Ricky Rubio also looks turnover prone if you just look at the stat lines. But I think you need to look at the turnover, they can be through poor ball-control, bad passes, a steal or they can be a pass that is picked off that if made would have been an automatic two points. What I'm trying to say is, to me a turnover isn't always a turnover. I really think they need to split them like in tennis with forced and unforced errors. Plus Lin and Rubio have both shown that as PGs they can spark a run. I'd much rather have a player with 6 turnovers who also lead a 16-4 run than one with no turnovers who couldn't impact the game in any way.

Oh absolutely. Rubio, Rondo, Nash, Deron and Kobe have higher turnover averages than Lin this season, but they make up for that with all the positive contributions to their game. The turnovers, as well as any other bad stats, are excuseable so long as they win more than they lose.

The Knicks played this game like they were exhausted. They really did an awful job. Then at the end of the game, every call was in favor of New Orleans.

They played great against Dallas after the day off, which was great. That was a really solid game by both teams.

D'Antoni's known for only using 7 or 8 players at any given game. Even when Carmelo and Baron are ready to play, it's unlikely he'll go 9 or 10 deep to spread out the workload.

D'Antoni's known for only using 7 or 8 players at any given game. Even when Carmelo and Baron are ready to play, it's unlikely he'll go 9 or 10 deep to spread out the workload.

He might need to change that since the schedule is so packed every week this season. Most likely he won't and that might catch up to the Knicks down the line.

Thinking about this, the Knicks potentially match up well against the Heat. They'd make Lebron and Wade work on the defensive end (I'd assume they would have to put one of them on Jeremy Lin) and have more than enough adequate defenders to throw at both of them (Shumpert, Fields, Walker, Jeffries), not to mention Chandler guarding the paint. Offensively, Amare and Melo will get theirs. JR Smith and Lin are two more scorers who can get hot in a hurry. Not saying it'll be this year, but I can see Lin developing to a point where he can learn how to attack a defense as disciplined as Miami's

Okay, so the Knicks are at the stage where they can beat good teams (Dallas), and lose to bad teams (New Jersey).

They better be ready for Miami.

The last NY team with that kind of ridiculous up and down play from week to week won a championship. Let's hope history repeats itself. I'd like to see the Knicks win a title before I die.

Edited by naiwf

So a friend of mine who up until 2 weeks ago had no interest in basketball and is now a lifelong fan of the New York Knicks told me this morning that the Knicks should trade Carmelo Anthony because Jeremy Lin is a better player and he should be the team's centerpiece. Last night was an example of how every night will go with "Melo dragging the team down".

I'm done talking about sports with people.

So a friend of mine who up until 2 weeks ago had no interest in basketball and is now a lifelong fan of the New York Knicks told me this morning that the Knicks should trade Carmelo Anthony because Jeremy Lin is a better player and he should be the team's centerpiece. Last night was an example of how every night will go with "Melo dragging the team down".

I'm done talking about sports with people.

Slap your friend in the face and tell him/her that slap comes from every rational NY Knicks fan. Please and thank you.

Edited by naiwf

Yeah, NY just got Anthony and Davis back from injury. They have to adjust internally, as well as adjust to how everyone's now seriously gunning for them.

Okay, so the Knicks are at the stage where they can beat good teams (Dallas), and lose to bad teams (New Jersey).

They better be ready for Miami.

The last NY team with that kind of ridiculous up and down play from week to week won a championship. Let's hope history repeats itself. I'd like to see the Knicks win a title before I die.

The unfortunate thing is whoever wins the championship this season is going to have Phil Jackson or someone else pin an asterisk to their title, thanks to the lockout.

Okay, this has been driving me crazy, but does anyone know what the hell is that thing on Jeremy Lin's chin? Everytime I see him, in a game or during interviews, there's something white-ish there. Is it a scar or something?

His version of facial hair?

jeremylin.jpg

I looked at a few pictures and didn't notice any scars.