NBA Thread 2011-12

sahyder1

No way that trade happens. I was playing around with potential Dwight to Chicago deals myself. Getting a team to take Deng is the problem, as a result I don't see much happening there. Philly is a massive dark horse to get Dwight. They can move Iggy and some young players, and with a third team have someone else send even more to Orlando. I did this deal myself with Sacramento as the third team.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=88ztz4n

And this one with Washington as the third team (a wishful thinking trade).

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=7jja6wf

I realize none of those would likely happen. But it's fun.

The problem with these deals, as everyone on ESPN has been saying, is that while they work Orlando won't take anything without youth and picks. Maybe on March 14th they'll just say fuck it and take whatever they can get but a lot of these contenders who have young assets aren't just going to be gunning for Dwight when they can potentially pry away Ryan Anderson. If you basically do Amar'e for Dwight straight-up you need to find a Sacramento or New Orleans or Toronto to give up a pick in return for the Knicks best young player, and then there comes all the other small details.

The catch is how many rebuilding teams are going to do this? It's a terrible time to be Orlando and I won't be surprised if they drop the ball. The only way for them to really salvage this scenario is if the Lakers feel they're better now with Howard, Anderson, and Ramon Sessions in a three-way deal with Cleveland. But the problem is what do you possibly send Cleveland's way since at least Bynum has to be sent to Orlando and probably Pau too. I make fun of NBA GMs a lot for making horrible trades and signings but this isn't like the cut-and-dry Melo trade from last year where we all knew New York could make it work. Nobody on Dwight's shortlist can make it work unless Orlando or some 3rd team wants to take on an albatross contract. It's going to look horrible no matter what for the Magic, end of story.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748484/34681637

You're never going to believe this, but Greg Oden is going to get another surgical procedure. I know it's hard to imagine someone as durable as Oden not playing, but here we are 5 years into his "career" and he'll have played in 82 of a possible 394 games. Forget John Stockton, he is the greatest thief in the history of the NBA having pulled in 5 years worth of paychecks for one split season's worth of marginal output (9.4 PPG, 7.3 RPG) on the court.

Jerry West summed up my thoughts on this new "trade me because I won't re-sign" thing perfectly. On one hand there is a good chance they and their agency won't pass up the extra money they can only make by re-signing with your team. On the other hand do you want someone who will try and publicly arse rape you playing on your team?

As much as I was on the players side during the lock out I do think it's really shitty to fuck over your team and demand a trade publicly. Go to the GM and ask for it. If they haven't moved you by the end of your contract then move on. It's as easy as that. At the end of the day if winning is the most important thing then take the pay cut that may require. If money is more important then stick around. I'm sure if I was in their situation I'd want my cake and eat it too. But it's an ugly thing to keep seeing. Especially when it's a team that's already in a hole. At worst it should be anywhere out of these 5-10 teams, not this current bullshit of one or two teams. It's fucking ugly.

Also I think I may buy a Rubio singlet :shifty:

Last week Brandon Jennings got off to a hot start against Derrick Rose and I think Rose remembered. in the first 6 minutes Rose had 16 points and basically treated Jennings like Big Ben treats women in bathrooms.

I think Josh Smith deserved the nod this year. Pierce seemed to get in just because Boston 'had' to have someone.

I'll say this. In Horford's absence, Smith has done what he does best -- short of acting like a complete jackanape. He's the best player on that team and sorely needed (see: tonight against Orlando.)

And I'd welcome Jennings in Atlanta, though I think it'd only be a marginal upgrade from what we've got, and we'd probably have to take on Jackson's huge contract.