NBA Thread 2011-12

sahyder1

This right here is what you call general managin'.

It's kind of a 'duh' story, yeah, but wondering where any one of these guys could wind up is good enough water cooler/forum talk.

First of all, unless it's a killer deal, any of the guys being dealt are going to the West. Especially Garnett, who will likely see this as Boston raping his family and kicking his dog, no matter what they do. Hell, even this article being posted will lead to him strangling hookers out of frustration. He's off-center like that.

Dalls could be interesting for Pierce or Allen, as Odom just isn't working. Pheonix could grab any of them to spark their offense (though that team's lean enough as it is, doubt they'd have the fodder to entice a swap.)

The only one I'd take is Pierce and I have a feeling he is too hard to pry away from Boston.

KG is too shaky with his health and you're going to get nothing for a 36 year old SG.

I don't know if Pierce could really go without a PG that can guide him. Someone like Nash? Definitely. Someone like, say, Jeff Teague in Atlanta? Nooooo.

(Not saying Pierce could/should go to Atlanta, just sayin' he'd be yelling at Josh Smith and having bone transplants by the playoffs.)

The only one I'd take is Pierce and I have a feeling he is too hard to pry away from Boston.

KG is too shaky with his health and you're going to get nothing for a 36 year old SG.

I don't know that anyone would want any of those guys. KG's about 45 in terms of mileage. Ray Allen needs about 13 screens to get off a jumper and Pierce's body is breaking down. I think it's funny that the premise of the story is that Ainge is saying that Boston waited too long to break up the Bird Celtics, and this "Big 3" was kept together too long as well. Trading Perkins was the start of this slide. You can't trade your one tough young guy and keep all of the oldtimers if you're trying to rebuild.

Edited by naiwf

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/boston.htm

Maybe, but KG's in the last year of his deal and making $21+ million. Allen's in the last year at a more manageable $10 million. Pierce has 2 years and $32 million left after he makes $15+ million this year. Unless you're really looking to clear up cap space there's no need to absorb those contracts. Allen is really the only someone might considering trading for because he's the only one who won't require multiple pieces just to make the salaries work.

Pierce or Allen would the same kind of guys that Orlando has tried to put around Howard and since Howard is leaving there'd be no point blowing up the team again. The Magic need to get off of that treadmill of constantly acquiring guys like Rashard Lewis, Vince Carter, Turkey Glue and Arenas that are basically highly paid jump shooters who rely on double teams to get their shots. Once Howard is gone that team will be horrendous.

Which is why you take Allen's expiring contract or take Pierce for his defence and hope that he fits in and might convince Howard to sign an extension.

This will be my last post on this because we're not going to agree, but adding a 34 or 36 year old guy on his last legs is not going to convince Howard to re-up with Orlando. They'd have to give up someone like Turk and/or another player just to get either one of those guys due to salary issues and Allen would walk at the end of the season anyway. It's not going to make the team any better and there's no way Howard's going to lock himself into 4+ years in Orlando when neither Allen nor Pierce would be there when his new contract would expire. Howard will either end up in Dallas or as a Laker. This is why Ainge's statement is dumb. This Big 3 is just as old and broken down as the other one was, and no one is going to offer players of any talent for them, so it's going to end just as badly for Boston.

You're right, we won't. I'd trade Turkoglu for Allen. Or I'd take Pierce. Not because they are going to be around for 10 more years, but because they bring a veteran presence and can hopefully galvanise a team and implement a positive ethos and culture in the locker room. I would assume that neither KG or Allen will be wanting or expecting massive contracts. So you can trade some of your own really shit contracts (if Boston are dumb enough to take them) and you are buying the right to hopefully settle your youngish team this year and hopefully get to keep them for a lower price next year.

It's not the world's most exciting thing, but I do think it may win you an extra 5 games just having them in the locker room and on the bench. I think it's far too simple to just compare stats or age or how much time a player has left. I think it's necessary to look at how they will fit into the team and if they will bring them together or pull them apart.

The issue is that Boston aren't likely to get any value for them. The only way they get anything great is if a young team has overloaded in a certain position. I mean I'd trade Ridnour and another young guard if it would get me Ray Allen so Rubio has a legitimate 2 man to play with. Or Pierce to help guard the perimeter. But It's still not great value for Boston. At most I guess Min could add Pekovic or Randolph, but it's not going to help Boston rebuild. Even though they now have three players who are (or will be) capable of being starting PFs I wouldn't necessarily give up Beasley for all three.

So I agree to some degree. I think there is quite a bit of value in all three if you have a young team or are missing a piece of the puzzle (the Lakers would likely be happy if they could get Pierce I'd imagine) the issue is they aren't worth enough to give anything much up for. Although for another ageing team it may be worth giving up a decent younger player so you can unload a larger contract for Allen's expiring one to leave you in the hunt for a big free agent.

But I don't get why Boston aren't happy having $31 million in the kitty at the end of the year which they can hopefully turn into a decent player and offer one or two year contracts to Allen and KG.

OKC has signed Westbrook to a multi-year extension. While I'm happy to see him reup with a small market team I have said before I thought they were better suited getting a king's ransom for him and bringing in a more defensive-minded and pass happy PG. Maybe it won't matter if Ibaka and Perk make it impossible to beat OKC inside but they're taking a huge risk putting all their eggs in this basket.

This right here is what you call general managin'.

It's kind of a 'duh' story, yeah, but wondering where any one of these guys could wind up is good enough water cooler/forum talk.

First of all, unless it's a killer deal, any of the guys being dealt are going to the West. Especially Garnett, who will likely see this as Boston raping his family and kicking his dog, no matter what they do. Hell, even this article being posted will lead to him strangling hookers out of frustration. He's off-center like that.

Dalls could be interesting for Pierce or Allen, as Odom just isn't working. Pheonix could grab any of them to spark their offense (though that team's lean enough as it is, doubt they'd have the fodder to entice a swap.)

It'd be really hard to move Pierce since he has two years left on his deal, and because of what he means to Boston... I just don't see how Boston trades Pierce away and the fans being okay with it unless they get something awesome in return. I really think the C's best move is to just hold onto KG and Allen because more than likely they won't get anything worth of value in return and I think it'd be better to be a mediocre team this year and have 30 mil come off the cap at the end of this season.

Changing subjects; who are you guys voting for in the all-star game?