Euro 2004

pigeon

Guest Rip_WFC

9 to 5 England could go that far if the players are chosen on form and not reputation. I'm not supporting one specific country, I just want to watch exciting and entertaining games. But I do like the French and Czech sides.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

England coach Sven-Goran Eriksson feels his squad is far better equipped for success at Euro 2004 than it was for the World Cup two years ago.

The Swede led England to the quarter-finals in Japan and Korea despite a catalogue of injuries which left a number of players less than 100 per cent fit and others unable to play at all.

Now, with two years' more experience under the belts of the players and the emergence of the likes of Wayne Rooney and Frank Lampard, Eriksson is in upbeat mood with friendlies to come against Japan and Iceland this week.

He said: 'The fitness level is much better. We don't have any injuries as we had two years ago, when Steven Gerrard and Gary Neville did not even come to the tournament.

'David Beckham was not fully fit [nor was Michael Owen], Danny Murphy also, so it looks much, much better and that's good.'

The players and coaching staff have spent the last week on the Italian island of Sardinia, and Eriksson was delighted at how it went.

'The week in Sardinia was good in general. It was good for the group mentality, combining work with a holiday. I think most of the players needed it after a long, long season,' he told Sky Sports News.

Eriksson's plan for the friendly against Japan is set to be the tried-and-tested formula of starting with what he sees as his strongest starting XI, before introducing others after the break to 'prove him wrong'.

Eriksson admitted he would be aiming for a win against France in England's opening match on June 13.

'France may be the strongest squad in this tournament but it is better to win [against France] than to draw. I could maybe accept that [a draw] - it is not that bad, not at all.'

The Swede also believes Everton striker Rooney has the opportunity to make his mark on the tournament.

'I hope Wayne will be the big surprise in the tournament but he is 18 years old so we should not put too much pressure on him.

'Everything we are doing and have done in the last week and will do in the next two weeks is for the tournament. Tomorrow we start with what we think is the best team but I will see how many substitutes I use. I do not know now.'

He added: 'Maybe it is not necessary for the players to play 90 minutes. On the other hand those who who do not start need matches as well. Some will not have played in a month.

'Japan will make life difficult. I hope England do not lose but I am sure Japan will try to beat us. I would rather not to lose the France game. That is much more important to me.'

England goalkeeper David James believes the 'family unit' of the national squad can return home triumphant from Portugal.

The Manchester City number one, who will line up at his home ground for England against Japan tomorrow night, is encouraged by what he has seen over the last two years.

He said: 'The intention is to go and win. We've got the talent on the coaching side, we've got the team - and by that I mean the entire squad. Provided everyone is going in the right direction and maximising their performance, we've got a chance, a very good chance.'

James felt the training camp in Sardinia had been beneficial as a team-bonding exercise.

'We enjoyed each other's company very well,' he said. 'We've grown in the nucleus of squad. We have a good number of players in both squads (for the 2002 World Cup and Euro 2004) and with the age and experience we have it will have grown.

'I am the granddad of the team at 33. The age of the team has come down, there is a lot of experience and a lot of youngsters which is good.'

James is delighted to go into the tournament as his country's number one, but believes he always felt part of things even when David Seaman was above him in Eriksson's pecking order.

'One thing I said while I was in Japan was that I felt so much a part of the squad.

'The gaffer had got me in amongst the squad and I didn't feel alienated in any way, to have my chance to start has been just a growth in a family unit if you like. It feels like a natural progression.

Source

I think Rooney could be making a huge impact at this year's Euro, he definitely has the potential to do that. I'm not so sure about David James tho. He's just an accident waiting to happen.

'France may be the strongest squad in this tournament but it is better to win [against France] than to draw. I could maybe accept that [a draw] - it is not that bad, not at all.'

Insightful as ever, eh Sven.

Guest BigDirty

besides england is like bayer leverkusen, they can´t win annything.

That's so true, but at least Leverkusen fans are smart enough to know that they won't win big titles. ;)

But 1966 will forever be remembered.

What do you remember, that you bought the ref, because you had no other chance to win the cup?

What do you remember, that you bought the ref, because you had no other chance to win the cup?

No, he sees England playing well and winning the world cup. Did Maradona bribe the ref in 86? Don't think so, sometimes shit happens.

After watching England vs Japan, I'm depressed. Ashley Cole was the only decent player IMO, with flashes from Lampard.

I love how German people think there national team are amazing, face it, nowadays they are just shit compared to what they once was. I can't see them getting past the semis to be quite honest.

As for England, poor performance tonight. I don't like Japan either so it was a shame to see them play better than England in the second half.

Guest BigDirty

I love how German people think there national team are amazing, face it, nowadays they are just shit compared to what they once was. I can't see them getting past the semis to be quite honest.

Believe me nobody in Germany thinks that we have a great national team. But I think we're 2nd in the World Cup 2002, that's not too bad is it?

I love how English people think their national team is amazing, eventhough they suck at every tournament. ;)

I love how English people think their national team is amazing, eventhough they suck at every tournament. ;)

That would be all the non-football fans who jump on the bandwagon, and actually don't recognise half of the England squad.

The rest of us know that England COULD have a good team, if only Sven listened to our team selections.....*sigh*

Edited by TheArsenal

Believe me nobody in Germany thinks that we have a great national team. But I think we're 2nd in the World Cup 2002, that's not too bad is it?

Yeah not realise I support Italy mate? ;)

England 1-1 Japan: FT Report

Frank Lampard may have little to reproach himself for, yet the ifs and Butts remain as large as ever for Sven-Goran Eriksson as he ponders England's Euro 2004 midfield.

One figure should, above all others, dominate Eriksson's mind over the next 10 days. Not Thierry Henry, not even Robert Pires, Patrick Vieira or David Trezeguet, but Zinedine Zidane.

Eriksson's impersonation of a Kevin Keegan midfield at the City of Manchester stadium against Japan may have added to England's attacking options.

Indeed, Lampard himself, who was chosen ahead of Nicky Butt in the holding midfield role, performed admirably in the experimental circumstances.

However, even though England seized the lead on 23 minutes through Michael Owen, they lost control of the game thereafter.

Japan were allowed far too much time and space from which to launch their attacks and Shinji Ono duly equalised seven minutes into the second-half.

Moreover, their own creative attacking midfielder, Shumsuke Nakamura is no Zidane and the French midfield maestro will lick his lips at the prospect of exploiting the gaps in England's midfield.

Then again, all the normal caveats must, of course, apply.

This was a friendly, the players were intent on avoiding injury - even if Gary Neville did, rather worryingly, limp off - and, come June 13, this result will matter not a jot.

Yet like it or not, Butt - or, indeed, Owen Hargreaves, Phil Neville or Ledley King, who have all played in the holding role for their clubs this season - would give England exactly the ``balance'' which Eriksson believes is so crucial.

And if Lampard is not at fault, then - whisper it quietly - maybe, just maybe, the time has come for the England coach to at least consider leaving out Paul Scholes instead.

Without an international goal in 26 appearances, he was patently off the pace in the City of Manchester Stadium, not just in his shooting, but also even in his normally exemplary tackling.

Lampard, meanwhile, had to restrain his normal game, with Steven Gerrard and David Beckham attempting to share the defensive burden with him.

The Chelsea midfielder at least settled quickly into the unaccustomed role, breaking up a Japanese attack to launch a counter offensive which resulted in Tsuneyasu Miyamoto heading over his own bar.

From the ensuing corner, John Terry's powerful header was only half-saved by keeper Seigo Narazaki but was just hooked off the line in time.

Lampard had a shot deflected over the bar but England seized the lead when Narazaki failed to handle Gerrard's speculative long-range effort and Owen swooped on the rebound with glee.

England nevertheless then relaxed on their lead and Japan were, rather worryingly, allowed to swarm forward in numbers.

David James was forced to produce three reaction saves, while Ashley Cole also timed a last-ditch tackle to perfection to deny Keiji Tamada.

Scholes, meanwhile, was racing about recklessly, missing tackles and almost conceding a penalty when he clashed with Alessandro Santos.

And even Wayne Rooney showed his wild side in seemingly attempting to slap Shinji Ono as he fell to the ground.

England needed to rediscover their discipline but, after Lampard had shot just over the bar, they were caught napping in defence just seven minutes after the restart.

Nakamura was allowed far too much space in which to dictate play before setting Santos free down the left flank to cross for Ono to beat James.

Eriksson kept his first-choice XI on for a full 76 minutes, but while Narazaki was called upon to block Owen's shot after a neat turn, Japan still largely dictated the game.

Indeed, while Lampard sat deeper and deeper, Nakamura - again in space - still let fly from 20 yards with a shot which flew just wide of James' upright.

Ono also shot just wide and James failed to hold onto Santos' cross-shot but he was not punished.

Eriksson finally started making his changes, with Neville being caught in a late tackle by Takayuki Suzuki and replaced by his brother Phil.

Campbell, meanwhile, directed a header just wide and Joe Cole also threatened, but the draw was about as decisive as Eriksson's midfield experiment.

In truth, the question remains unanswered. Time, however, is running out for Eriksson to find the solution and Zidane lies in wait.

Get Scholes out of the starting XI already. And I think that Scott Parker would do very well as a holding midfielder.

I thought John Terry was Englands weak link yesterday. With Rooney, Beckham and Scholes also looking poor. Terry just didn't seem to have any pace and seemed to be caught out one to many times. And put Phil Neville on in place of Scholes. Played regualry this season unlike Butt and has a lot of experience to offer.

I love how English people think their national team is amazing, eventhough they suck at every tournament. 

Er.... 5-1!!!

*runs away before he can be reminded of World Cup 90, Euro 96 and Germany's other successes*

Guest Pirate Chasin' Booty

Lets wait till your country wins the tournament, then feel free to brag. Sven won't play that same team against France if he plans on winning/drawing.

His boner for Paul Scholes will die down soon.

Sven-Goran Eriksson will again warn Wayne Rooney that he must control his temperament ahead of the Euro 2004 finals - or risk being sent off.

Rooney escaped with a verbal warning during last night's friendly against Japan, when he lashed out at Shinji Ono after being fouled.

The 18-year-old striker failed to make contact with his arm, but referee Roberto Rosetti would surely have taken action against him in a competitive match.

After reviewing the video of the 1-1 draw, Eriksson was - not for the first time - set to remind Rooney to control himself when it matters most in Portugal this summer.

'I understood that something had happened but I didn't see it. Wayne Rooney missed the ball and did something,' accepted Eriksson.

'In a competitive match, he would have had at least a yellow card. I will see it again on video and then I will decide. But if it's like people have said, then, of course, I will talk to him.'

While David Beckham has largely learned to control his own hot-blooded temperament, despite his two red cards this season for Real Madrid, Rooney remains England's most combustible individual.

Moreover, the Everton forward may be experiencing some frustration as he is still short of his best form, a fact acknowledged by Eriksson.

'He's not as brilliant as he was but I'm sure that will return,' he said.

'I'm sure that, on June 13, he will be much better physically than he was against Japan. He has been working very hard in training.'

Paul Scholes' tackling also remains a concern, given that he is prone to launching himself into full-blooded challenges at inopportune moments.

The Manchester United midfielder escaped giving away a penalty against Japan when he challenged Alessandro Santos, but was even later with several other tackles.

Asked if he could ensure Scholes timed his tackles better, Eriksson admitted: 'I don't think you can do that in 12 days!

'But he played very well in the first half and makes everyone play.'

Source

Gary Neville has backed Sven Goran Eriksson's perseverance with the `diamond' formation after hailing the current England squad as 'the most technically gifted' he has played in.

But the Manchester United defender warned that England will be punished in the Euro 2004 opener with France if Zinedine Zidane, Thierry Henry and Co are allowed the amount of possession that Japan enjoyed in Tuesday's friendly international.

Eriksson opted to play four attack orientated players in the middle of the park in Paul Scholes, David Beckham, Steven Gerrard and Frank Lampard with the latter having to adopt the holding role in front of the back four.

Neville believes it is a million miles away from the rigid 4-4-2 system that was used by Kevin Keegan in Euro 2000 when England exited at the group stages - and a step in the right direction.

Neville said: 'It (the diamond) is the best system for us to employ and I don't think that will change.

'England teams have been too flat in midfield in previous tournaments with two lines of four.

'In Euro 2000 4-4-2 was set in stone, really rigid lines. This team is not about that. It's a move forward for us.

'This allows us to be a bit more fluent with the way we play and allows players like Scholes, Beckham and Gerrard to interchange. With Rooney dropping in there as well, it is more fluent than in the past.

'We've also got the midfielders to score in Beckham and Scholes, then you see the shooting of Gerrard while Lampard has made a career at West Ham and Chelsea of arriving late in the box.'

Neville added: 'People ask about the danger of four people bombing forward at the same time but they're intelligent footballers and it would be an insult to suggest one couldn't sit in there and hold.

'We are comfortable with the system and I thought the first half hour against Japan was fantastic, some great passing and movement.

'They got space behind us when we got a little bit tired and we will have to defend well as a team against France with the quality they have going forward.

'If we give them the possession Japan had then we would be in a little bit more trouble because people like Henry, Zidane and Pires will open you up and find the gaps.'

Neville claimed: 'Technically, this is the best England team I have played in. Euro `96 had a lot of powerful figures like Adams, Shearer, Platt, Ince, Pearce, Gascoigne and Sheringham.

'But in the past I don't think any England team would have been able to leave out players like Joe Cole, Butt, Dyer and Hargreaves which was the case on Tuesday.'

Neville knows that it is vitally important that England hit their peak for kick-off time against France in Lisbon on June 13.

He said: 'We had trained hard in Sardinia and we did tire quite a bit against Japan but it was the first game for two and a half weeks for some players and you can be rusty when you don't play for so long.

'It was a really good fitness test for us and you will see a better performance on Saturday against Iceland and hopefully a lot better performance against France.

'At 7.30 on Sunday week is when we have to be at our peak and ready to deliver. What happened on Tuesday will be forgotten about then. We hope it all comes right on the night.'

Source

Rooney could be a huge hit if he controls his temper. Like I said before, he can make an impact at Euro 2004.