Euro 2004

pigeon

Dick Advocaat has admitted his Holland side were poor against Republic of Ireland on Saturday and is ready to change the system for Euro 2004.

The Oranje were sluggish in the opening 45 minutes and were undone by a Robbie Keane goal on the stroke of half time.

There were signs of improvement after the break when wingers were introduced, but they could not find a way through.

Advocaat admitted the display was poor, but is not ready to panic ahead of the opening game with Germany.

"It was a very bad game," he conceded. "Nothing sits well tonight.

"The complete squad did not look good.

"Everyone will stand together. We have ten days before we face Germany."

The Dutch looked ill at ease in the first half using a diamond formation and Advocaat has confirmed they will assess all options over the next week.

"On Tuesday, I will sit down and talk about the system with the players," said the former Rangers boss.

"If the players feel more comfortable in a 4-3-3, it is clear that we will go with that."

Source

Raul believes the Spain squad is in good shape ahead of this summer's European Championship and is confident the team can beat anyone at the tournament.

Inaki Saez's side have stayed relatively injury free, although Real Madrid wing back Michel Salgado was ruled out of the tournament with a thigh injury.

Raul believes that the side need to be prepared mentally for the Championship, as on their day, they have the talent to overcome any side in Portugal.

"Physically we are in optimum shape, we have been training really well and now we have to reflect that in the tournament itself," said Raul.

"Apart from the injury to Michel (Salgado) we've had a very positive time here and we really believe that if we do things well we can beat any team in Portugal.

"Obviously if we don't do that we'll be on our way home, but there's no doubt that we will be doing everything we can to fight for Spain and for Spanish football."

"It is clear that we have a very important group of players here who have become even more united as a result of having to go through the difficult situation of a play-off against Norway.

"We are all confident that we can do well."

Source

Real Madrid playmaker Zinedine Zidane has confidently declared that France will triumph over England at Euro 2004 and that Sven Goran Eriksson's side have a weak defence.

The two sides are to meet on June 13 in the opening game of Group B and the majestic midfielder is predicting only one winner in what is sure to be a fraught encounter.

''There is no doubt that France will win against England,'' declared Zidane.

''They have a good midfield and attack, but the worst part about the team is definitely the defence.

''The last line is fundamental in a team and England's back four do not exactly instill me with confidence.

''If they want to do well they must improve at the back.

''At the moment, there's is no way we will lose against them - and I confidently predict a 1-0 victory against England.''

Despite Zidane's cocksure attitude towards Eriksson's outfit, the player does concede that England do have the players to progress in the summer and that the two sides could meet later in the tournament.

''But, I would like it if England could go far and perhaps we could meet them again,'' continued Zidane.

''I think that England has a great team. Their players are experienced and they have some real quality in their side.

''If they can recover from defeat against us in the first game, then I think that they have what it takes to go far in the tournament.''

Source

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

germany lost 2-0 at kaiserslautern (town in germany, so considert a home game) in their last pre Euro testgame. (against belgium - who are officialy not as god as 50 years ago)

it could have been woorth, belgium üplayed very good, germany could have scored here and there to, but we are lacking a good striker in the natinal team HARD. (i so hate that klose is comming to bremen....)

Former Liverpool manager Gerard Houllier gives an in depth team by team guide to the 16 countries getting ready to battle it out for the title of European Champions 2004 

GROUP A

Portugal:

They will thrive on the pressure home advantage brings and are undoubtedly blessed with a host of quality players. Their manager Scolari knows what is required, knows how to keep a squad focused and is a leader. He will probably play a 4-2-3-1 system which gives them a lot of options going forward.

One to watch: Pauleta (Paris St Germain)

Russia:

Having struggled to qualify through the play offs when they beat Wales I cannot see how Russia will have an impact on the tournament. Not many of their players play for top European clubs and when the opposition is this strong that will be a hindrance to them.

One to watch: Dmitri Bulykin (Dynamo Moscow)

Greece

Not many teams will play five across the back but Greece will play 5-4-1 or 5-3-1-1 and subsequently will be very difficult to beat. Greece topped their qualifying group after beating Spain, but even though they have been paired again I would be surprised if there is a repeat of that result.

One to watch: Demis Nikolaidis (Atletico Madrid)

Spain

There is no doubting Spain have quality throughout their side. They always qualify for finals but never seem to set them alight. Spain had a difficult qualifying campaign, but they will reach the second round along with Portugal.

One to watch: Fernando Torres (Atletico Madrid)

GROUP B

Croatia

They will play five at the back but England should be able to find a way through. They will concede goals and I do not see where they will pose a threat to England. People will know of Dado Prso because of Monaco's run to the Champions League final and Croatia will look to feed him whenever they can.

One to watch: Igor Tudor (Juventus)

Switzerland

They will play 4-4-2 and under coach Jakob Kuhn will be organised, but again they are competing for pride only.

One to watch: Hakan Yakin (Stuttgart)

France

France will feel they have something to prove after what happened in Japan two years ago. They were tired in the last World Cup. There is a hunger about the French. Henry will do well and you know that Zidane will give you a good performance. They are still an intimidating team but the opening match will be a draw - and England will meet France again in the final.

One to watch: Thierry Henry (Arsenal)

England

Even with injuries to Woodgate and Southgate and the absence of Ferdinand, England are strong defensively. Likewise, the midfield is good. My concern with England is they are a bit thin in attack and in that case will have rely on the individual brilliance of Owen and Rooney. Sven has done a good job with the national team. Just look at his record - one defeat in competitive matches - and maybe he does not get the praise he deserves.

One to watch: Steven Gerrard (Liverpool)

GROUP C

Italy

I know Italy are a lot of peoples favourites for Euro 2004 but I am not sure of their attacking qualities. They have the graft in midfield with the likes of Gattuso and Zanetti but I am not sure they will have the guile where it matters most. They will progress from this group but further on those shortcomings might be exposed.

One to watch: Gianluigi Buffon (Juventus)

Bulgaria

It will be tough for them to progress from the group. Everyone associates the likes of Stoichkov and Lechkov with them, but they have a new wave of players coming through.

One to watch: Stilian Petrov (Celtic)

Denmark

Denmark will prove a difficult team to break down. They are well organised and workmanlike, but have one or two players who can provide a spark. There will not be a lot of pressure on them and if they can get a draw against Italy in their opening game it will give them a lot of confidence.

One to watch: Jesper Gronkjaer (Chelsea)

Sweden

Persuading Henrik Larsson to come out of retirement will obviously be a boost to their chances of qualifying for the second round. Alongside Larsson Sweden will probably play Ibrahimovic. If he stays calm and focused, Sweden may just edge out Denmark in terms of their attacking ability.

One to watch: Zlatan Ibrahimovic (Ajax)

GROUP D

Germany

Rudi Voller will have to go back to a five man defence if Germany are to progress from this group. They are not the quickest at the back and when you have slow defenders you have to have a functional defence. Germany are in a difficult group and it will be between them and the Czech Republic for second place behind Holland.

One to watch: Michael Ballack (Bayern Munich)

Latvia

For Latvia, just being at Euro 2004 is an achievement. They beat Turkey in a play off which was impressive and shows that on their day they can cause problems. However, they have been drawn in a difficult group and just picking up a few points will be a feat.

One to watch: Marian Pahars (Southampton)

Czech Republic

There are those who regard the Czech Republic as dark horses, but I do not think so. The coach will play either 4-4-2 or 4-5-1 and much of the style revolves around the towering Jan Koller in attack. Milan Baros would be Koller's favoured partner and the Czechs look good in attack. Their keyman is undoubtedly Nedved. He is creative, hard working and does a lot of damage around the box.

One to watch: Pavel Nedved (Juventus)

Holland

The team that boast the best strikers will go furthest in the tournament, but you can have too much of a good thing. Having so many good strikers can also be a problem. What cannot happen is for competition for places - and egos - to jeopardise the team's chances. If that is not a hindrance then Holland can have a good tournament.

One to watch: Rafael Van Der Vaart (Ajax)

source: liverpoolfc.tv

Guest BigDirty

germany lost 2-0 at kaiserslautern (town in germany, so considert a home game) in their last pre Euro testgame. (against belgium - who are officialy not as god as 50 years ago)

it could have been woorth, belgium üplayed very good, germany could have scored here and there to, but we are lacking a good striker in the natinal team HARD. (i so hate that klose is comming to bremen....)

Belgium?!? Looked like Hungary to me. I hate Matthäus after the win he talks about 'the wonder of Kaiserslautern' because they won a friendly?!?!? wtf?!?!?

Italy

I know Italy are a lot of peoples favourites for Euro 2004 but I am not sure of their attacking qualities. They have the graft in midfield with the likes of Gattuso and Zanetti but I am not sure they will have the guile where it matters most. They will progress from this group but further on those shortcomings might be exposed.

One to watch: Gianluigi Buffon (Juventus)

Wow, that source talks so much shit. For a start, Gattuso isn't even set to start games, so I don't see why he is mentioning him over the likes of Totti.

I dunno about you guys, but I am really really looking foward to Euro 2004. I cant wait for Sunday. An on The Amp they are doing a 'Come on England' video hour, with all the England songs and stuff :D Its great. Possibly the finest music video EVER (due to the John Barnes rap), World in Motion, is on :D:D:D

Not to be funny or anything, but why is everyone saying they cant wait for Sunday? Yeah its the opening England game, but the tourniment starts of Saturday doesn't it?

I'm really tempted to put a bet on two teams. Italy for sure and then I'm thinking Czech Republic, I think they can really be the outside team of this tourniment.

Not to be funny or anything, but why is everyone saying they cant wait for Sunday? Yeah its the opening England game, but the tourniment starts of Saturday doesn't it?

I'm really tempted to put a bet on two teams. Italy for sure and then I'm thinking Czech Republic, I think they can really be the outside team of this tourniment.

I saw a really good bet today:

France to win Euro 2004 with Henry as top goalscorer - 17/2

I am soooo tempted by that!

Probably because most people are supporting England and for us the tournament starts on Sunday.

To a lesser extent, Saturday :P

Guest Pirate Chasin' Booty

I like the way Zidane says France will definitely win no matter what, and then predicts a 1-0 victory, that doesn't seem like such a confident score for a win to me.

As for the sunday thing, theres a difference between watching an international game and watching your country play an international game, I care about games directly linking to England more than I care about any other games.

Guest Red Devil

I'm with Mudda on this one, i do like watching internationals but when they're your own team playing it's different. In other matches you don't feel no emotion towards it and for Sunday's match i think there are 2 reason why everyone is looking forward to it, being an England fan and supporting them is one and the other is that England v France is the first 'Big Match' of Euro 2004 so if that's a great match we know what to expect.

I think the thing thats great about this year's Euro 2004, is that there are 10 teams with a genuine chance of winning (England, France, Italy, Holland, Czech Rep, Germany, Spain, Portugal, Sweden and Denmark).

Personally, I think Portugal will win it, but if you want a good outsider pick Denmark at 40-1 each way. Sweden are something like that too

I find it funny that people are saying Italy will win it this year. Bullshit. Everyone but Portugal can be beat this year. I want England to win 100%, but if it's not England, it'll be Portugal. They are at home, and they have a great side. Look at it:

England = Beatable, and rely mostly on luck

Portugal = At home and a strong team

France = Their defence can be beaten, if you are on your game

Germany = Not as strong as they use to be

Italy = Same as Germany

Spain = Haven't been a massive force for years

Netherlands = An underdog team I feel, but still beatable

Sweden = England's bogey team, but beatable

Czech Republic = Another underdog team, but beatable

Out of all of them, I'd rate Portugal as the #1 team to win if England don't.

I set up the Tip/Guss/Bet ore whatever you english guys call it PHP game, i postet about it in forum games sinc i did not know about all games going there ore not.

http://www.ewbattleground.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2567

i hope some people care about this and we have some more fun than we would have just talking about it. :)