Euro 2004

pigeon

That may be becaue he's at Leeds.

Fair point, but what about past seasons?

According to Skysports,

Smith scored 9 goals in 36 starts this season.

And he scored 10 goals with 46 starts in the 02/03 season.

He scored a grand total of 4 goals with 31 starts in the 01/02 season.

Hardly considered good for a striker, IMHO.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reyes, Mista miss out on Spain squad

MADRID, May 20 (Reuters) - Spain coach Inaki Saez opted for a conservative Euro 2004 squad, naming eight defenders and leaving out Arsenal striker Jose Antonio Reyes on Thursday.

Experienced players from Real Madrid and champions Valencia made up the backbone of the 23-man squad which will play hosts Portugal, Greece and Russia in Group A.

The coach said 20-year-old Reyes, who has won four caps and scored two goals for Spain in the Euro qualifier against Armenia in October, had not yet reached maturity.

'Reyes is a man of the future for the national side,' Saez said.

As well as Reyes, Saez left out Valencia attacker Mista, the highest-scoring Spaniard in this year's Primera Liga with 19 goals. Mista's stunning form helped his side seal a league and UEFA Cup double this season.

'My experience of international tournaments is that central defenders always receive the most punishment, and in the final - which is what we aim to reach - you are always short of defenders,' Saez said.

'So I have put another man in at the back.'

Saez named Raul despite the Spanish captain's poor season with Real Madrid. Fellow striker Fernando Morientes of Monaco also won a place after a brilliant Champions League campaign.

Saez opted for versatile Barcelona defender Gabri to plug any holes in the Spanish defence, saying he was familiar with the player from coaching the Spanish youth team which won the 1999 World Cup in Nigeria.

Defensive stalwarts Ivan Helguera and Michel Salgado of Real Madrid, and Carles Puyol of Barcelona are included and Betis's Juanito won a place despite his side's indifferent league form.

Spain, who have not lost in nine internationals, will rely on first choice goalkeeper Iker Casillas of Real Madrid.

Athletic Bilbao's 24-year-old goalkeeper Daniel Aranzubia was named in the squad for the first time.

Goalkeepers: Iker Casillas (Real Madrid), Santiago Canizares (Valencia), Daniel Aranzubia (Athletic Bilbao)

Defenders: Carles Puyol (Barcelona), Ivan Helguera (Real Madrid), Carlos Marchena (Valencia), Michel Salgado (Real Madrid), Gabri (Barcelona), Raul Bravo (Real Madrid), Cesar (Deportivo Coruna), Juanito (Betis)

Midfielders: Juan Carlos Valeron (Deportivo Coruna), Xabi Alonso (Real Sociedad), Ruben Baraja (Valencia), Vicente (Valencia), David Albelda (Valencia), Joaquin (Real Betis), Xavi (Barcelona)

Forwards: Raul (Real Madrid), Albert Luque (Deportivo Coruna), Fernando Torres (Atletico Madrid), Fernando Morientes (Monaco), Joseba Etxeberria (Athletic Bilbao)

Source

Guest Pirate Chasin' Booty

Its probably a kick in the teeth when you help your nation qualify (okay it was against a crap team) and then don't get picked in the final squad, I'd say it was a bad decision, he could of really shown his flair, and if they've been watching his recent matches he's really starting to shine again.

I suppose I should be happy he's not included, I wouldn't like to see him getting on the end of a shot just outside the box against David James.

SANTA MARGHERITA DI PULA, Italy, May 25 (Reuters) - England captain David Beckham says he has nothing to prove to sceptics at Euro 2004 after his first season in Spain ended in disappointment.

The Real Madrid star vented his fury at coverage of his personal life as he described as 'disgraceful' the treatment of his family by two newspapers - the News of the World and the Daily Mail - and the Sky News television channel.

However, to his credit, Beckham still spoke to the entire media party assembled at England's pre-tournament training base in Sardinia today despite earlier asking for some individuals to be excluded.

While still stressing his displeasure with those publications, he noted his responsibility to speak publicly as England captain.

Beckham, who made a bright start to his move to the Primera Liga from Manchester United, has faced a growing number of critics over his performances in Spain as Real finished the season without a trophy.

'I don't think I've got anything to prove to people,' Beckham said. 'Since I moved to Real Madrid, from the first game onwards, I had to prove to people in Spain that I could actually play football instead of just selling shirts and I felt that I've done that.'

'I'm disappointed not to have won anything at the end of the season. But I'm into a major championship now and with the team we've got, you never know what's going to happen.'

Beckham said he had no plans to return to the premier league, dismissing speculation in the British media that a move to big-spending Chelsea was imminent.

'Whatever rumours there were about me moving back to England were never started by me,' he said. 'I was always happy at Real Madrid and wanted to stay there and that's the way it's been in my mind.

'I've just had to clear it up for other people... I'm very happy at the moment and looking forward to this championship.'

DISAPPOINTING SEASON

Real's disappointing season led on Monday to the sacking of coach Carlos Queiroz after only one season and his replacement by former Spain boss Jose Antonio Camacho.

'It's always a disaster for a manager to only get one season but clubs are different around Europe...and what the president says always goes,' Beckham said when asked about Queiroz, who had been assistant manager at United.

Despite the problems at club level, Beckham is buoyant about England's prospects at Euro 2004 in Portugal.

'There'll always be a sense of failure if we don't win the thing because the expectations with the manager, the fans and everyone from our country is very high. And rightly so.

'We've got a great bunch of players, a lot of talent in the team...and we've got our own expectations. And they're as high as anyone else's.

'One of my goals is to win something with England. If we can do that this summer, then great. If not, I'll carry on trying.'

As for his fitness, Beckham said he had a minor ankle knock but was a lot more upbeat than before the 2002 World Cup, where he had not fully recovered from a broken foot.

'I've not broken any bones so far before this competition,' he said. 'Leading into the World Cup I felt 95 percent fit. But going into this I'm fresh...I'm a lot more confident.'

Beckham had an open mind on his position in Portugal, having played a central midfield role for Real after a career on the right.

'I've enjoyed my time in the centre this season but whatever position the manager puts me in I'll play there. If that's the position I've always played for England in, then great.'

England open their campaign in Group B on June 13 against champions France before facing Switzerland and Croatia.

Source

IMO, he still has to prove that he is able to perform well for England despite a disappointing season at Real and what's going on in his personal life.

Every big tournament, my family have a gambling thing..... everyone puts £4 in and you get two teams. If one of your team then wins the tournament, then you get all of the money people put in, so you'd get £28. My two teams are Spain and England :/ The 'almost' teams. :(

David Beckham will tell the press to fuck off by firing England to a 1-0 win over France.

I don't know why people are worrying about the prospect of France, we ALWAYS elevate our performance when playing the good teams. We were shitting ourselves about playing Germany away, and we all know how that ended.

hint, germany issent good, germany just is lucky more often than england, thats why we win the important stuff while you always lose.

France has a kickass team, if they win it´s mostly because of qualety.

I wouldn't ay the 5-1 was a fluke. England were far and away the better team on the day. Germany have some good young players, such as Kuranyi (sp?), and always seem to get lucky, especially comapred to England. Just look at the last World Cup - England had one of, if not the hardest groups, while Germany had a guaranteed 3 points head start from Saudi Arabia.

France fuelled by fear of failure

Les Bleus aim to avoid errors of World Cup, says Amy Lawrence

Sunday May 30, 2004

The Observer

When they were not heckling Marcel Desailly, the 27,000 French critics casting their eye over the national team's preparations for the European Championship squealed for Zizou. To no avail. France's iconic number 10 stayed safely on the bench, alongside Thierry Henry, far out of reach of any reckless Andorran boot.  Only Robert Pires has played more games this season than the two most powerful weapons in France's squad. They are not exactly being wrapped in cotton wool, but carefully groomed. Jacques Santini, his staff, and the players themselves are only too aware that preparations for Euro 2004 are not to be taken lightly. The mistakes of World Cup 2002 cannot be repeated.

That turned out to be the worst ever defence of football's showpiece competition. Things began to go wrong when their choreographed send-off in Paris turning into a flaky defeat against Belgium. Then, their first warm-up match in the Far East was blighted by that crucial injury suffered by Zidane.

A sense of relief that they feel so much more in control of their preparations is a common theme. Take Mikael Silvestre: 'We feel so much better than in Asia. I had the impression that we had walked to Korea on foot. We felt burnt out. But now, we are much fresher. There has been more care about the level of our work we did for our clubs and our overall health.' All the physical tests carried out so far show the players are in better shape than the dreaded summer of 2002.

Patrick Vieira takes up the theme: 'Last time was really difficult, but now, of course, we have a new manager who really trusts us regarding how we want to work. He knows how we feel and last week was all about getting everybody right individually. When we met up some of the squad have played 30 games this year and some have played 50 games, and everyone has worked to an individual programme so we can all get to the same level physically.'

France spent last week in La Grande-Motte, a sleepy seaside town in the south-west, holed up with wives and girlfriends and their kids ranging from the age of six months (Silvestre's) to nine years (Zidane's). Having beaten Andorra 4-0 in a training match that was as comfortable as a pair of old slippers, the players were allowed the weekend off and will regroup next Tuesday at Clairfontaine. Then they crank everything up. Tactics, fine tuning and focus, culminating in next Sunday's friendly against the Ukraine - by which time they expect to be a full-strength team at full pelt. 'The most important thing is to make sure we are all fit and ready for the England game,' adds Vieira.

Santini's references to the target of June 13 are continual. He regards that date, and that opponent, as a crucial moment for his team (starting so badly against Senegal in the World Cup set an irreparably bad tone).

'It has a particular context,' he explains. 'The first match of the group gives the competition its dynamic. And this one is against an old rival where players are going to come up against club colleagues.

'For a game against England if you are not at 100 per cent you will suffer. A lot of our team have developed their careers in the Premiership. They are thinking about it already and all play a little bit at anticipating Eriksson's decisions.'

If any England players are second guessing Santini they would do well to remember that his door is still open in certain positions. Sylvain Wiltord, for example, was in such a pickle not long ago that he might have missed out on the squad altogether. But against Andorra he timed his runs to perfection to re-affirm his position as the first reserve anywhere in France's attack. He scored twice, made one, and popped up on both wings as well as through the middle. His return to striking form took his international tally to 22, which makes him the seventh highest scorer in the national team's all-time rankings.

Competition for places is driving everyone in the squad. 'Everyone tries to make it difficult for the manager to pick his starting 11. And that's why we're going to win the European Championship because every player is so driven,' proclaims Vieira.

'The motivation is palpable because we have a strong team with strong character. We are winners. And since the World Cup we wanted to show to everybody how good we are. We let ourselves, and so many people, down, and after such a terrible disappointment we are determined to successfully defend our European Championship.'

source: football.guardian.co.uk

Guest Rip_WFC

France have to strong favorites for this tournament, not many countries can match their squad in talent and experience. England has no chance of getting out of the group with their squad. I don't see them creating too many clearcut chances and they lack a true finisher up front. Croatia and Switzerland will surprise them and all of you with their talent. I see Croatia as darkhorse team that can cause a few upsets in the latter rounds and they'll start with England. Their team is completley solid all the way through, while England has too many questions, in goal, up front, midfield roles ect....

England coach Sven Goran Eriksson has dropped a broad hint that Frank Lampard will be given the nod to start the opening game against France.

The Chelsea midfielder has enjoyed a superb season at club level and is set to be rewarded with a starting role at Euro 2004 in Portugal.

Eriksson concedes Lampard's performances this season have made it virtually impossible for him to be overlooked for the team's first match against holders France.

The key decision now appears to rest on who Eriksson will axe in favour of Lampard with Paul Scholes admitting his place is under threat.

Scholes' Manchester United colleague Nicky Butt is more likely to make way, with Eriksson also hinting Steven Gerrard could play on the left side of midfield.

"I want to start the first game with my best 11, or the 11 we have in our heads," said Eriksson. "I don't mind if coaches see that team and learn our secrets.

"I think the way Frank Lampard has played this season means it's going to be difficult to leave him out.

"Let's see if Gerrard is going to play on the left or not. If he stays fit he'll be a very important player in this tournament.

"We have four top midfielders and we have to find the best formation."

Following a training camp in Sardinia, Eriksson is happy with the condition of his squad and feels England should be targeting a spot in the semi-finals of the European Championship.

He continued: "I feel confident. The players look a lot fitter than they did two years ago. The training sessions in Sardinia have gone well, almost too good.

"I feel much better going into this tournament than I did before the World Cup. I can't at the moment, see any problems. It's too good to be true.

"I think we have to at least get to the quarter finals for us not to be classed as failures and for me to keep on to my job.

"But if we play well and keep fit I'd like to think we can go farther than we did in Japan and reach the semi-finals."

Source

IMO, Lampard should play ahead of Scholes.

If he does make the change, it can only be good. Lampard has been fantastic this season and whist Scholes hasn't been bad he just hasn't done it for England. Hopefully the change will not only see Lamprd do well but also fire up Scholes some more. Only problem I can see is Lampard not being used to so many big international matches, but he has to learn some time.

Guest Rip_WFC

What does it matter is Lampard or Scholes starts in midfield....you guys aren't gonna get out of the group stage. However, Lampard has shown that he's been the better player this season. He was Chelsea's most consistent performer and he was more productive than Scholes. Yet, Eriksson will go with the more established player....which would have me worried if i was an England fan. The man thinks Heskey can do the job up front, he should've added an in form forward/ striker to his squad. So why would he play an in form Frank Lapard when he's got a stale Scholes instead?

Really think we won't get out of the group? I fully admit it won't be easy, but I see England getting to the semi's if most of the players are on form. May I ask what nation you are supporting Rip?

It's true, historically we won't get out of the group stage...

1980: 1st round

1984: Didn't qualify

1988: 1st round

1992: 1st round

1996: Semi finals

2000: 1st round

We could easily pull off a replay of Euro 2000 and lose to France, beat Switzerland, and draw against Croatia - thus going out on 4 points.

However, I have to believe that we will progress this time round, whether in first or second place will depend on the opening game against France. Or, if a draw, on the final game against Croatia. However if we only draw with Switzerland, say - ala Euro 1996, I think it was - then there could be difficulties.

In the Quarter Finals, Group B is drawn against Group A, so we could be up against Spain, Portugal, Russia, or Greece - all of whom, with the possible exception of Greece, are tricky if not difficult sides to play against. I think if we got Portugal, we'd go out here, host nation and all. However, with Russia we'd go through unless we're unlucky. We would have to be playing our best to beat Spain. We should be able to beat Greece. Therefore I think we'd have a good chance of getting through here as well.

Likely opponents for the Semi Finals would be anyone from Holland, Czech Republic, Germany, Italy, Denmark, or Sweden. If we do get this far, I don't see us getting to the Final. Barring a massive stroke of luck.

Conclusion: My reserved prediction is for England to reach the Quarter Finals, but my optimistic prediction is the Semi Finals. Now, if only Sven does decide to pick Lampard...

Edited by stokeriño

I'm pretty confident we'll get past the first round. Even if we lose to France, we'll beat Switzerland, and have more then enough talent to beat Croatia.

Then I agree with what Stokerino says. Should beat Greece, Russia are trickier, but we should still beat them. We CAN beat Portugal and Spain, but we'd have to play our very best. Out of Spain/Portugal, i'd feel our best chances would be against Spain, with Portugal being the host nation and all, and maybe they're the better team of the two.