Euro 2004

pigeon

I really want England to win. But my head says either Germany or Italy will win.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even though he conceeded 79 goals in the league this season

Yeah but look at who he was playing for and the defense he had in front of him. They'd have still conceded a similar amount with Kahn or Buffon in goal.

Even though we all knew he wouldn't be ages ago, why the hell is James Beattie nowhere near the England squad? He's got a great scoring record, and with no offense to Southampton, doesn't play for a big club - he's score even more at one of the top teams. He's great in the air, is powerful, really strong and has one hell of a shot. Plus he and Heskey are the only more traditional centre forwards that could be in the squad. And even though I don't hate Heskey like most seem too, i'd pick Beattie over Heskey anyday. Its stupid that Beattie isn't in the squad. And I might have picked Defoe too.

Not a Carragher fan, and Phil Neville should be nowhere near the squad. I'd have picked Southgate personally. Would be tempted to have taken 7, not 8 defenders and taken an extra striker. Plus Nicky Butt shouldn't play for England. Until Keane's injury problems he wasn't a regular for his team, hasn't had a good game since the Argentina world cup game, hasn't been playing well when he has played for Man Utd, and in his last few England games has been totally, completely, utterly wank.

Anyway, from the squad:

Robinson (Walker shouldnt even be considered for a second, and I trust James a much as I trust Saddam Hussein, so Robinson)

G. Neville

Terry

Campbell

Cole (Like Bridge, but Cole has more experience, and has had a pretty good season)

Beckham

Gerrard

Scholes

Lampard (how about doing the thing Poyet used to do for Chelsea - start on the left, but drift inside. Also attack as a centre-midfielder, but defend as a winger. Might not work at International level though I suppose. Or play Bridge/Cole at left back and the other on the left wing)

Rooney

Owen

Edited by timmayy

France Squad:

Fabien Barthez (Marseille), Gregory Coupet (Lyon), Mickael Landreau (Nantes); Jean-Alain Boumsong (Auxerre), Marcel Desailly (Chelsea), William Gallas (Chelsea), Bixente Lizarazu (Bayern Munich), Mikael Silvestre (Manchester United), Lilian Thuram (Juventus), Willy Sagnol (Bayern Munich); Ludovic Giuly (Monaco), Claude Makelele (Chelsea), Olivier Dacourt (Roma), Patrick Vieira (Arsenal), Robert Pires (Arsenal), Jerome Rothen (Monaco), Sylvain Wiltord (Arsenal), Zinedine Zidane (Real Madrid), Benoit Pedretti (Sochaux); Thierry Henry (Arsenal), David Trezeguet (Juventus), Louis Saha (Manchester United), Steve Marlet (Marseille).

No Cisse, who is suspended, and surprisingly no Mexes, who's just been left out, but still a strong squad, and it's easy to see why they're favourites again.

I'd have picked Southgate personally.

He's injured and won't be back until about a week before the tournament starts.

Plus Nicky Butt shouldn't play for England. Until Keane's injury problems he wasn't a regular for his team, hasn't had a good game since the Argentina world cup game, hasn't been playing well when he has played for Man Utd, and in his last few England games has been totally, completely, utterly wank.

Even though he was our best player during the World Cup.

Robinson (Walker shouldnt even be considered for a second, and I trust James a much as I trust Saddam Hussein, so Robinson)

Even though James hasn't made ny real mistakes while he's been in goal for England, and he actually managed to keep his away from relegation this season (unlike the other two).

Portugal squad:

Ricardo (Sporting Lisbon), Quim (Braga), Moreira (Benfica); Paulo Ferreira (Porto), Miguel (Benfica), Ricardo Carvalho (Porto), Jorge Andrade (Deportivo La Coruna), Fernando Couto (Lazio), Beto (Sporting Lisbon), Rui Jorge (Sporting Lisbon), Nuno Valente (Porto); Costinha (Porto), Petit (Benfica), Tiago (Benfica), Rui Costa (AC Milan), Deco (Porto), Maniche (Porto), Cristiano Ronaldo (Manchester United), Simao Sabrosa (Benfica), Luis Figo (Real Madrid); Pauleta (Paris St Germain), Nuno Gomes (Benfica), Helder Postiga (Tottenham)

Postiga??? Have they no more in form strikers than him?

If England are to do well, then I think Steven Gerrard will play a large part. Our goalkeepers don't exactly fill me with confidence, all 3 haven't exactly had a great season. Shame Chris Kirkland is injured, he's the best up-and-coming goalkeeper England have right now.

He's injured and won't be back until about a week before the tournament starts.

- I didn't know that. Fair enough.

Even though he was our best player during the World Cup.

- Which was two years ago! What good is it being a good player two years ago. Also see the rest of my earlier post as to why I dont rate Nicky Butt.

Oh and he wasn't our best player in the world cup

Even though James hasn't made ny real mistakes while he's been in goal for England, and he actually managed to keep his away from relegation this season (unlike the other two).

- You obviously seem to ignore chunks of England games then. And again, read my earlier post about Robinson. There are whole number of reasons why a club goes down, its not down to just one player. If Gerrard had played for Wolves this season would you have not picked him for the squad because they went down? Like I said, see my earlier post.

Edited by timmayy

Guest BigDirty

France Squad:

Fabien Barthez (Marseille), Gregory Coupet (Lyon), Mickael Landreau (Nantes); Jean-Alain Boumsong (Auxerre), Marcel Desailly (Chelsea), William Gallas (Chelsea), Bixente Lizarazu (Bayern Munich), Mikael Silvestre (Manchester United), Lilian Thuram (Juventus), Willy Sagnol (Bayern Munich); Ludovic Giuly (Monaco), Claude Makelele (Chelsea), Olivier Dacourt (Roma), Patrick Vieira (Arsenal), Robert Pires (Arsenal), Jerome Rothen (Monaco), Sylvain Wiltord (Arsenal), Zinedine Zidane (Real Madrid), Benoit Pedretti (Sochaux); Thierry Henry (Arsenal), David Trezeguet (Juventus), Louis Saha (Manchester United), Steve Marlet (Marseille).

No Cisse, who is suspended, and surprisingly no Mexes, who's just been left out, but still a strong squad, and it's easy to see why they're favourites again.

What no Micoud?!? That french coach knows nothing.

I'd have

GK: James

RB: G.Neville

LB: Cole

CB: Terry

CB: Campbell

RM: Beckham

LM: Bridge

CM: Gerrard

CM: Lampard

CF: Owen

CF: Rooney/Heskey

That team looks somewhat solid. That is everyone playing where they can play, if you follow me. No more centre mids trying to play left wing. I'm undecided with Rooney - we need some aerial threats and Heskey is half decent in the air and works well with Owen.

Scotland all the way~! We've come so far and...oh...oh yeah... <_<

I'll be supporting England, since my mother's family is from Newcastle, and I'll support Ireland since my father's family's from there originally. And why is everyone picking Ian Walker in goal? The highlight of his season was shitting on a fan (albeit very funny). I'd pick David James over him. Paul Robinson too. Come to think of it, it's kind of hard to name a goalkeeper now Seaman's gone.

Rooney's had a pretty quiet season, hopefully he can save his rep by scoring some goals during this, which is why I agree with nearly everyone's pick to have him up front.

And to be honest about Scholes, he's not as good as people make out to be, but he's not a bad player either. He may not score many goals but he usually plays a part in the build-up play with Beckham or Gerrard to make opportunities.

My bet to win is: Brazil. Spain.

Croatia squad:

Stipe Pletikosa (Shakhtar Donetsk), Tomislav Butina (Club Bruges), Joey Didulica (Austria Vienna), Dario Simic (AC Milan), Robert Kovac (Bayern Munich), Igor Tudor (Juventus), Boris Zivkovic (VfB Stuttgart), Josip Simunic (Hertha Berlin), Stjepan Tomas (Fenerbahce), Mato Neretljak (Hajduk Split), Mario Tokic (GAK Graz), Niko Kovac (Hertha Berlin), Milan Rapaic (Ancona), Jerko Leko (Dynamo Kiev), Marko Babic (Bayer Leverkusen), Darijo Srna (Shakhtar Donetsk), Nenad Bjelica (Kaiserslautern), Giovanni Rosso (Maccabi Haifa), Niko Kranjcar (Dinamo Zagreb), Jasmin Agic (Dinamo Zagreb), Dado Prso (Monaco), Tomo Sokota (Benfica), Ivica Mornar (Portsmouth), Ivica Olic (CSKA Moscow), Ivan Klasnic (Werder Bremen), Marijo Maric (Kaerntern, Austria).

Italian coach Giovanni Trapattoni has named his 23-man squad for Euro 2004 and there is no place for Milan's Filippo Inzaghi.

Inzaghi has been struggling with his fitness after recently undergoing ankle surgery and his place in the squad has gone to Juventus striker Marco Di Vaio.

There had been rumours that Brescia star Roberto Baggio may get a shock call for the finals after impressing in a farewell game against Spain earlier this month, but Trapattoni has left him out.

There are no major surprises in Trap's final squad with Baggio as well as Alberto Gilardino missing out.

Parma's highly-rated young striker Gilardino has been overlooked despite his impressive season at the Ennio Tardini as Trapattoni keeps faith with the players who won qualification for Italy.

Lazio goalkeeper Angelo Peruzzi has been given the nod for the third goalkeeping spot ahead of Roma's Ivan Pelizzoli with Gianlugi Buffon and Francesco Toldo the top two keepers.

Milan midfielder Massimo Ambrosini has been surprisingly omitted with an extra defender in the shape of Giuseppe Favalli called into the squad.

Buffon (Juventus), Peruzzi (Lazio), Toldo (Inter), Cannavaro (Inter), Favalli (Lazio), Ferrari (Parma), Materazzi (Inter), Nesta (Milan), Oddo (Lazio), Panucci (Roma), Zambrotta (Juventus), Camoranesi (Juventus), Fiore (Lazio), Gattuso (Milan), Perrotta (Chievo), Pirlo (Milan), C. Zanetti (Inter), Cassano (Roma), Corradi (Lazio), Del Piero (Juventus), Di Vaio (Juventus), Totti (Roma), Vieri (Inter)

Inzaghi won't really be a loss when you have players like Di Vaio, Vieri, and Del Piero to take his spot. Italy's attack seems really strong on paper.

And my best XI for England:

----------------------Robinson----------------

---G.Neville--Terry--Campbell--A.Cole----

------------------Gerrard-------------------

---Beckham---------------------J.Cole----

------------------Lampard------------------

-----------Owen-------------Rooney------

Gerrard + Lampard in the central midfield positions = bad idea. Gerrard is someone who needs to attack as is Lampard, but England also need someone to sit in front of the defence as well. Personally, I'd play Lampard on the left and let him cut into the middle, with Carragher moving up to put in crosses. Gerrard at the head of the diamond, with Nicky Butt holding in front of the defence.

Edited by Agent_Sm1th