2012 Major League Soccer Thread

HailtotheYo

Since clubs can only have three DPs. It would mean one is going or could be going. Donovan seems the more likely one of the three.

Yeah. I don't see that happening but that does add more fuel to the "Landon Donovan is leaving" fire.

I think he is gone, especially given that minus the last two matches he's pretty much been missing all year and they've fallen flat. Too much work left to do just to give themselves a real shot. This is LD's last possible window to make the move while he's still on the right side of things going over.

I don't think it's too far out there honestly. Lampard got a golden egg with the CL last year. Chelsea won't be gunning for the title and are likely to stay in the 5th to 7th battle in the league this year. Perfect ending has been written really. He doesn't have the "EPL legs" to ride a year or two out with Chelsea to reload IMO. He's probably got a good 2-4 "MLS Leg" years in him.

On other transfer news:

Jerry Bengtson (honduras) is heavily linked to NE, and is supposedly having a physical today. He plays for Motagua (one of the best in Honduras) and is on the NT (hit for 3 in the last Gold Cup). GREAT young talent (he's like 25 or so) and would be a fantastic signing.

The idea that Chelsea won't be gunning for the league is preposterous, Hazard-Mata-Torres and possibly even Hulk coming in is a hell of an attack and they are very solid at the back too.

This sums up what I was going to post. Chelsea's is going to be in the thick of things all year.

The idea that Chelsea won't be gunning for the league is preposterous, Hazard-Mata-Torres and possibly even Hulk coming in is a hell of an attack and they are very solid at the back too.

Was it preposterous before last season too ?

Torres has yet to find form with them, and Hazard is a new entity. Who's to say he doesn't Gervinho it up this year ? Hulk isn't signed. Malouda is gone, and both Lampard and Meireles could be. Kalou is gone. The proposed "gunning for the title" is as much speculation as saying they look like a 4-7 side depending on moves/panning out of guys on other squads like Newcastle, Liverpool, Tottenham, Arsenal ...

Any hooters, that's for the EPL thread.

Yeah, I really REALLY can't see Lampard leaving. Chelsea not challenging for the title is absurd and whilst anything can happen, Torres, Mata, Hazard and the 'old guard' are more than capable of winning the premier league. Torres got the golden boot whilst only starting three matches (iirc) and never playing the full 90 I don't think. I can only assume you do the same as you claim us EPL fans do - not watch Chelsea play. Torres' form has been fine all season, he just wasn't scoring. Then he started scoring and got himself a hat trick, quite a few assists at the end of the season and performed for Spain. Can't really ask him for much more.

So, Lampard won't be going, who else is likely to go and replace Donovan? And has he got a target in mind for when he leaves?

Yeah, I really REALLY can't see Lampard leaving. Chelsea not challenging for the title is absurd and whilst anything can happen, Torres, Mata, Hazard and the 'old guard' are more than capable of winning the premier league. Torres got the golden boot whilst only starting three matches (iirc) and never playing the full 90 I don't think. I can only assume you do the same as you claim us EPL fans do - not watch Chelsea play. Torres' form has been fine all season, he just wasn't scoring. Then he started scoring and got himself a hat trick, quite a few assists at the end of the season and performed for Spain. Can't really ask him for much more.

So, Lampard won't be going, who else is likely to go and replace Donovan? And has he got a target in mind for when he leaves?

*sigh*

A striker is supposed to score yes ? He didn't, all season, save for a hat-trick. He had 6 EPL goals (4 assists, so it isn't like he was creating for others instead of scoring). Exactly half of his 'points' came in two matches (hat-trick against the mighty QPR, and a G/A match against Villa). All that Euro/CL/etc performance doesn't really do much for the title challenge in the EPL now does it ? I mean his form was was so fine all season he subbed on almost as much as he started ? I was speaking very specifically about Chelsea/Torres/etc for a reason.

The team finished 5th last season and against the other top 6 clubs had a record of 3-4-7 .... But no, I don't watch ... at all. Saying they'd finish lower than 4th before last season was absurd or no ? It happened though now didn't it ?

As I said before though, that's for the EPL thread.

In terms of where Donavon would go, it'll be Everton. No other word on anyone outside of Lampard right now (the offer for Lampard is 2yrs 20m).

I'm staying out of everything else to concur that if Donovan's leaving, he's probably leaving for Everton assuming they have the money and whatnot. He loves playing there and they seem to enjoy having him.

As for who'd replace him, nooo clue. There was speculation that that was why Seedorf was in town, and then he signed for Botafogo. The only other "(famous name) to MLS" options I've heard are Michael Ballack and Andriy Shevchenko, and Galaxy's MO is to sign aging stars of European leagues.

The only other "(famous name) to MLS" options I've heard are Michael Ballack and Andriy Shevchenko, and Galaxy's MO is to sign aging stars of European leagues.

As it stands, the rumor for Ballack is a year in Austria with RBSalsburg and then a move to NY (jeebus I hope not). Schevchenko has been hinted around DCU and CHI.

Outside of Lampard, not real names actually tossed around with the Galaxy at the moment.

Having checked google, Lamps and mrs Lamps went on holiday over there didn't they? Please tell me that isn't the only bit of evidence towards this move? Google gives me the daily mail and lots of other, non-reputable websites. I thought there was more concrete evidence to this than the daily mail's word for things.

Having checked google, Lamps and mrs Lamps went on holiday over there didn't they? Please tell me that isn't the only bit of evidence towards this move? Google gives me the daily mail and lots of other, non-reputable websites. I thought there was more concrete evidence to this than the daily mail's word for things.

"Sources" true, but in the write up they mention that ESPNLA has directly talked to someone.

"Sources with knowledge of the talks confirmed to ESPN Los Angeles that AEG is holding discussions with Lampard's representatives."

I presume these are the same sources with knowledge that have been confirming Lampard's move to Real Madrid/Manchester United/Inter Milan/PSG/etc. every other week for the past four years.

Two PK's for SKC last night as they beat MTL 3-1.

DAL and TOR finish 1-1, but the story was:

ferreira.jpg

FERRIERA IS BACK ! He looked sharp too. Within a few minutes of stepping on the field he threaded a fantastic pass to Shea at the top of the box.

VAN shuts out COL 1-0.

PHI 2-1 over LA. McInerney is starting to play really well.

NESTA officially in at MTL: link

Great article on the league here: CONCACAF/regional starlets see league as proper stepping stone

=== cheeky tabloid Lampard update: he was in a suite at the HDC last night with Beckham watching LA lose ===

Guest mr. potato head

Really? Because from the Canadian perspective the story is Koevermans is still on a hot streak and so are TFC now that they managed to draw another bottom-dwelling team. :lol:

• Admin
David Beckham has been given a one-game ban and fined an undisclosed amount for his "confrontational and provocative behaviour" during LA Galaxy's 4-3 defeat by San Jose.

The former England captain was involved in a scuffle on the pitch during the Major League Soccer match on Saturday.

Angry at perceived time-wasting, he kicked the ball at Sam Cronin as the player lay on the ground.

After being booked, Beckham then argued with opponents after the final whistle.

An MLS statement said: "The committee considered his conduct unacceptable and detrimental to the league's public image.

"Beckham will serve his suspension on Sunday when the Galaxy take on the Chicago Fire."

It completes a few days to forget for the 37-year-old, who was left out of Great Britain's Olympic squad for London 2012.

"Form plays a big part and I don't think there is a manager around who picks on sentiment," said Team GB manager Stuart Pearce when explaining the midfielder's omission.

"I have to be comfortable when I have made decisions based solely on football grounds alone, nothing else."