Official Tottenham Hotspur Thread

Guest Ringo Masterson

Jol in Robben Hint

Tottenham boss Martin Jol has hinted that he could make a move for Chelsea ace Arjen Robben.

Robben's future at Chelsea has been the subject of speculation in recent weeks after a reported row with Jose Mourinho.

Mourinho is thought to be unhappy with Robben's constant fitness problems and is reportedly willing to part ways with the former PSV Eindhoven star.

Jol is a big admirer of his Dutch compatriot and admitted he would be interested in signing the winger if he was available.

"I have said that if there are more problems surrounding Robben I'll make a mega bid for him," Jol told Dutch website Football Zone.

"Spurs have a lot of quality. Financially we're very healthy, too.

"We've money to spend and that's why we can bring in expensive players."

Meanwhile, Ledley King is reported to have rejected the offer of a new deal at Tottenham.

Reports on Sunday have claimed that the Spurs skipper has turned down the club's offer of a new five-year contract.

Spurs are keen to tie down the England international to a new long-term deal to ward off interest from potential suitors.

King still has two-and-a-half years left on his current deal and Spurs remain confident of keeping the central defender at White Hart Lane.

More news regarding King:

Tottenham face an injury dilemma over captain Ledley King after he delayed a knee operation to help England beat Argentina in Geneva.

He will be sidelined for around six weeks after surgery, and boss Martin Jol is reportedly pondering whether to now wait until the end of the season.

King is likely to want the operation quickly, with his sights set on the World Cup in Germany next summer.

He has been handed a key role for England as a holding midfield player.

King had the task of man-marking Argentina playmaker Juan Riquelme and revealed the game proved a steep learning curve.

"It was difficult for me," he said. "They have got players who like to drop into the hole and at times I found it hard.

"Riquelme is a top-class player and there were times he drifted out wide, dragged me out - and left spaces for other players to move into.

"It is a learning process. I don't play there often so every game is a learning curve and it is a good lesson being up against some of the best."

Spurs, meanwhile, have insisted they have yet to offer a new contract to King after reports that he had rejected a fresh deal.

The 25-year-old's current contract runs until 2008 and Spurs sporting director Damien Comolli said: "We initiated talks with Ledley and his advisors.

"Our discussions are in the early stages and will continue in private.

"It is totally inaccurate to say that he has rejected any offer, we haven't made one."

• Admin

Our home match against Charlton Athletic in the Premiership has been selected for live television coverage and switched to Sunday February 5, kick-off 1.30pm.

The match will now be televised live on Sky Sports.

This change is in addition to recent changes to the dates for our games at Fulham (now Tuesday January 31, 8pm) and Sunderland (now Sunday February 12, 1.30pm) - all three will be televised by Sky.

Sunday matches rock.

Heh they deserved a point according to Martin because "they tried" well lads, why not roll over more often. All the opposition need to do is try and we'll give them a point. Thank gawd I don';t have to put up with seeing the ex for a few days, she'll never let me hear the end of it even if it was only a draw..

We looked good yesterday but I am concerned about how we let teams come back, Arsenal, West Ham and even yesterday we let Wigan have more of a chance. Keano's refusal to go down when being raped probably made it closer though then it should''ve been and the less said about the King incident the better.

Going to Sunderland 1-1 draw I fear *grumbles*

• Admin

Tottenham Hotspur boss Martin Jol has rubbished reports of a rift between himself and striker Jermain Defoe.

The 23-year-old England international has been left on the bench for the last couple of games, but Jol insists that that is not because of Defoe's off-field commitments, including an appearance on MTV.

The Dutchman said: "They asked our permission and Jermain did a piece with MTV. They came to the ground and filmed him.

"He can do whatever he likes in his spare time. I think it is okay. You have to enjoy yourself. For us it is not a problem.

"If everything is going well and he does that, there's no problem. It's always the case when he's not playing that it becomes an issue.

"It doesn't bother me because Jermain is training hard and looking after himself because he wants to get back into the team.

"He's a good pro and will get his chance again. I think he will bounce back, he is one of the best finishers in the game."

Tottenham host Sunderland at White Hart Lane looking to pile more misery on the struggling Wearsiders.

Last Saturday's hard fought 2-1 win at Wigan returned Spurs to the top five and once again Champions League football looks a distinct possibility for Martin Jol's side.

The main decision facing the manager is whether to recall England striker Jermain Defoe or stick with his current front pairing of Mido and Robbie Keane.

The Irishman is the obvious choice should Jol decide to shuffle his pack, but netting the first goal against the Latics could well have secured his starting berth for the third successive game.

With virtually a full strength squad to choose from there is plenty of competition for places in the starting line-up which is definitely the secret behind Spurs' renaissance under Jol this season.

And with no Carling Cup football in midweek to distract their attention, the home side will have been focussed on the visit of Sunderland for the last seven days.

The doom merchants are already predicting a bleak future for Sunderland ahead of their trip south.

Last Saturday's 1-0 defeat by fellow strugglers Birmingham left the Black Cats four points adrift at the foot of the table and without a Premiership win at home all season.

Manager Mick McCarthy was scathing about his side in the aftermath of the disappointment and it remains to be seen whether he can pick them up ahead of the visit to Spurs.

With a leaking defence and a goal-shy attack it is hard to see how Sunderland are going to turn around their ailing fortunes.

And the fact that eight players are currently on the treatment table - including influential duo Stephen Elliott and Julio Arca - hardly helps a forlorn looking McCarthy plot a return to winning ways.

We better win this... and this is the first home game I'm missing since the begining of the season. On Routledge's return... Fucksocks.