Official Tottenham Hotspur Thread

• Admin

Update, from the same site. Never known it to be so unreliable:

Manchester United have had a £10million bid for England midfielder Michael Carrick rejected by Tottenham Hotspur.

Sir Alex Ferguson had targeted the 24-year-old as the replacement for Roy Keane, but United's bid is well short of Tottenham's valuation of the player.

The Red Devils have been told they would have to almost double their offer for it to be accepted, but it is believed Spurs officials are willing to discuss a part-exchange deal involving Ruud van Nistelrooy.

It is not yet known whether Ferguson will improve his offer for Carrick or whether he will instead opt to renew his interest in Lyon's £18million-rated midfield general Mahamadou Diarra.

Tottenham boss Martin Jol has insisted that midfielder Michael Carrick will be staying at the club, despite renewed interest from Manchester United.

United had a £10m bid turned down on Friday and some newspapers reported the offer had now been upped to £14m.

Jol told BBC Five Live Sport: "Manchester United put a bid in, we turned it down and that's it.

"Michael knows I gave him the chance ahead of Pedro Mendes, another very good player, so he owes this club."

Carrick cost Spurs £2.75m when he joined them from West Ham in August 2004 and a series of impressive performances cemented his place in England's World Cup squad.

Jol added: "I don't want to lose a player like Michael, who was probably our best midfielder last season.

"We are building something here. I told the chairman I want to keep him and the board don't want to sell him. He's got a contract for two years and that's it.

"Spurs is a good club and Michael knows that. We will do a good job in the next couple of seasons and he will be happy at Spurs."

Screw off, £14m. £20m and I wouldn't be surprised if we took it, but if it was me I'd accept no less than £25m.

We shouldn't let Defoe go anywhere for the mean time either. Like rockbox said we don't know how Berbatov is going to settle in, if he does horrible and we've sold Defoe, we'll have to really on Keane and one of the youngsters.

• Admin

£25 million for Carrick?

Unless Chelsea wanted him, I don't see that happening.

Tottenham Hotspur striker Jermain Defoe admits that he is baffled that he is not part of England's 23-man squad at the World Cup finals.

The 23-year-old was called up as standby for Wayne Rooney, but allowed to return home after the Manchester United ace was cleared for action.

However, Defoe is far from happy with the situation, having lost out to Arsenal teenager Theo Walcott for a finals spot.

He told The News of the World: "I don't know why I'm not out there.

"I've been involved in every squad for the last two years and feel I've played a part in helping us to qualify.

"I have never felt fitter and sharper than I was in training and believe I could have scored goals in the tournament. It's a strange decision and everybody I speak to thinks so as well.

"I decided to leave straight away, come home, have a break and prepare myself for the new season.

"Once I had made up my mind it did not take me long to get myself on the first available plane."

I still think it is ridiculous that Walcott goes while Ashton, Bent, and Defoe don't.