EWB's All-Time Favorite TV Show

Josh

There's going to be a television title tournament!

That is to say, EWB is holding a tournament to decide its favorite television series of all time. But how do we decide what shows qualify for the tournament? We make nominations, and that's why this thread is here.

The Rules

- List 10 television series that you wish to nominate for the tournament. As in EWB list threads of the past, shows you rank number 1 will receive 10 points, shows you rank number 10 will receive 1 point, and the shows in between will be scored accordingly. (Tip: Given that the vote tallies do not necessarily determine the overall winner, you might wish to nominate strategically so more of your favorites can be included.)

- I will determine how many shows make it into the final tournament, depending on how many shows are nominated and receive sizable amounts of points. Shows with the most overall points will receive more favorable placement in the tournament and kept as far apart from each other as possible. The final number of shows that make the cut for the tournament will be a multiple of 16, as to provide cleaner progression.

- You may only nominate strictly fictionalized television (i.e. basically comedies and dramas.) There are limits to what can be nominated, so we can keep this at least somewhat focused and balanced. Reality, wrestling, sports, and news programs are examples of nominations that will not be allowed. Likewise television movies and mini-series are not allowed.

- You may nominate a series still on the air or a series that has been done for years. These are all-time favorites.

- Feel free to edit your choices along the way without making a new post or telling me. I will tally the results only after the nomination deadline has been reached.

- Once the tournament begins, we will all vote on the individual match-ups, round by round.

Any questions feel free to ask.

The deadline for nominations is currently set for Friday, March 23rd at 11:59:59 PM U.S. Central Time. If nominations drag before that, we'll end them sooner.

I will have my own nominations up soon.

1. The Tick

2. The A-Team

3. Louie

4. Batman

5. King of the Hill

6. Mystery Science Theatre 3000

7. The Simpsons

8. The Sopranos

9.. Fawlty Towers

10. House

That order is definitely determined by strategy, not necessarily my all-time favorites in their precise order.

Expect this list to be edited as more nominations are made.

Guest mr. potato head

So basically I should ignore popular shows and fill my list with less popular shows that I want to see make the tournament, and they will as long as a few people with similar taste think the same way? :shifty:

Jesus, this is going to be tough. This list isn't entirely objective because there are shows I know other people will be voting for (see: The Simpsons) so I'm not going to bother, but the top two shows are legitimately my two favorite shows of all-time and #3 is likely my third-favorite.

1. The Wire

2. The Sopranos

3. Monty Python's Flying Circus

4. Arrested Development

5. Mad Men

6. Parks & Recreation

7. Angel

8. The Office (US)

9. Daria

10. MST3K

So basically I should ignore popular shows and fill my list with less popular shows that I want to see make the tournament, and they will as long as a few people with similar taste think the same way? :shifty:

Vote the way you want to vote. Nobody's stopping you.

10. Survivor

The rules state no reality shows.

I suppose it's early enough in the process that you could try and convince me otherwise, but I feel like allowing them opens a whole floodgate I'd rather not deal with.

Guest mr. potato head

1) The West Wing

2) The Drew Carey Show

3) Whose Line is it Anyway?

4) Mad Men

5) The Office (US)

6) Corner Gas

7) Parks and Recreation

8) Scrubs

9) Game of Thrones

10) Beast Wars

Edited by mr. potato head

10. Survivor

The rules state no reality shows.

I suppose it's early enough in the process that you could try and convince me otherwise, but I feel like allowing them opens a whole floodgate I'd rather not deal with.

Nah, it's no big deal, I'll replace Survivor. I think it deserves special credit for its place in history because it's really the competitive reality show and it's been a pretty successfully enduring TV staple for the last twelve years, but there are plenty of other shows I can put in 10th place.

1. Roswell

2. Lost

3. Smallville

4. The Walking Dead

5. 3rd Rock From The Sun

6. Community

7. One Tree Hill

8. The O.C

9. Chuck

10. Dexter

--- I'll be editing my list at some stage as well... Just wanted to get it on here now whilst I had time and with what shows I could remember...

Edited by phatman