EWB's favourite frontman

probablyoliver

Jimi Hendrix is awesome. I put him in my singer ballot because there's just something really captivating about his voice and the way he carries himself. He's just effortlessly cool.

Without a doubt two of the greatest frontmen in the friggin' history of music are John Linnell and John Flansburgh from They Might Be Giants.

I've only (relatively) recently gotten into them, but their prescience and the cult like fan base that they have cultivated over the years just speaks for itself.

Craig Finn of The Hold Steady stands out for me as well. When I saw them live he just commanded the attention of absolutely everyone in the room.

John Darnielle of The Mountain Goats does the same thing for me

Sticking to people I've seen live, Iggy Pop is far and away the greatest frontman. He just has a genuine aura about him that I've never seen on anyone else, and is a hell of a lot of fun to watch.

The man from Monotonix is good, too.

One of my biggest regrets is not seeing the Stooges when I had the chance. I haven't seen Iggy but I can't imagine rating anybody higher than him as far as frontmen go.

The best I've seen live is Jim Heath of the Reverend Horton Heat. He's not wild and crazy on stage but has a great rapport with the audience and is very engaging in between songs. He has a real charm and charisma on stage. It's also subtle things he does well, such as a smile or wink to an audience member trying to snap a photograph. You can tell he's posing for the shot, but he does it in a very subtle way that doesn't distract from the show.