NHL 13

Ruki

• 3 months later...

I have gotten back into this game, and I am enjoying it more. My Leafs have been fun to play as. Was in 8th for most of the season, but a late winning streak pushed me into 5th. I simmed about 60% of the season, by the way.

Somehow my Leafs swept Washington and Buffalo, then lost in seven to Carolina in the Eastern final.

The Lightning offered a first and second for Bozak, and the Flames (who won the Cup!) offered me a first and second for Joe Colborne during the season. I took both deals. I had the 15th, 28th and 30th picks. At 15, I got Max Domi! Oh, and someone gave me a second round pick for Komisarek!

Then, at the draft, Columbus offered me their 2014 first for Nik Kulemin. I couldn't resist, and Matt Frattin had developed into a good replacement so I took that trade too.

I traded Liles to Chicago for Bolland, then picked up Doug Murray from San Jose as a UFA.

Going into 2013/14, my team looks strong. Cody Franson and Jake Gardiner are both now awesome two way defenders. Here is my line up.

JVR-Bolland-Kessel

Lupul-Kadri-MacArthur

Condra-Grabbo-Frattin

Steckel-McClement-Scott

Gardiner-Phaneuf

Franson-Gunnarson

Kostka-Murray

Reimer

H. Karlsson

Edited by Toe

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Every time my interest picks up and I start to play, I'm almost instantly reminded of why I stopped in the first place. EASHL matchmaking is just flat out broken. It's impossible to level my player up when our team of mid-50 OVRs keeps going up against teams with 70-85 rated players. The skating mechanic has basically broken the game. The AI goalies are still terrible and horribly uneven (I cannot believe the poor play we have to suffer whilst getting utterly stonewalled at the other end), it's just not fun.

It seems to me like it's another case of an EA studio getting recognition and becoming complacent.

Every time my interest picks up and I start to play, I'm almost instantly reminded of why I stopped in the first place. EASHL matchmaking is just flat out broken. It's impossible to level my player up when our team of mid-50 OVRs keeps going up against teams with 70-85 rated players. The skating mechanic has basically broken the game. The AI goalies are still terrible and horribly uneven (I cannot believe the poor play we have to suffer whilst getting utterly stonewalled at the other end), it's just not fun.

It seems to me like it's another case of an EA studio getting recognition and becoming complacent.

While I agree with your assessment of goalies, etc., I don't believe the matchmaking is -completely- broken. The problem is how the game determines who to put you up against. It seems to favor ping first, then team size, then whether you're amateur, pro, or elite. Without doing it this way, you'd end up in a lot of laggy games I think. The other team also has to be looking for a game at exactly the same time. It makes matching up a bit of a chore. That said, you should have the option to set your match up options to skill-level and wait for someone of the same skill level to get on if you choose.

The other thing is, the tiers (amateur,pro,elite) are not an actual measure of player skill, so much as a measure of how actively you play. My team, for example, almost never plays anymore, so when we do, we're in amateur and usually get matched up with teams we manhandle until we get a couple wins under our belt. This is magnified at the beginning of the month when all the elite teams are starting over at the bottom, and you get matched up with teams that have "top 10" and "top 100" trophies.

The reason, I think that you're struggling with attributes, is that EA doesn't intend you to play with the base stats. They intend for you to spend money on the stat packs (sniper stat pack for example), until you get to Veteran or Legend and then buy the boost packs. Essentially it's a way to make you pay microtransactions without actually coming out and saying so. Sure, you can refuse to spend the money on the packs, but when everyone else does it, it just means you're playing at a huge handicap.

• 3 weeks later...