Showtime's "Homeland"

Blitz

• 1 month later...

I have been watching "The Larry Sanders Show" on Amazon Prime and in a Season 4 episode Mandy Patinkin shows up with hair, clean shaven with no glasses and arguing with Noah Wyle about which medical show is better, "ER" or "Chicago Hope."

It was a mind- jarring experience. Hearing that voice come out of anybody who doesn't exactly look like Saul Berenson was weird.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Episode one of season three aired in the UK last night. It was... mixed. It was good stuff, but it was a lot of the same. Dana with a random boy she likes? Check. Carrie going off the rails? Check. Brody may or may not be a terrorist? Check. I loved the congress scenes, because they gave a real sense of what exactly these people are facing, and Saul as always was a highlight (sticking him with F. Murray Abraham is great, I can't wait to see more of them together). As I say, it was all done well, but I can't help but think that after three seasons they should be breaking new ground. Oh, and Dana's lack of coverage between suicide and recovery was insultingly bad, but I'm hoping that they're going to delve further into that since she heard her gran and mum talking.

I was expected a Brody scene just before the end, but you're right, the fallout from the bombing is the key thing and I enjoyed all those committee scenes far more than the anti torture ones 24 did years earlier. Bauer gets results, dammit!

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a visual in my head of someone in a bath, fully clothed but wrists slit and hanging out of the bathtub. Is that from something or are the voices winning? >_>

I don't recall that happening in this show. As far as the storyline goes she tried to kill herself between Seasons 2 & 3. Either that or you've been watching that music video where Britney Spears tries to slit her wrists again (don't ask)

• 2 months later...

Season 3 spoilers:

So, the Brody death was rather anti-climatic. I knew that he was going to have to die, there would be no way to get him out of Iran while he just killed a top government official in the guy's office. But him just slowly dying by being hanged was just not something I expected.

I really will love to see where all this goes with Saul in the private sector and Carrie in the Middle East. And I need more Peter Quinn and more Virgil and Max.

Edited by TheSqauredCircleMessiah

Season 3 finale spoiler.

Seriously. MAJOR spoiler if you haven't seen it.

I loved the death, it wasn't poetic, there was no redemption, there was just finality. Every second I was waiting there for some big swooping AMERICA FUCK YEAH save that never came. Damien Lewis will be missed, but he should have gone at the end of season one, and it's time for the show to move past the Carrie/Brody dynamic and back into the awesome spy versus spy territory of season one. I only got to Brody's death before I had to leave for work, but Season four looks to be set up to be a real killer, and hopefully we've now seen the end of the Brody family it will get a chance to just kick serious ass (I'm hoping Carrie loses the baby for one reason or another, because God knows I don't want to watch a show about a single mother balancing her work and family). Overall, the second half of the season was much better than the first half, and there's a lot of brilliant stuff in play for season four, but aside from the finale and the episode where they captured the Iranian #2 it never felt close to season one.

I liked the death scene, but everything after that (for the most part - I liked the scene with Carrie and her family) just kind of felt like filler. I'm hoping next season they don't just all forget about Brody, because that would undo any character development Carrie's had. I know we'll probably be seeing a lot more of Saul, now working in the private sector, and Quinn, just being a bad ass next season. Quinn said something about "not fucking it up, like I did" in regards to Carrie's pregnancy. I'd love to see his character evolve and learn more about him.

And, Quinn and Carrie are definitely gonna bang next season, right?

I adore Quinn (never thought I'd say that, being a fan of Dexter), he's absolutely someone I want to see more of, ditto Dar Adal, Senator Lochart and Roya, and a lot less Brody family and Saul's wife. I thought this season we were going to get some background on Quinn, especially after the kid shooting scene, but his role seemed to still be quite minor. Generally what I want to see is more CIA and less stupid home life that I couldn't give two shits about. This season was good at bringing in new characters though, so here's to hoping they spend time building them up.

I adore Quinn (never thought I'd say that, being a fan of Dexter), he's absolutely someone I want to see more of, ditto Dar Adal, Senator Lochart and Roya, and a lot less Brody family and Saul's wife. I thought this season we were going to get some background on Quinn, especially after the kid shooting scene, but his role seemed to still be quite minor. Generally what I want to see is more CIA and less stupid home life that I couldn't give two shits about. This season was good at bringing in new characters though, so here's to hoping they spend time building them up.

I honestly think we are finally done with the Brody family, outside probably at some point (most likely whenever the series finale is), Carrie will tell Dana that her dad was actually a hero in the end.

• 11 months later...

Let's talk Season 4!

So, this season of Homeland beyond Carrie having an Andrea Yates-moment has been awesome.

I love how Mark Moses has become the go-to-guy for a shady old white men.

Also, seeing Danny Noonan all grown up as Carrie's Deputy Station Chief has been jarring.

But it's been a pretty great season.