EWB-Play Along: Pokémon!

Monkey D. Lars

Decided to play the Original Red and started with the hardest Pokemon to start with, Charmander, as Bulbasaur can rip through the first two Gyms and Squirtle can destroy the first one. Beat Brock fairly easy with Charmeleon and about to go through Mt Moon with this team.

Magikarp lvl12

Why not? It evolves into the best non-starter Water type pokemon (IMO). The bad thing is that it starts at lvl5 and gets its first move at lvl15, Tackle then evolves 5 levels later. It took me a while to get it up 7 levels (without an Emulator that speeds up I would have given up). Gyrados will be my Water pokemon :D

Charmeleon lvl20

My starter. I chose him not JUST because it evolves into the ultra cool Charizard, but it was also the toughest starter at the very start. Although the option of having a Charizard in my team was a BIG factor in why I got it, plus im not really a fan of Venasaur and Gyrados is probably just as good as Blastoise in my eyes, so easy choice ftw!

Pikachu lvl14

I needed a Pokemon who would be able to fight Misty, and seen as I probably wont have evolved Magikarp by then, Pikachu was the easiest option. I shouldn't have any problems in facing Misty now.

Now that I have three Pokemon, only 3 left to choose in my mighty team. Option one will definitely be a Ground/Rock Pokemon, as I love the move Earthquake and it helps me so much. Option two will be a Grass pokemon, Dont know which one yet as I haven't thought that far ahead yet. The last option will either be the Eevee Evolution that I use or the Lapras you get for free. More than likely I will be using the Eevee though, as I already have a water pokemon so getting another is pointless. Another option is getting a Ghost/Psychic pokemon, but Im not too fond of them, plus you cant get Alakazam without trading so there goes the best Psychic pokemon in the game....

Anyway, its early hours in my Pokemon game anyway, and I hope that I can get it done sometime today or tommorrow and move onto another Pokemon game. Any ideas of a GOOD Grass pokemon?

A couple of hours later. I beat Misty and Gary and left Cerulean city. Currently at the SS Anne with this team:

Magikarp lvl17

Pikachu lvl24

Charmeleon lvl24

Magikarp still hasn't evolved, but has learned takle and is only a few levels away. I had a few tries at facing Misty but her Starmie just destroyed us. Decided to gain some levels by beating Gary and going to get the SS Anne ticket first and that helped loads as Pikachu managed to beat both Stars. I also left two trainers on the route to the Ticket unbattled, for a later cause. Currently in the ss anne, fighting every trainer I can for valuable levels and money and also grabbing the goodies that I come across, Rare Candy is the main item. The second Gary encounter will be soon, and since I have Pikachu to counter his Squirtle it shouldn't be too tough. Lt Surge will be a biut trickier though as I have no pokemon that are strong against Electric. I have decided to save the last place in my group for Mewto and another place in my Group for another rare pokemon. The 4th spot in the Group will most likely be a grass pokemon, just don't know what yet.

I'll probably update after I beat Lt Surge and move to the next place, Hopefully with a Gyrados in tow!

Playing fire red I've beat Brock and Misty just on the SS Anne now. This is my team so far:

Mankey lvl 21

Ekans lvl 21

Nidorino lvl 21

Pickachu lvl 21

Kadabra lvl 22

Wartortle lvl 24

As you can tell I like keeping everyone pretty even!

I'll update this after gaining my thrid badge.

I may as well keep my White 2 journey updated here, and I've just finished the second gym. It's fair to say that I do far more work than in necessary whenever I play when it comes to catching and training Pokémon, trying to keep every Pokémon I own at the same level, not just the six in my team. With Audino grinding it doesn't take that long and it ensures I have a strong team for any situation

Right now the following six are my team:

Azumarill - L21

Pignite - L20

Swadloon - L20

Pidove - L20

Flaaffy - L20

Lucario - L20

and in my PC:

Psyduck - L20 (Reserve Water Type)

Patrat - L20

Liepard - L20 (An absolute bitch to train)

Herdier - L20

Growlithe - L20 (Reserve Fire Type)

Magnemite - L20

Koffing - L20

Venipede - L20

Dunsparce - L20 (Better than you'd think)

Audino - L20 (As bad as you'd think)

Elekid - L20 (Reserve Electric Type)

The team I used to take on Poison Gym Leader Roxie was:

Lucario

Magnemite

Psyduck (with Confusion)

Pignite

Flaaffy

Pidove

It was an easy victory. Now to the PokéStar Movie Studios!

So last night I just out of the blue managed to make it to Fuschia City without realising how long I'd been playing. Team is coming along well, with 4 of my final team set most likely:

Charizard lv.40

<3 Nuff said.

Primeape lv.38

Holy shit, Primeape has a seriously decent movepool, like, it currently has one of each of the big 4 physical attacks (Brick Break, Rock Tomb, Dig and Aerial Ace) which covers most pokemon right now.

Vileplume lv.38

If anyone is going to be cut from the team, it'll be her. She just doesn't have the moves to be useful, at least in Gen III. I think the make/break will be how much use I can get out of a 70BP Petal Dance... Still, as a poison-maker, I could do worse.

Jolteon lv.38

I wasted a ton of cash in the Game Corner on Thunderbolt, and he has made it bloody worth it, as I knew he would, cause Jolteon is the best pokemon ever, and you cannot dispute that, ever. I will give you the devil stare if you do.

But anyway, hoping for Lapras and Scyther to finish off my team, and then I should be set for the E4.

Right, so I finally got GameBoid working in my phone. Now I can finally get under way. I named myself the very exotic name of SRN and my rival I named MPH (or as I will refer to him in updates "fucking plum"). What to choose as my first Pokemon? I am leaning towards Squirtle simply because everyone else seems to have chosen Charmander. My goal is to catch all Pokémon and call them silly names. How should I go about this, EWB?

• Like 1

Ok another update a while after the other one!

Beaten Gary and done everything in SS Anne - I also used the Rare Candy on Charmeleon but then thought about leaving it for later and it would have helped too. Beaten Lt Surge pretty easily as well.

Team:

Gyrados lvl25

This beast finally evolved and I used it ever since to grow in levels. It grew pretty fast too, Bite taking out alot of pokemon against me, even Surges Raichu!

Charmeleon lvl26

Still going strong and can beat alot of water pokemon if needed too, Although Pikachu is usefull for them.

Pikachu lvl26

Pikachu got alot of action in the ss anne because there was alot of trainers with Water Pokemon that it would be stupid not to take advantage of it and use Pika

NEW MEMBER: Diglett

Will probably be a member who stays in my team of 6. Earthquake + Dig = Win!

Right, so I finally got GameBoid working in my phone. Now I can finally get under way. I named myself the very exotic name of SRN and my rival I named MPH (or as I will refer to him in updates "fucking plum"). What to choose as my first Pokemon? I am leaning towards Squirtle simply because everyone else seems to have chosen Charmander. My goal is to catch all Pokémon and call them silly names. How should I go about this, EWB?

SQUIRTLE! And name it TKz! I love that Pokemon!

Well, that is a bit late. I decided first for silly names, then decided to for MMA names. But only after I named my Squirtle Spunky. :shifty: I seem to remember some guy that could rename your Pokémon so when I eventually get there, I'll have to make something more uniform. Perhaps EWB names, who knows. I like my MMA naming trend so I might just go with that. Squirtle will be TKz in spirit. So far I am just about to enter Viridian Forest with my three hellacious hell-beasts who beat up MPH's puny weakling creatures quite easily. I might get a Weedle or that other bug one, I don't know. Either way I so want a Pikachu. And a Nidoran. But after some Bulbapedia researching, it seems that I won't be getting that before the Moon Cave or whatever it is called.

But yeah, my current team!

Spunky.pngSpunky

- (Squirtle), Level 11

Ronda.pngRonda

- (Mankey), Level 10

Zoila.pngZoila

- (Spearow), Level 10

1350919563667.png

Just beat Erika and got a few updates on my team and stuffs.

Charizard lvl36

Just evolved after bossing the fight with Erika, He's a definite for the E4 fight. Moves: Slash, Ember, Cut & Leer

Pikachu lvl31

A few levels behind 'Zard due to the fact that there aint been much water pokemon about lately. More than likely to be in the E4 battle seen as I cant see me getting a better Electric type and I dont use 'Larry Zbyszkoaries' Moves: Thundershock, Thunderwave, Swift & Quick Attack

Gyrados lvl29

Theres been a few Rock types in trainer battles but very rarely, thats why he isnt in the 30's. I like to have my pokemon within 5 levels of each other, apart from the 'Main' who can be a bit more, so still gonna be training it a while. Usefull for both Fire and Rock types so gonna be a stayer in the E4 fight Moves: Bite, Tackle, Splash & Dragon Rage

Diglett lvl25

Other than Earthquake, Im not sure if it will be That usefull later on. Dig does decently but the lower level means it gets taken out quicker. Moves: Dig, Scratch, Growl & Body Slam

Eevee lvl25

Not sure if I even want Eevee as I have all three eeveelution types already. Might keep it until I get a Pokemon worthy to fight the E4. Moves: Tackle & Sand-Attack

Dratini lvl20

Ok so to be entirely honest, ive Never had a Dratini before. Yeah, I know right! Decided its about time I see what everyone wanks off to and bought it at the game centre thingy. Bsides it was either that or a Porygon and im not too sure if thats good either. I heard its a brilliant Pokemon to get so if it lives upto expectations (Which are VERY high) then it will stay in my E4 team. Moves: Wrap, Leer, Thunder Wave & Agility

So some Questions then!

1. What moves should I Definitely teach my Pokemon?

2. Keep Diglett? And maybe why?

3. Keep Eevee? If yes then which Eeveelution?

4. Keep Dragonair?

5. Which Grass/Psychic/Ghost/Ground Pokemon are the best to get? (No Larry Zbyszkoaries)

Cool.

Alright! Another update and fuck if I care I made a double post.

Spunky.pngSpunky

- (Squirtle), Level 13 | Tackle, Tail Whip, Water Gun, Withdraw

Ronda.pngRonda

- (Mankey), Level 11 | Scratch, Leer, Low Kick, Karate Chop

Zoila.pngZoila

- (Spearow), Level 13 | Peck, Growl, Leer, Fury Attack

Dodson.pngDodson

- (Pikachu), Level 11 | Thundershock, Quick Attack, Tail Whip, Thunder Wave

1350933435241.png

So I made it past Viridian Forest with everything I wanted; got my Spearow all leveled up, fucking up shit for the bugcatchers and, by some freak luck, found a Pikachu and caught it without doing anything to it. Then came Pewter City where Squirtle and Mankey completely maimed and made fun of Brock and his little man-slave. However, Nerf, I couldn't seem to find any Nido's in the grass in front of the city so I guess I'll have to look outside of that cave that I'll be exploring soon. Might even grab a Clefairy and name it after Roy Nelson, who knows. So far, the plan is to focus on Pikachu for a while to get it well and ready to roast some tail when I hit Cerulean City and get THE BIKE and THE BADGE.