2013 College Football Thread

HailtotheYo

I can't help but feel that Bud Foster isn't going to go anywhere. I agree with you including him in that list as he'd be more than capable, but I feel like if he was going to go out and run his own program, it would've been before now.

See: Mickey Andrews

Exactly. Nothing wrong with being a damn good coordinator all your life.

And the Sarkisian idea is such an odd one. I'm struggling to think of the last coach that left a head coaching job to take another one in the same conference. I'm sure it's had to have happened, but I'm blanking on who it was or when it happened.

He's recruiting really well there over the last couple years and it's starting to show on the field. Not sure if he'd be willing to give up on the progress they've made to go to an inter-conference university or not. I'm thinking he doesn't, though. That's even if he gets offered the job.

Don't get me wrong, I think any of those guys would be excellent choices (and, thus, really hope none of them get the job). My statement has nothing to do with them, and everything to do with the way USC is. Pat Haden (Hayden?) is a smart guy, he might go that direction, but the fans will kill him for it. Trojan fan will blow up if it's a college coordinator.

Texas running back Jonathan Gray fumbled on back to back carries at the goal line. The first one was basically returned for a touchdown but he was ruled down. Next play he fumbles at the inch line, pile for the ball, they say Texas ball. Then they're finally able to score.

Not to mention a questionable pass interference was called a few plays earlier.

That shit was a joke ! Iowa State was absolutely screwed.

DMN ... it was 1987 :shifty: but it has happened before that they've gone the college route (although it was a HC, not a coordinator) and it was in conference too (Larry Smith came from Arizona). I'm with you that the "think tank" is about snatching a pro guy .... but I honestly don't think it's the best option right now. I think Trojan fan needs a dose of the reality that ND fan has had to swallow the last decade. The logo is the same, the colors are the same, the jersey is slightly different, and the name is the same ... but the aura is most definitely not. Yeah, you're USC .... but you aren't USC.

And yeah, Meacon ... I had Google up but remembered before I started a search. After though, I tried searching and ... yeah, it ain't as easy to find as you'd think.

At the risk of destroying my college love affair with Meacon, I don't think it's fair to compare USC and ND in that way. No, USC isn't a dominating team right now, but USC would find it much easier to climb back to the top of the PAC-12 and national prominence, and stay there, than Notre Dame. Part of that is being in a conference, part of it is location (it's easier to recruit in, and to have players come to, Los Angeles, than to South Bend), but a 'return to power' is easier at USC than at ND.

USC's main problem is that they're not far and away the best team in the conference now, nor even in the city. UCLA has a coaching staff that can go toe for toe in recruiting, Stanford is very good, obviously Oregon as well, and Washington is on the way back up. There's a lot more parity than when Pete Carroll got hired, and I think that's were reality and USC fan part. If they think that any hire is going to send them back up to the top of the conference without much of a fight, they're wrong, but they're a lot closer to it than ND is to 'being ND' again.

Sidenote: I hope that ramble makes sense, for some reason I couldn't find the exact words to say what I wanted. I think you get the point, though.

Iowa State got hosed last night in pretty stunning fashion.

Mack Brown probably would have needed someone to give him a ride home from the airport without those calls going his way.

Also, DMN, I totally agree on USC's road back to the top being easier. Reggie Bush and Matt Leinart were celebrities when they played at USC. They were treated like a pro team. Just being in LA is massive for recruiting, but yes it'll be a fight since the Pac-12 is cemented as the number 2 conference in the country right now as opposed to being an afterthought when Pete Carroll took over there.

At the risk of destroying my college love affair with Meacon, I don't think it's fair to compare USC and ND in that way. No, USC isn't a dominating team right now, but USC would find it much easier to climb back to the top of the PAC-12 and national prominence, and stay there, than Notre Dame. Part of that is being in a conference, part of it is location (it's easier to recruit in, and to have players come to, Los Angeles, than to South Bend), but a 'return to power' is easier at USC than at ND.

USC's main problem is that they're not far and away the best team in the conference now, nor even in the city. UCLA has a coaching staff that can go toe for toe in recruiting, Stanford is very good, obviously Oregon as well, and Washington is on the way back up. There's a lot more parity than when Pete Carroll got hired, and I think that's were reality and USC fan part. If they think that any hire is going to send them back up to the top of the conference without much of a fight, they're wrong, but they're a lot closer to it than ND is to 'being ND' again.

Sidenote: I hope that ramble makes sense, for some reason I couldn't find the exact words to say what I wanted. I think you get the point, though.

I don't disagree with that. It's 100% easier for USC, or ANY "used to be" program of that nature to get back there than ND. The dynamic of being an Independent school left a long time ago ... Penn State and Florida State figured it out ahead of the curve and catapulted forward because of it.

That's not what I'm meaning though. There used to be a luster, an aura about schools like USC, ND, Texas, and a small handful of other select universities. That simply isn't the case anymore, with anyone. 'Bama learned it at the end of the Gene Stallings era and the time right after he left ... The 1990's completely rewrote the dynamic of college football. 'Bama is really the only true select football school that has come out of the other side of the shift. Yes, Texas and USC have had NT's and rode incredible seasons since then, but neither of them has dealt with the reality of the "identity crisis" that has been brought onto the select schools due to, quite literally, the game changing.

Simply showing up in burnt orange at a kid's doorstep ... that doesn't mean shit anymore and neither does showing up with a Trojan logo, a Shamrock, or even a Maize colored shirt. Things have simply changed and having "that" name simply doesn't matter anywhere near like it used too.

Do kids still draw to those programs ? Shit yeah ... Do kids now go where they can play regardless of what name is on the helmet ? A thousand times more so than 20 years ago.

Tennessee may have lost but that was the best game Tennessee has played in a very long time

It's very hard to get excited about that when there's not a W in the column, but you're right. TN had this one. Two bad ref calls in the 4th and a touchback in the endzone ruined that. It's sickening watching Georgia celebrate like they just beat Alabama in the SEC title game or something.

Tennessee may have lost but that was the best game Tennessee has played in a very long time

It's very hard to get excited about that when there's not a W in the column, but you're right. TN had this one. Two bad ref calls in the 4th and a touchback in the endzone ruined that. It's sickening watching Georgia celebrate like they just beat Alabama in the SEC title game or something.

That touchback killed us and as soon as that happened I just knew we would have trouble stoping Murray

Also i didnt expect the vols to do anything after last week so I was very surprised. I hated when they started that afterwards and Butch Jones looks like a big updrage over Dooley

Also it is awesome what the Vols do with no turnovers in a game plus being down 17-3

The touchback rule is fucking stupid. If Georgia pounces on it, okay, but if it just rolls out of bounds it makes no sense to take the ball away and give it to Georgia. Such a shitty way to lose.

The touchback rule is fucking stupid. If Georgia pounces on it, okay, but if it just rolls out of bounds it makes no sense to take the ball away and give it to Georgia. Such a shitty way to lose.

The way I look at it is if you fumble it at the 50 yard line and goes out of bounds you keep possestion but lose in endzone oh man touchback