TV for gaming.

FLiam

So, I'm looking at buying a new TV soon in the 40-42 inch range, not sure whether to go plasma or LED, as I hear that a common issue with LED could be refresh rates when using Xbox/PS3. What would you guys recommend? Bear in mind my budget is about £500.

Image burn is the biggest issue for gaming, and Plasma TVs are most prone to image burn. Go LED.

I have an LG that's 45 inch, 3D capable, and uses only $13 of energy a year.

All wrong. Plasma screens set the standard and are the closest thing you will get to a CRT image quality wise. The two main issues were burn in and energy consumption, my panel is guaranteed to not burn (as part of the warranty) and uses the same amount of power as am LCD of the same size. I'm now at a point where LED/LCDs make me feel weird watching them because of motion blur. It does weigh a fuck ton though.

Not sure if LEDS have changed but there was only one brand laying the LED behind the display (Sharp from memory) , the rest placed the lights in the corners which led to uneven colours (and ghosting in the corners).

My advice is to buy what's right for you. Just go in and have a look around, ask some questions, read some reviews. 40 inches is still small enough that some things aren't as distracting as they can be (motion blur on LCDs only makes me feel sea sick on 50+ inch displays).

That is the one thing I want to avoid really, motion blur. The higher the refresh rate the better right? I read a review for a Samsung 40" LED and somebody had said when playing Xbox it had some blur issues. I have a 27" LG LCD TV at the moment, and the quality of the picture just isn't that great, kind of has put me off LG.

I think this one looks alright? http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/panasonic-viera-tx-l42e5b-full-hd-42-led-tv-12311778-pdt.html

Edited by Gooner27

I've had my 42" plasma over five years now, and barring a little bit of colour fade in one corner its been absolutely fine. Bearing in mind I worked from home for a chunk a while back with Sky Sports News constantly in the background I haven't had a single issue with long term screen burn.

That's not a recommendation since I've never had an LED, but just a defense against some of the criticisms. It's heavy? Fine, its not moving anywhere soon...

I have a 50 inch Panasonic plasma, that I absolutely love. I think the picture is way better than the LCD that my ex used to own (bought about a year apart...right about the same price), although screen burn in is a concern, I've had no problems with it. Power consumption is higher, but not sure what the difference is on an actual power bill..you'd have to research that. and yes, it's heavier than an LCD, but much lighter than a 50" CRT....I was able to carry it into the apartment all by myself.

I used to have a plasma tv. I play sports games that display the EA logo in the corner. 3 years after I gave it to my sister, after buying a LCD tv, theres still an NCAA logo burned into her screen from when I used to play NCAA football on it...despite hours of using the "burn cleaner" setting in the TV..which displays a white screen for 2 hours. I used it about 2-3 times a week, and she did also, and the logo is still there