What have I missed out on?

Nerf

I wasn't a big fan of the combat, either. The VATS system made for some entertaining slow-motion kills the first few times round, but it soon lost its appeal for me. At that point, the shooting had to stand on its own, which it never did with any degree of success.

I still had some fun with the game when I was exploring the world and interacting with the characters, but whenever I had to trawl through an underground station or derelict building, I'd eye proceedings with a sense of apprehension because I knew I was probably going to find things tedious for a little while.

I like RDR but I can see where you guys are coming from. I always have the same problem with GTA games, I get maybe a quarter or halfway into it and for whatever reason just stop doing missions and find more time to just tear shit up in the towns.

I personally love Fallout 3 and New Vegas, but I can also see the criticism in combat. I've always found it to be a lot of fun but I guess it's not for everybody.

Nerf, you may want to give Brutal Legend a chance. It's probably dirt cheap at this point, and it's actually a lot of fun. The combat is good, there's some cool power up and moves, you get to drive around in a bad ass hot rod, and it has a pretty damn good soundtrack (basically a bunch of 70s and 80s thrash, NWOBM, and some glam metal stuff).

I rarely ever play with VATS in Fallout. Basically I only use it if I'm about to die and have no other options. But I played on PC and got mods to take out the auto aim, or at least decrease it a bunch. Way fun. Kind of makes me want to try playing it again but the last time I did I didn't go through and beat it, so I dunno. But yeah, if you go into Bethesda games expecting revolutionary combat, probably going to be disappointed. They excel at giving you worlds to explore. Their combat mechanics can best be described as "just enough."

I agree with RDR. I enjoyed parts but in the end just gave up before the end as I couldn't be bothered any more.

As for Fallout 3, that was a SERIOUS struggle to get into after leaving the vault. A few times I played for 30 minutes or so, got bored and turned it off. Then something clicked, I played it for a few hours straight, really fell into the game and played loads after that. It wasn't easy to begin with though.

So you gave up before the biggest twist in the game...and one holy shit moment in gaming that I never saw coming...

I agree with RDR. I enjoyed parts but in the end just gave up before the end as I couldn't be bothered any more.

As for Fallout 3, that was a SERIOUS struggle to get into after leaving the vault. A few times I played for 30 minutes or so, got bored and turned it off. Then something clicked, I played it for a few hours straight, really fell into the game and played loads after that. It wasn't easy to begin with though.

So you gave up before the biggest twist in the game...and one holy shit moment in gaming that I never saw coming...

For almost a second there, you almost sold me on giving it another shot. Then I realized there is absolutely no swerve imaginable that would be worth subjecting myself to playing through that dull game again, so I'm just gonna check spoilers instead.