What have I missed out on?

Nerf

I've always been into video games, but never as much of a "gamer." Over the last few years, I've missed out on a number of titles that piqued my interest because of a combination of no money and no time. In the last few months, I've saved some expendable cash, so I want to catch up on things I've missed. Having picked up The Last of Us and loved every second of it, it's made me wonder what other gems I haven't been able to experience. I'm looking for some PS3 games I can pick up relatively cheaply from second hand stores like CEX.

Games that I enjoy: The Last of Us, MW3, FIFA, Grand Theft Auto.

Games that I (controversially) didn't enjoy: Red Dead Redemption, Fallout 3

Besides the WWE titles and the shitty TNA video game, that's all I've bothered to buy since being blessed with a PS3. I don't have the memory or the inclination to remember the thousands of PS2 games I played and loved. Nor do I care to remind myself that I once sold thousands of pounds worth of games for £20 beer money.

Mass Effect 1-3, Bioshock 1, 2 and Infinite, Dead Space 1-3, Dishonored, Tomb Raider, XCOM: Enemy Unknown, Little Big Planet 1 & 2, The Walking Dead, Borderlands 1 & 2, Skyrim, Uncharted 1-3, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Batman Arkham Asylum & Arkham City.

My own personal order of how good I thought they were and what genre they are, if that'd help...

1. Mass Effect 1-3 (Third Person Shooter, Sci-Fi, heavily story based)

2. Tomb Raider (Third Person Shooter, 10,000 times better than any other Tomb Raider, story based, fun gameplay)

3. Deus Ex: Human Revolution (First/Third Person Shooter, Sci-Fi, heavily story based, very non-linear stealth)

4. XCOM: Enemy Unknown (Tactical Squad Based Shooter, Sci-Fi, tons of fun, free on PS+)

5. Batman Arkham Asylum (Third Person Brawler, Batman, Great story, very stealthy fun)

6. Bioshock Infinite (First Person Shooter, Sci-Fi, incredible story, gameplay is fun, if not incredible)

7. Bioshock (Same as above, but with better gameplay, play this first)

8. Little Big Planet 1 & 2 (Side scrolling platformer, wonderful gameplay, awesome co-op, great style)

9. Skyrim (First Person Hack & Slash/Western RPG, Fantasy, huge open world, provides literally over a hundred hours of gameplay.)

10. Uncharted 1-3 (Third person shooter, Indiana Jones by the creators of Last of Us. You'll find the combat lacking after Last of Us, I'd bet)

11. Batman Arkham City (Same as Arkham Asylum but with an open world, not quite as great, but still good)

12. The Walking Dead (Adventure game, based in the world of the show/comic. Incredible story, great game if you're into that sort of thing)

13. Dead Space 1-3 ("Survival" Third Person Shooter. Think Last of Us or Resident Evil in space. Survival is more forgiving, can be creepy. Fun games.)

14. Dishonored (Stealthy First Person game. Multiple ways to get around a level.)

15. Borderlands 1-2 (First person shooter, features random weapon drops, funny characters, could probably just skip 1 for 2 though.

Looking at PS+, there seems to be some pretty big games on there this month. Anyone explain how it works? Like, do I lose those games in 17 days once the time has expired or, once downloaded, do I get to keep that game for the length of my subscription?

Looking at PS+, there seems to be some pretty big games on there this month. Anyone explain how it works? Like, do I lose those games in 17 days once the time has expired or, once downloaded, do I get to keep that game for the length of my subscription?

You keep them as long as you're subscribed to PS+.

Is Mass Effect 1 on the PS3? I thought it was an xbox exclusive.

They ported it over a while ago. You can't buy it on it's own as a physical copy, so you either have to buy the Mass Effect Trilogy or download it from the PSN.

• Like 1

I agree with RDR. I enjoyed parts but in the end just gave up before the end as I couldn't be bothered any more.

As for Fallout 3, that was a SERIOUS struggle to get into after leaving the vault. A few times I played for 30 minutes or so, got bored and turned it off. Then something clicked, I played it for a few hours straight, really fell into the game and played loads after that. It wasn't easy to begin with though.