Survivor - Blood vs. Water (SPOILERS)

RPS

http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20302134_20726344,00.html

Cast revealed. Rupert, Tyson, Monica (from One World), Laura (from Samoa), Aras (winner of Panama), Tina (winner from Australia/first voted out in All Stars), Colton, Gervase (from the first season), Candice (her third time... ugh), Kat (from One World) plus their loved ones, including Hayden from Big Brother and Monica's football ex-boyfriend.

Random cast.

Excited to see: Tyson, Tina, Gervase, Kat

Oh That's Nice: Laura, Aras

Here Because of Her Loved One: Monica

Ugh: Colton, Rupert, Candice

Not a very good cast. They are out of excuses for not bringing Shane back now. Also, no Courtney Yates and her British dad is disappointing.

Also, I don't know if it's been revealed or not, but apparently Redemption Island is back.

I'm excited to see Tyson, Tina, Gervase, Aras back. The rest... meh. This season is stacked with far more reasonable and intelligent people who seem to be super fans, so my guess is people like Rupert / Colton / Candice get cut early and probably their family members too.

Early prediction to win is Aras. Dude is the total package.

On the plus side, three One World players back and none of them are Troyzan. Ha!

Then again, three One World players back and two of them are Monica and Colton :(

Really, the fact that this cast is dominated by players from the biggest bomb of a Survivor season ever is just. Sigh.

Troyzan was a tool. He's one of those guys who was edited to be a hero because they had to tell some sort of story in One World. But the One World who were casted this season? Yeesssssssh. Horrible. I mean Kat's ok, but... Colton and Monica? Duds. It's nice that they got a large spread of people from a variety of seasons. It'll be cool to see a guy like Gervase revisit the game.

Can't wait, I need some Survivor in my life. I was under the impression Sandra would return with her military husband but they were false rumours apparently. Fun to see old school Survivors back like Gervase and Tina, even though Tina will probably be one of the first out. Kat and Tyson should be hilarious. Aras seems like a very cool guy after listening to some interviews with Rob C and he's a winner so kinda deserves this. Most people hate Colton but I don't, he made the first half of One World slightly entertaining. Is that his gay lover? Doesn't seem like the type he'd fall for. Fuck Rupert and Candice. It's Rupert's FOURTH TIME and he was a complete dick the last 2 times. I can't see his wife doing well either. What did Candice ever do to deserve to come back? Yuck. Surely there are other Survivors with interesting loved ones like Lisa W's brother who seemed to grasp the game pretty well and he was in shape. Monica I'm indifferent about, I was sort of rooting for her in One World for a bit but she doesn't deserve to return solely because of her husband.

Hayden is a former winner of Big Brother, part of the well known "Brigade" that ran the show. He made good decisions throughout the show, did well in challenges and had a good social game. I can definitely see him go very far, especially if somehow none of the cast members know he's a former winner of a reality show.

Hayden and Aras are my two main picks to win.

Yeah, after reflection and reading more about Redemption Island (basically you get to pick to switch places with your loved ones if they are on Redemption Island and there is always 3 people on Redemption Island), I'm probably not going to watch this season. It's gotten to the point where the show has too many twists and it's so convoluted. And upon reflection, the blood versus water twist is going to fail horribly. It's no secret that returning players make pre-existing alliances. Well, now there family members are going to make pre-existing alliances. I wouldn't be surprised if the merged consisted entirely of the the loved one pairs.

After watching the interviews by Dalton Ross with the players I have a better idea of everyone.

Laura's daughter (I forgot Laura was one of the returnees) will be the first one out. She seems weak and she was already crying about being away from her family DURING THE INTERVIEW. The game hasn't even started yet. It seems like Laura wants to be there badly and she begged her daughter to be her loved one but she doesn't really want to be there. Rupert's wife is pretty fucked too, I think she'll suck in the challenges.

As for the returnees Rupert is screwed because he still seems delusional and annoying and I think Gervase will do very well but get voted off near the end due to having an amazing social game ala Brenda.

I'm still sticking with Hayden or Aras to win, although Aras' brother Vytas is a potential winner too I think. Tyson will probably make a stupid decision again.

Edited by The Quasi Juice

• 2 weeks later...

Not even twenty minutes in and the first contestant out is going to either be Rupert or Candice. Season's already earned points from me.

EDIT: Monica coming back sucks because she's forgettable, but holy shit, Brad. "Four with nine equals out" is an instant classic.

EDIT II: Oh, that's a stupid vote. They just made their tribe weaker to do nothing but spite a weak player on the other side.

Sooooooooo..

what's the verdict? Check it out or not?

Most of the bad stuff you know about already, except also add in that this time Colton is crying a lot over various things.

As far as the good, this season starts with the Survivor Palau "you're voting two people out immediately" twist and the result will probably make you happy. Some of the new players are promising, mostly Aras' brother, Colton's boyfriend, and for hilarity's sake Monica's husband.

That was probably one of the weakest first episodes in recent memory. We didn't get really any insight into the returning player power structure but I think Dalton Ross on EW said Tina, Gervase and Aras had a pre-game alliance. My guess is that the One World players might be perceived as allies and might be targeted.

From the first episode, I'd say the only people I can see winning is Tina, Tyson, Vytas or Caleb. All had pretty favorable edits and they likely won't have targets on their back. I'd say Aras too, but he was a bit invisible in the episode. The only reason I'd say Vytas can't win is because there is no way anybody would let him get anywhere near final 4 or 5, because the guy's back story is final tribal council gold.

"We're 5 men strong.... We've got 4 men and a gay guy so we're good."

So this episode is why Monica was cast in the first place?

My mind is blown, like really. This is some Chikara shit right here. It's been years in the making, so much effort and time put in, but they've finally done it.

Hodgeboom, Jimmy Johnson, Grant, even Jeff Kent. Useful in their own ways but ultimately falling short of the goal.

A famous jock alpha male placed on a tribe where he SHOULD be very successful, who is not only vaguely aware of strategy but has the potential to be entertaining as well as dominant.

Brad Culpepper is the Survivor Unicorn. He is our Messiah and he has come to save us all.

I'm not sure that the "Gervase was celebrating!" excuse is the reason Marissa got the boot so much as that she seemed intelligent, and made the mistake of acknowledging Brad's tarp foot in mouth while he was standing right there. It's like calling Coach a temporary player an hour before he assumes control of the tribe. Brad seems collected enough to use Gervase being annoying as a really dumb excuse, but petty to the point that he'd take her "Not on my tribe!" comment as a personal attack, and prioritize her eviction over puzzle failure.

Saddens me because Marissa is one of the few young black women I can remember on this show that weren't immediately classed as crazy, bitch, or ghetto, but doesn't seem to be a player.

Rupert clearly fighting his own legend, looking for any reason he could to take back his over the top volunteering? That was amazing.

I loved how Rupert and Laura immediately assumed the tribe was voting out Laura because they were scared of Rupert. Suuuuure Rupert, you go think that. So it wasn't because she was the oldest in that tribe and easily the least in shape?

I agree about Marissa, she didn't seem annoying, "sassy" or all those things. In fact she was good in the challenge, easily the best female competitor they had. Booting her just because Gervase was celebrating too hard is ridiculous. Gervase sucked, so why care if he re-aligns with Marissa later on? Hell, Marissa seemed the MOST likely out of everyone to one day vote for her loved one.