GA!

I'm doing reasonably well at the moment; my "novel" has taken something of a back seat lately, but I've been writing some disjointed bits and pieces that I think show promise. I'm doing a poetry evening next week, first one in years; it's a reasonably small private affair, so no pressure to read anything I've actually written, just stuff I like for now, but the idea of it has got me writing poetry again for the first time in several years. Not good poetry, but it's a start. Been tweaking my short play, too, with the hope of putting that on in September.

Other than that, I'm reading a book called Eating Animals at the moment, and there's a short paragraph in there about how factory farmed chickens are kept, and it tries to imagine similar human conditions...and a short story pretty much sprung into mind fully formed from that idea, something kind of Kafkaesque and unlike anything I've really done before. So I'm going to work on that today.

Already read Jimmy's script, and I will read Liam's prose sometime next week (away from tonight all weekend).

I'm about 3,500 words into a novel. No idea if it's any good or not. I will be giving it a once over next week and then probably beg for feedback on here. I also want to work on a screenplay as I've not written anything in that form for over a year, though hopefully an original project, and not a fallback for if my novel is a pile of shite.

I seem to be averaging 1000 words a week on my novel. Just below 4500 at the moment. I'm going to print off what I have so far, note where I need to improve the prose but not edit anything specific, then put it in my drawer.

My plan for next week, if I don't get too distracted by Haruki Murakami's new novel, is to write 1000 words per day Monday to Friday.

After that, I'm going to take a few weeks off. Slow and steady wins the race, but I need to actually get some words on the page first.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I posted this on Facebook yesterday:

Looking to expand the ol' writing portfolio by collaborating and guest blogging and shit. Get in touch if you're interested... and shit.

Which, I guess, applies here. Also does anyone know of good websites and such I can 'ply my trade' (as it were).