The 2004-2005 Network Television Thread

Ananas

Angel reruns on TNT is the only thing that keeps me watching TV.

DVD is the place to be. But if you're broke, don't forget about Buffy reruns on FX as well.

And yes I know I'm coming off as a total Buffite, but seriously, Buffy and Angel were the only shows keeping the WB and UPN watchable. But that's cool, the WB probably won't last more than five years. UPN of course has Viacom backing it, but UPN is barely a network anyway.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can easily tell you when TV was better, the early 90s.  We had FOX which was completely kicking ass with hilarious and original shows like the Simpsons (before it was a parody of itself), Married With Children, The Critic, and stuff they may not have been great but it was outside of your standard sitcom, my best example of that would be Herman's Head.  Reality TV and the Simpsons downfall killed FOX

Meanwhile, on ABC we had great sitcoms like Roseanne, Dinosaurs and later Drew Carey.  Also had the groundbreaking drama NYPD Blue.  Dharma & Greg of course killed ABC.

NBC had Law & Order before it became the show that just took whatever was going on in the news and fictionalizing it.  Not to mention arguably the greatest show of all time, Seinfeld.

Are you certain that those shows were any better, or does time make it seem better. I can't honestly watch a show like Roseanne or Drew Carey anymore due to how mercilessly cliched sitcoms have become. I know that the error of it's descendants shouldn't take anything away from what was, but Roseanne and Drew Carey both became nearly unwatchable towards the end of the shows runs. Some of todays sitcoms (most of this can be credited to FOX), don't rely on a laugh track to tell the audience when they are supposed to laugh. Unfortunately, some networks don't seem to be taking the hint and continue to develop sitcoms in search of the next Friends or Frasier, and in turn fail miserably. Why else do you think Reality TV is having such success?

I'll concede that Law & Order and NYPD were both great advancements in television drama, but I'll also argue that shows like CSI and 24 are advancements on those earlier prototypes. 24's real time style has made every moment of every

episode seem like must see TV. A show like CSI takes the shock value of network television to a new level. All the while, both shows are superbly acted.

Now, your feelings about Reality TV aside, the show that spawned countless imitations, Survivor, has made for some of TV's most memorable moments. I'd agree with you that the show's success has led to some dilluted shows (The Littlest Groom, Joe Millionaire and The Bachelor come to mind) making it to air, but Survivor I think stands untouched as one of the better shows of the 21st Century to date. I can think of nothing (The Real World included) that combined real situations with intense TV any better from the 90's.

I guess preference is what this comes down to. If you prefer a sharp traditional sitcom to the more experamentative (and definitely imperfect) dramadies of this most recent decade, then the 90's (and probably the 80's as well) are probably what you'd prefer. However, I'd tend to think that through the natural course of television, shows have been constantly evolving, and that what we have now is the natural next step in the evolution of TV. Sure, there is plenty of shit on the networks' schedules. Then again, there was plenty of shitty TV throughout the 90's (thirtysomething, Mad About You, Home Improvement, Wings and Murphy Brown all come to mind). Like I said, it all comes down to choice.

P.S. The appeal of Scrubs is it's ability to do virtually any genre with ease, coupled with phenomenal acting performances and a never ending childlike innocence.

Roseanne and Drew Carey were awful toward the end of their runs, most shows suffer that fate. I hate laugh tracks too which is why I can't watch the first season of Drew Carey. Granted, studio audiences are there to tell you when to laugh, but they're not as bad as the canned track.

But I won't budge on reality TV, not even Survivor. Of course it comes down to personal preference, but I have never been entertained by any reality show. Glorified game shows and I cannot care about a bunch of wannabe actors who go on to become F-list celebrities.

I'd like to know Beatnik's thoughts on Angel/Buffy.

To be honest, I never got into either. It's not that I dislike either, guess I just became interested in it too late to the game and didn't feel like taking the effort to get caught up. I do like both Smallville and Roswell, so perhaps some time I'll rent some of the season DVDs.

Can anyone give me a reason why "Andy Richter Controls the Universe" was cancelled?

Because FOX didn't know how to promote it and it never got an audience. Fear not, as Andy Richter has another show called "Quintuplets" premiering this month on the very same network.

I think Richter would have more success going back to Conan, the poor guy. <_<

The only thing is, Conan doesn't need Andy anymore. Don't get me wrong, I think Conan would welcome him back but A) Richter wouldn't go back and B) Conan's only improved since he left.

The only thing is, Conan doesn't need Andy anymore.  Don't get me wrong, I think Conan would welcome him back but A ) Richter wouldn't go back and B ) Conan's only improved since he left.

I would agree with you there, Zero. Conan has improved since Andy left. How he has improved, well, let's just say a puppet dog help him.

I would agree with you there, Zero. Conan has improved since Andy left. How he has improved, well, let's just say a puppet dog help him.

You mean the concept Conan's writing staff stole from Ed the Sock two weeks after they rejected bringing Ed himself on? That puppet dog?