The 2004-2005 Network Television Thread

Ananas

I'm going to watch both Drew Carrey and Jeff Foxworthy's shows on WB. Angel was also not renewed because the main character..David Bornez or something wanted to do movies like most people who have a big show. Sarah Michell Gellar went from Buffy to..Scooby Doo? What is he going to do, become the new Mr. Rogers?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to watch both Drew Carrey and Jeff Foxworthy's shows on WB. Angel was also not renewed because the main character..David Bornez or something wanted to do movies like most people who have a big show. Sarah Michell Gellar went from Buffy to..Scooby Doo? What is he going to do, become the new Mr. Rogers?

Angel was cancelled because of production costs, not because David Boreanaz wanted to do movies. Fuck, he did Valentine while still doing Angel.

David Boreanaz said he wouldn't come back to Angel unless it was a feature film aka a big screen movie. Maybe you got mixed up?

I think that im gonna give almost everything a chance, watch at least one episode of each and whatever i like ill watch, whatever i dont, then ill just stop watching.

I am not sure what to think. On one hand, if it is changed, it won't conflict with me wanting to watch Nip/Tuck and having to tape this. And On the other hand, if it is not on until the Fall, it'll be on a Saturday, which most likely will result in low ratings, and then a cancellation. Which would suck. So, I am not sure what to make of this idea.

I think it was ina good position following Big Brother. Big Brother draws in good ratings, and I am sure if people were watching that show that they might consider staying to watch the next show, Amazing Race 5, and potentially score a big night for CBS. But who knows.

I think it was ina  good position following Big Brother. Big Brother draws in good ratings, and I am sure if people were watching that show that they might consider staying to watch the next show, Amazing Race 5, and potentially score a big night for CBS. But who knows.

I'm not sure why they don't slot it on Wednesdays at 9pm, following a rerun of Survivor. (Or slot it in on Wed at 8, and cut 60 Minutes II).

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just going to come out and say it: TV is not worth watching anymore. Other than Family Guy coming back, there is absolutely NOTHING worth watching. Fuck the OC (I didn't like it when it was called 90210 either), Fuck Paris Hilton (why is she even famous? If she were to die right now, the world would be absolutely no different. She's not that hot and she contributes nothing to the world), fuck ABC for being the shittiest network of all time (cancelled the Critic, cancelled Clerks, fucked up Drew Carey's timeslot, and dropped the ball when they had some of the best comedies), fuck the Simpsons (let the show go fanboys, it sucks now), Fuck reality shows, Fuck NBC, fuck FOX, fuck TV.

After watching "Wrong Turn" and seeing the ratings for TRU Calling (horrible name for a show to begin with), do you think Eliza Dushku cries herself to sleep at night for not going with the rumored Faith spinoff?

Seriously, this is just depressing to look at, with no Buffy or Angel, the only good shows on television look to be 24 and Family Guy. I'm not digging this American Dad thing, it just sounds like Family Guy but oh! He's a CIA agent and there's a pet alien instead of a talking dog. I'm sure it will be better than just about anything else on TV, but just give me 22 more episodes of Family Guy instead.

TV is dead.

TV is dead.

If you say that while shows like Scrubs, 24, Joan of Arcadia and Family Guy are on the air (I'll leave out The O.C. for argument's sake), what period exactly was TV alive? Before 2001 or so, comedies and dramas were completely cookie cut. Comedies went with the canned laughter while dramas went with the traditional triangular plot concept. With shows like Scrubs and Family Guy, sitcoms began to diversify, bringing the humour to the viewer instead of forced hilarity. Adding shows like 24 and Joan of Arcadia (and a ton of other shows that while I'm not a fan of are very original) gave way to original and creative concepts, most noteable obviously being the real time concept of 24. Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel represents the dying breed of sci-fi teen dramas; the only one I can think of still around is Smallville. It was a concept that took off with those three shows (Roswell also included) and is now dying down. It's a trend, and one that in the greater scheme of things didn't last very long. Let it die. It seems to me that you're more resentful of The WB and UPN's treatment of your beloved two as opposed to real concern over the state of television. I challenge you, name another period in television where greater creativity and originality existed. In my opinion, there's more quality programming available now than ever, you just have to know where to look for it.

Hehe.

That show sucks ass.

Hmm... seems funny that a show with mediocre marketing and a terrible timeslot would attract such a large following if it sucked ass.

if by large following you mean people who don't go out on a Friday night, then I'm with you.

Friends had a large following, doesn't mean it was a good show.

Friends also had the NBC marketing machine behind it. "Joan" didn't. And they didn't simply draw on the normal Friday television audience; they expanded on it. People stayed in to watch the show. No network had a Friday presence until CBS grabbed it with Joan of Arcadia. It wasn't out of marketing genius, but the show being really, really good.

I can easily tell you when TV was better, the early 90s. We had FOX which was completely kicking ass with hilarious and original shows like the Simpsons (before it was a parody of itself), Married With Children, The Critic, and stuff they may not have been great but it was outside of your standard sitcom, my best example of that would be Herman's Head. Reality TV and the Simpsons downfall killed FOX

Meanwhile, on ABC we had great sitcoms like Roseanne, Dinosaurs and later Drew Carey. Also had the groundbreaking drama NYPD Blue. Dharma & Greg of course killed ABC.

NBC had Law & Order before it became the show that just took whatever was going on in the news and fictionalizing it. Not to mention arguably the greatest show of all time, Seinfeld.

The only network that has really improved since the early 90s is CBS since they no longer cater to 75 year olds that watch the Nightly News and drift off at 6:30, and just happen to leave the TV on during Walker Texas Ranger.

24 and Family Guy are great shows, but Family Guy has been off the air for two years which has really caused TV to suffer. I've tried watching Scrubs and I just don't get the appeal, but it is more watchable than anything else on NBC. As for Joan of Arcadia, it's got a shitty timeslot so I've never seen it to have an opinion.

And yes, I am resentful that Buffy and Angel are off the air, but those were the only good shows on TV. I really don't have anything to say about the WB or UPN because I never watched the shows while they were on air, I always caught them on DVD.

So yes, TV is dead. Even cable is becoming a desolate wasteland. 200 channels and the only thing really worth watching is South Park.