Retro Gaming Thread

JasonM

So having found the game GPM2 yesterday, and finding out a bunch of people here are known with it. I felt it was a nice addition if we got a ''retro'' thread.

I at times love to play old games, stuff like Jagged Alliance 2 (still modded heavily) I play at least once every few months to feed that nostalgia craving.

So let's talk about those old games we're playing.

• Like 1

I'll sometimes bring out the Mega Drive Sonic games for a whirl, and the older Worms games are always good for a round or two.

"Retro" is a bit of a strange term, especially now that video game graphics and gameplay mechanics are evolving less and less with each passing year or console generation. I've seen websites that classify "retro" games as ones that were released over ten years ago, which gives us such old-school, retro classics as Tony Hawk's Underground 2, Killzone, Doom 3, The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay and Crash: Twinsanity. More importantly, 2003's WWE Crush Hour is now apparently a bona fide retro experience.

With that in mind, what does everyone else consider to be worthy of "retro" distinction?

Personally I regard anything before the year 2001 as retro. The reason I use 2001 rather than 2000 is the fact that of course 2001 saw the release of the game that essentially turned the business upside down in more ways than one. That game of course being GTA3 which brought open-world, 3D, and general action gaming to a whole different level.

Before that, the lines get blurry. I also tend to regard games of the pre-360/PS3 era as retro games even if they're from after 2001. Games like NBA street V3 and Def Jam FFNY are still a very fun game to play.

Everyone will have their own definitions of ''retro''. But for me it's mostly pre-2001.

• Like 1

I tend to go back a couple of generations, so roughly PS1 era going into earlier PS2 but I won't get too arsey over it though. I would have said if games are getting current gen reworkings they could fit in (see MGS updates for the PS3) but that would mean by my own definition GTA5 or Last of US is retro :shifty:

I mentioned elsewhere I still occasionally get out the Spectrum or A600 for a little while. I still get hours of addictive game play out of Head Coach on the Spectrum. It may only have 8 plays but it's still the best NFL management game you're going to get. Also was my first dose of onemoreturnitis growing up.

Broadly I'd pretty much class PS1 and earlier as "retro", though I doubt I'd ever consciously refer to any PS1 game as a "retro game".

This is pretty much my area, though - I spend more time playing games I played as a kid than I do playing anything new, and I've finally found a place in Jersey that sells Mega Drive games, so I'm working on building up that collection.

I currently own a Mega Drive, Dreamcast, Spectrum and Game Boy, as well as using the Wii and 2DS to play "retro" games, and my girlfriend's WiiU and PS3. I sometimes dabble in emulators, though not for a while.

I'd say pretty much all of my top 10 favourite games ever are pre-2000.

I was at my cousins last week and we dug out the Super Nintendo for some good old Super Mario World and Double Dragon. So much of my childhood was spent playing those two games with him and since we barely see each other anymore, it was an amazing time.

• Like 1

I consider retro games to be 64bit and less.. Current games being released in that format I'd consider Retro-style games etc.

But that's me...

Recently my son has been pulling me into playing Super Prodotector: Alien Rebels on the SNES. It's either ridiculously difficult or I am really bad at it. Over the past few days we have only just gotten to stage 2 :D

Most of the time he plays Pokemon Yellow on the GameBoy converter. Such a handy accessory