The 2015 Music Thread

RPS

So Rage Against The Machine bassist Tim Commerford has outet himself as conspiracy-theorist-nutjob. He things IS was created by the government so that we can drop bombs on them:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/rage-against-the-machine-bassist-gives-band-update-talks-isis-trump-20151002?page=4

Fucking hell....

Commerford has long been a mental. In fact the only member of RATM who hasn't been shown to be an arse or hypocritical is Brad.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if many people here like metal but the new Parkway drive album, Ire, is incredible.

They've really evolved past their usual 'Hardcore' metal style, while still retaining their own sound somehow. Great from start to finish.

• 2 weeks later...

Another great late release of the year - Neon Indian's VEGA INTL. Night School. It sounds like his last two albums (synthy chill wave), but turn up the funk, sex appeal and tropical breeze. 

• 2 weeks later...

I really like Noel Gallagher, to the extent where I'm seeing him live next April and I think 'Chasing Yesterday' is one of the better albums of 2015, but he's always suffered from 'old man yells at cloud' syndrome. Arctic Monkeys and Royal Blood could be snorting cocaine off a striper's arse crack on and throwing TVs through a hotel window and he'd still comment how he did it better in the 90s, simply because he's not them. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Once I heard Cha Cha by D.R.A.M, I was significantly less entertained by Hotline Bling. It is humorous that in a year where there was so much focus on his plagiarism, he copied another song for his most successful song. 

• 2 weeks later...

finally got and listened to the new Blur. Not sure about it. Right now it feels a bit like if they'd released 13 without either "Tender" or "Coffee & TV." Which isn't to say that I'm not delighted that there's a new Blur, just that I'd be putting this one closer to the bottom than the top. "Ong Ong" is growing on me, though.

I feel like going to a gig again as the last one I went to was nearly exactly a year ago (it was The Weeks, who I'd never heard of, in a local club with only about 50 people there if that and I went on own) so I was checking out local gigs at the same club and saw a band called Turnover are playing.

They apparently emo/pop-punk and sound a little like (the very little) Sunny Day Real Estate I've heard. They had an album called Peripheral Vision released in 2015.

I'm on my second straight listen through now, and it's pretty good if slightly depressing. But they're doing a great job of sounding like and describing the moods that I get myself into. None more so than "Take My Head" (lyrics in spoilers), which is exactly how I feel when I feel really low and lonely.

It's the worst in the summer
Those happy songs on the radio
And all the pretty girls and perfect weather
All make me want to know who really cares

Cut my brain into hemispheres
I want to smash my face until it's nothing but ears
I want to paint my drain with a little red stain tonight
Take my head because it's what I want
I want to fall asleep with the tv on
And let the house burn down until it's gone with me inside

Rest my head just a little longer
I don’t care what time it is