London 2012

Britain has hosted pretty major events recently e.g Euro 96, Commonwealth Games and we have hosted both the World Cup and Olympic games. I think we got screwed out of hosting the 2006 World Cup probably due to the fact FIFA thought Wembley wouldn't be ready in time but at the moment they are ahead of schedule.

USA also held a World cup

USA had the men's World Cup in 1994 and the Ladies World Cup within the last 2 or 3 years.

Gives them a bit more experience over us.

Britain has hosted pretty major events recently e.g Euro 96, Commonwealth Games and we have hosted both the World Cup and Olympic games. I think we got screwed out of hosting the 2006 World Cup probably due to the fact FIFA thought Wembley wouldn't be ready in time but at the moment they are ahead of schedule.

Euro '96 was not exactly major. The Commonwealth Games was getting there but still no-where nea the Olympic stage in terms of size. The World Cup was 48 years ago, I hardly think you can put that down if you think of all the changes that have happened in the last nigh 50 years! The Olympics? London 1948 was a fantastic event I'm sure, but COME ON!! It was nearly 60 years ago! I think the standards for stadia may have risen just slightly since then....

and I think that our stadiums are up to date and wouldn't have any problem hosting such a large event. The IOC even said that our public transport is good and thats been a talking point recently with people saying it is crap and wont be able to cope with all the people.

and I think that our stadiums are up to date and wouldn't have any problem hosting such a large event. The IOC even said that our public transport is good and thats been a talking point recently with people saying it is crap and wont be able to cope with all the people.

You know it's just Stadia in London?

New York would be the biggest Olympic flop in a long time. The city is just not designed for the Olympics. Also the US has gotten the Olympics too much recently. Atlanta in 96, Salt Lake City in 2002.

I'm rooting for London too since I'll probably get a chance to check it out if it goes there.

New York

Madrid

Paris

London

Moscow

These are the finalist.

Personally I think London or Paris get it. Paris being the favorite. I'll be pretty upset if the US gets it considering they got the 1996 Summer game(which should've been Greece since it was the 100 year anniversary of the first olympics and the 2002 Winter games)

Guest Locutus of Borg

CNN had said geography would say that a European city would get it, seeing as Beijing has the 2008 Summer Olympics and Vancouver's got the 2010 Winter Olympics.

EDIT: London's already drawn up renderings for an Olympic Park in the east of the city:

story.london.ap.jpg

Edited by Locutus of Borg

The Olympics are held in the US so often for one factor money. I wouldnt be suprised if the NY gets them but I am guessing Paris will since they got higher grades from the IOC from the last round. I doubt Madrid will get it because of fear of safty on trasportation and Moscow just doesnt seem like a good place to host summer Olympics I mean the weather just seems like it would be cooler there.

It said on the news the other day that London got rated very low down on some of the factors that we were being judged on such as transport, experience, stadia etc. It sounds as if we won't be getting it. :(

I don't think I would want to see the Olympics again in the United States for a while, because we've had a few in recent years anyway and because of the terrorist risk.

I'd like to see London, Paris, or Madrid get it first. Some place in western Europe.