The "How is this still a thing?" Thread

Benji

22 hours ago, apsham said:

I was trying to think of a game that did that - and I thought of something else that annoys the shit out of me. Low health warning noises. Not the ones that tell you "hey man, you're low on health" but the ones that are like "HEY YOUR HEALTH IS LOW! HEY YOUR HEALTH IS LOW! HEY YOUR HEALTH IS LOW! HEY YOUR HEALTH IS LOW! HEY YOUR HEALTH IS LOW! HEY YOUR HEALTH IS LOW!"

I'm looking at you, Zelda.

I dunno, Overwatch has kind of the opposite issue where you are forced to keep checking your health because the last gasp noise isn't consistent. I'd much rather have a proper 'low health' indicator no matter how annoying than just dying because I had no idea I was suddenly nearly dead.

GameInformer. Seriously, why does this still exist? I mean it's digital now, but still.

On 10/14/2016 at 12:39, Benji said:

Health being indicated by splatter on the screen. It was a novel idea at first, but really it's just an annoyance. I find myself wasting health packs in games just to get rid of the tiniest indication of that damage because it annoys me.

The one time I like that, strangely, is in the Tour de France games on consoles. When you go "into the red", the edges of the screen start going black and you hear a heartbeat. Which is pretty much how I've ever experienced it when I've ridden too hard and can't keep the effort up in real life - everything starts going black around the edges, you can hear your own heartbeat and taste metal.