2016/2017 Hockey Thread

SeanDMan

As much as I cursed at him for some of his past failures, I am so sad to see Flower go. It is going to be so different seeing this team without Fleury, and man, his first game back in Pittsburgh is gonna hit me hard. And despite some bad playoffs, they wouldn't have gotten to win the cup without him this year, and people forget he carried the team during the dark Johnston days before the coaching change. Hope for nothing but the best for him, and I hope they retire his jersey in Pittsburgh someday when he retires.

Vegas traded Van Riemsdyk to Carolina for a 2nd Round Pick.

Edmonton moved Jordan Eberle to the Islanders in exchange for Ryan Strome. Eberle produces better, but has a higher price tag. Strome is a solid hand that gives the Oilers some needed cap space too. Eberle playing with Tavares is going to be deadly.

15 hours ago, damshow said:

Sounds like Vegas had the deal in place with Pittsburgh way back in March to take Fleury. He's possibly the "original" Golden Knight.

Rutherford is looking like a genius for having made that deal and keeping Fleury past the deadline more and more.

9 hours ago, Gabriel said:

Vegas traded Van Riemsdyk to Carolina for a 2nd Round Pick.

Edmonton moved Jordan Eberle to the Islanders in exchange for Ryan Strome. Eberle produces better, but has a higher price tag. Strome is a solid hand that gives the Oilers some needed cap space too. Eberle playing with Tavares is going to be deadly.

Cap space they are gonna waste on Kris Russell.

20 hours ago, Hewey said:

As much as I cursed at him for some of his past failures, I am so sad to see Flower go. It is going to be so different seeing this team without Fleury, and man, his first game back in Pittsburgh is gonna hit me hard. And despite some bad playoffs, they wouldn't have gotten to win the cup without him this year, and people forget he carried the team during the dark Johnston days before the coaching change. Hope for nothing but the best for him, and I hope they retire his jersey in Pittsburgh someday when he retires.

I'd even argue they wouldn't have won it a few years back if it weren't for Fleury. He was absolutely unreal that whole playoff run. 

1 hour ago, Meacon said:

I'd even argue they wouldn't have won it a few years back if it weren't for Fleury. He was absolutely unreal that whole playoff run. 

Oh for sure, the save in game 7 secured the cup, the great save on Ovi in game 7 that year, his game 4 against Philly, etc he had a great run that year.

I didn't see any real list ever have him at #2, unless you meant #2 for defense. Maybe I can see an early case for #3, but I don't see him falling there even if he didn't end up with health problems.    

Edited by TGWL

The Flames have acquired Travis Hamonic from the New York Islanders, along with a 4th round pick, in exchange for a first round pick and two seconds, I believe.

Price is a bit steep, I think... but Hamonic is a massive upgrade over the guys that were being paired with TJ Brodie this season, it didn't cost us anybody off of the roster, and the cupboards are pretty full for prospects in the system right now, so the picks are probably picks we can afford to give up, especially if the team finishes better this season.

So far, we've lost Deryk Engelland and are probably due to lose Brian Elliott to free agency. Hamonic is considerably better than Engelland, and I'd argue that Mike Smith is better and more reliable than Elliott, even if I still would have gone with a different option personally.

There is still a ways to go before the Flames are cup contenders, but they made the playoffs this year despite their lapses on defense and in net... and those two big weaknesses have already been improved upon. If they can get a quality backup to play behind Smith and keep the back-end more consistent, this team is going to be dangerous.