2016/2017 Hockey Thread

SeanDMan

Even as a Penguins fanboy, I did not see us being up 2-0 so far, Fleury has been unbelievable, but man they really need to tighten up, at this point, all they have to do is win one out of the next two and they got this one in the bag.

Crazy game between the Sens and Rangers yesterday too.

On 4/30/2017 at 12:35, damshow said:

I think at this point the Capitals don't believe they can do it, that they're forever destined to lose to Crosby and the Pens.

I hope they're broken like that, expecting them to take it tonight and Pittsburgh to take the next one, though, if the Pens go up 3-0, it's over.

I read that Crosby was back at the arena and told a worker there he was ok, hopefully he's ok and it was a precaution, but fuck the Caps, Niskanen should be suspended if Crosby is injured. Only way the Caps can win is to play dirty, and with no Crosby, I don't see the Pens winning this. 

Yeah there are plenty of ways to make that hit that are a whole lot cleaner, he just went straight for the head of a guy with a history of concussions. Everyone around here is defending it of course, because hockey fans.

That game was wild, when the Pens tied it up I thought the Caps would emotionally quit. And it's Shattenkirk, who has been awful all playoffs, who scored the winner.

13 hours ago, Hewey said:

I read that Crosby was back at the arena and told a worker there he was ok, hopefully he's ok and it was a precaution, but fuck the Caps, Niskanen should be suspended if Crosby is injured. Only way the Caps can win is to play dirty, and with no Crosby, I don't see the Pens winning this. 

Suspended for that? Niskanen barely did anything on that and was put in an unfortunate position of having to protect himself from Crosby colliding with him.  This all happens because of Ovechkin.  He whacked Crosby across the back and brings his stick back against Crosby's head as their skates touch, that put Crosby off balance and changed where he was skating. If you slow it down, it's almost Ovechkin's hit the head that Crosby's body reacted to the most.   I don't think there's any reason to suspend Niskanen. 

Edited by TGWL

10 hours ago, TGWL said:

Suspended for that? Niskanen barely did anything on that and was put in an unfortunate position of having to protect himself from Crosby colliding with him.  This all happens because of Ovechkin.  He whacked Crosby across the back and brings his stick back against Crosby's head as their skates touch, that put Crosby off balance and changed where he was skating. If you slow it down, it's almost Ovechkin's hit the head that Crosby's body reacted to the most.   I don't think there's any reason to suspend Niskanen. 

Niskanen should have been responsible for his stick, and he clearly drove it into Crosby's head, whether there was intent or not, he did it, Crosby is hurt, probably done for the series, he should be held accountable. Ovechkin should have been given a penalty too.

It's a disgrace there's no punishment on the hit and Pittsburgh probably will lose the series because of dirty shit like that. I almost wish someone would injure someone important on their team "accidentally" and see what would happen.

11 hours ago, Hewey said:

Niskanen should have been responsible for his stick, and he clearly drove it into Crosby's head, whether there was intent or not, he did it, Crosby is hurt, probably done for the series, he should be held accountable. Ovechkin should have been given a penalty too.

It's a disgrace there's no punishment on the hit and Pittsburgh probably will lose the series because of dirty shit like that. I almost wish someone would injure someone important on their team "accidentally" and see what would happen.

Yes, Niskanen deserves a penalty for not being responsible for his stick.  Wasn't there a penalty called? That was not a suspension worthy penalty when Niskanen didn't go out of his way to hit Crosby.   The entire play happened on a penalty not called on Ovechkin, not because of an intent from Niskanen.  It sucks that Crosby has a concussion now, but Niskanen only got his hands / stick up when Crosby crossed his path, changing directions.  From what I've seen from the twitter hockey media, excluding Button and Cherry, most weren't calling for Niskanen to be suspended, most are upset on what Ovechkin did - whacking somebody from behind like that.  

Penguins radio network host, Metzer, said "Without Ovechkin's stick work there is no Niskanen hit".

Only a 3rd of NHL coaches and GM surveyed said they would give Niskanen a 1 game suspension, while the others said no suspension.  

I think it's unfortunate that Crosby got injured here, but I don't see this being a suspension type play from Niskanen. 

Edited by TGWL

1 hour ago, TGWL said:

Yes, Niskanen deserves a penalty for not being responsible for his stick.  Wasn't there a penalty called? That was not a suspension worthy penalty when Niskanen didn't go out of his way to hit Crosby.   The entire play happened on a penalty not called on Ovechkin, not because of an intent from Niskanen.  It sucks that Crosby has a concussion now, but Niskanen only got his hands / stick up when Crosby crossed his path, changing directions.  From what I've seen from the twitter hockey media, excluding Button and Cherry, most weren't calling for Niskanen to be suspended, most are upset on what Ovechkin did - whacking somebody from behind like that.  

Penguins radio network host, Metzer, said "Without Ovechkin's stick work there is no Niskanen hit".

Only a 3rd of NHL coaches and GM surveyed said they would give Niskanen a 1 game suspension, while the others said no suspension.  

I think it's unfortunate that Crosby got injured here, but I don't see this being a suspension type play from Niskanen. 

The intent might not have been to injure him, but it happened, Crosby has a concussion as a result of Niskanen's hit, he should be held accountable. He could have eased up and not hit Crosby like that, but he didn't, imo he should be suspended for the series.

I came into this thread to catch up on the posts i'd missed and aww fuckit I forgot we had pens fans. Even down to the "accidentally" it's just a Rob Rossi hot take. Yeh NOICE.

8 hours ago, Plubby said:

I came into this thread to catch up on the posts i'd missed and aww fuckit I forgot we had pens fans. Even down to the "accidentally" it's just a Rob Rossi hot take. Yeh NOICE.

Don't lump me in with those Pens fans. I actually would like seeing the Caps do something of note, but it's also enjoyable to watch their continued playoff futility.

Forgot to mention, but is it me, or is Ovechkin injured? He seems to be moving so much slower, I've seen people suggest he's getting older, losing a step, but it seems to me like he's injured, maybe the Kadri hit really did hurt him?

6 hours ago, damshow said:

I suspect he's hurt. Sounds like he might be on the third line in game 5 as well, adding credence to that.

Oilers blew it last night, but they also kinda got hosed. Still there is no reason why they should have blown that lead anyway.

I believe he is hurt too, he just seems slow out there. Damn, I went to bee early and missed the ending of the Oilers game, but looks like one of the goals shouldn't have counted, but hey, referees are inconsistent as hell on what is goaltender interference.

Nashville is winning the cup this year imo. Unless they suffer big injuries or something, I don't see Anaheim or Edmonton beating them, and I don't see any of the teams in the east doing it either. 

Hope the Pens pull it of tomorrow, can't handle a game 7, I'll probably die from stress lol. 

Okay guys... Turns out we can't come back from 7 down, 3 is about the max.

Let's keep this in mind for Game 7 and...wait a second - Game 7? Crap. :crying: