2016/2017 Hockey Thread

SeanDMan

7 hours ago, damshow said:

It doesn't help the Caps when literally every interview involves asking them about their legacy as the ultimate chokers. Even if they're not thinking about it, the media is making them think about it.

Shocked that the Blackhawks are basically toast, doubly so the Wild. Thinking we're looking at Anaheim-St. Louis and Pittsburgh-Montreal as our conference finals.

Most shocking is the Caps players saying they're not in the right mindset, etc, like, really? What is it with that team that they fail year after year to get prepared for the playoffs?

Sucks the Pens lost tonight, but I wasn't expecting a sweep anyway. Hoping they finish it in Pittsburgh. 

Looking forward to tomorrow, cheering for the Leafs to get that 3-1 lead. 

I'm a huge Penguins fan, but the Montreal series is much better hockey. I'm thinking that either the Rangers or the Habs are going to the Cup finals. The Caps and Penguins are not playing the level of hockey that New York and Montreal are. It's very obvious that Pittsburgh just can't compete with the weak defense they have.

1 hour ago, RPS said:

I'm a huge Penguins fan, but the Montreal series is much better hockey. I'm thinking that either the Rangers or the Habs are going to the Cup finals. The Caps and Penguins are not playing the level of hockey that New York and Montreal are. It's very obvious that Pittsburgh just can't compete with the weak defense they have.

I think they can beat both, last two games have been ugly, but I'm sure they beat Columbus tomorrow, and if we get Murray soon, goaltending isn't a big concern. 

Rangers defense is horrible, and Lundqvuist has been horrible against the Pens. Montreal is more challenging, but I wouldn't expect them to beat Pittsburgh either, they just don't have the depth we have, and if Weber slows down like he did last year, they're in trouble.

The biggest concern is- we have terrible defense. The two games I've watched (2&4), they have just not been tight enough on defense - in our own zone or on the blue line. There was so many lost chances because our defense were out of position on offense. 

For the Pens there is no way to replace Letang, so the defense has looked shaky as a result. Pens will always have the best player on the ice in Crosby. I don't think Ottawa is making it to the conference finals, but I would argue Karlsson is a good enough player to get them there. NY has been very shaky on defense and basically bailed out in game 1 by MTL just not putting together good offense. Radulov made some awful decisions in game 4 and helped swing that game NY's way. Also the Rangers really, finally put the right kind of offensive pressure on Price and the Habs defense.

That and TOR-WAS have easily been the best series of the first round.

7 hours ago, Toe said:

Both Bylsma and Murray are out in Buffalo.

What a disaster. The lack of progress last season was disappointing and their was talk that Bylsma had lost the room, but I don't think it was Murray's time to go.

They cleaned house, the entire front office is basically gone. Jack Eichel spoke up and now everyone got sent packing.

It was disappointing to go out in a sweep, but the four losses weren't all that bad for Calgary. Realistically, they let up too much or got too reckless, and combine that with Brian Elliott channeling his inner Andre Racicot, it just fell apart at a certain point in every one of those games. This team will mature and get better for having this experience, and hopefully they are augmented by some good veterans through this year's off-season. The number one focus for Calgary needs to be finding someone who is a legitimate number one goalie. Elliott and Johnson are both too inconsistent to be the final line of defense for such a young team. With Vegas entering the league, it's going to be interesting to see the goalie swapping in June.

I got the NHL Network, so now it's time to switch to following the Leafs. What I've seen of the first four games was pretty fun.

2 hours ago, damshow said:

And the Blackhawks get swept.

That was a god damn shocker, I thought they were winning it this year. I seriously hope they don't blame coach Q for that, knowing how teams like to fire coaches, I can see it happening.

Outside of Game 3 the Hawks were just manhandled the whole series too. Such a shocker, as much as the first round lends itself to shock upsets this was doubly so since it was a lopsided sweep. If they lost in 6 or 7 you could have chalked it up to bad luck, but they were just listless for most of the series.

Maybe Rinne is about to go on one of those special goalie runs where he takes his team to the Conference Finals or further.

Sharks blow it again, geez, honestly, I thought they were gonna outclass the Oilers and give them a good lesson during the playoffs (kinda like Sid's first playoff v Ottawa), but they just looked tired out there. That OT effort in game 5 was pathetic. 

Shocked to see Montreal gone so soon, had them going to the ECF, looks like it'll be NY against Washington, maybe Pittsburgh.

Yeah Montreal got shafted with their first round matchup due to the playoff format, winner of that series was a safe bet to make the conference finals. Heck, under more normal formatting they both could have reasonably met there.

I think we get Anaheim and St. Louis advancing out west. I probably shouldn't count out Nashville with the way they dismantled Chicago, but ah well. Anaheim is my pick to make out of the west.

I think it's a toss up between Nashville and St Louis, I'm gonna go with Nashville, cause the Blues can't just rely on goaltending. But my pick for the west is definitely Anaheim.

Hoping my Pens make it out of the East, or at least don't lose to the chokers in the 2nd, but no Murray and Letang, don't know how they pull it off.

On 4/23/2017 at 21:50, Ruki said:

Sucks the Leafs couldn't take it to game 7...but they took the Caps to OT in 5 games out of 6. These aren't the Leafs of past years.

As someone who follows both the Flames and the Leafs, I can't be more proud of the two teams for the growth they've shown and the potential that they have for the future. Round one exits are always disappointing, but both teams played beyond expectations this season and should be proud of their accomplishments.

Pittsburgh/Washington and Edmonton/Anaheim should be fun games to watch in the second round. As a Canadian, I'm pulling for Ottawa to do well, but the hockey fan in me wants to see Nashville/Pittsburgh as the final.