Arsenal Thread

TMM

Not seen the game yet, might catch highlights tomorrow maybe.

I think that's it for Arsenal, title challenge gone for them. For anyone who tries to say anything, yes they were still possible contenders for the title. I suppose it's still possible but to be fair I cant see it happening, which leaves only United to save us.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well in my opinion Pruttons two tackles could have easily been reds, especially the first, he was high, late and it wasn't pretty at all. And the second he damn near snapped Pires' ankle.

Yeah, but on Match Of The Day, they said the elbow should have been a red, and not the others.

The second tackle wasn't particularly high, and was definitely a yellow card (and was no dirtier IMO than Van Persie's second challenge). The first tackle was nastier, but the ball was there to be won, and he just went over the ball and caught the player instead. It wasn't a dirty challenge (as he didn't go for the player), and therefore, I can see why the ref gave a yellow.

Yes, maybe van Persie's elbow should have been a red, but I was just annoyed with Prutton complaining when he could have been sent off three times, twice for the tackles and then for pushing the ref.

He pushed the ref and wasn't sent off? you really mean push? push him hard?

Well, saying he coulda been sent off three times is irrelevant, as he was already sent off by the time he pushed the ref.

And no, Malenko, not that hard. He got sent off for a second bookable, after the ref consulted the linesman. As Prutton went towards the linesman, the ref tried to get in the way, and Prutton pushed him in the chest several times (not hard enough to knock him over, just to knock him back) whilst looking menacingly at the linesman. Harry Redknapp (the Southampton manager) rushed over and dragged him away.

One thing I am glad about is that both managers didn't moan or say they didn't see it (Arsene).

Also, I have to say, the decisions today were spot on, the red cards and the disalowed goal.

I was going fucking mad then saw Cole fall over in disbelief.

:(

Yeah, it was nice to see a referee have a decent game, since we are so used to complaining about how bad ref's are these days.

Arsenal have confirmed that Arsene Wenger will have a transfer war chest of over £30 million to bolster his squad in the summer.

Wenger has been forced to watch on in recent seasons as rivals Chelsea and Manchester United have invested heavily in their squads, with his own spending power limited by The Gunners' new stadium at Ashburton Grove.

However, with that project now firmly in place and funding fully organised, Arsenal have revealed that a £30 million investment from Granada TV will be handed to Wenger to invest in new players.

"The manager has more money than he's ever had before to spend on players, should he choose to do that," managing director Keith Edelman stated.

"He may decide he's got an outstanding squad and he doesn't need to spend, he may decide that he wants to spend. He has ample resources.

"Historically, it is true we did not have the wherewithal to pay the salaries we had to pay to retain our best players and keep enough cash flow to give the manager a reasonable transfer budget."

Recent results have highlighted the need for Wenger to add extra depth to his embattled squad, with defensive cover and a new goalkeeper sure to be high on Wenger's priority list.

Arsenal are known to be watching Belgian international keeper Silvio Proto, while Chelsea's Carlo Cudicini is understood to be another potential target for Wenger.

However, reports suggest that the French coach is also considering firming up his interest in Norwegian custodian Knut Borch.

The 25-year-old, who plays for Tromso in his homeland, had a trial at Highbury in December, and the unconvincing form of both Jens Lehmann and Manuel Almunia means he could well come into consideration if Wenger's top targets are unattainable.

source: planetfootball.com

Get fucking in.

I want a top goalkeeper, a top central defender, a right winger (SWP) and a striker.

The Sunday papers have picked up on that, they've also added Lucio to our list and claim Arsene Wenger has been told to sign Michael Owen whatever the cost.

I do agree we need a lot of players (a top quality goalkeeper, defender, midfielder and forward), but top priority should be on the back line. It's also been said Lehmann will be dumped in the summer no matter what (not sure what the papers base this info on), but I can't see us not buying a new 'keeper so surely things can only get better from here.

I don't get why Arsenal would need a right winger, presumably with Jermaine Pennant coming back from Birmingham at the end of the season - the wings aren't really where the weakness is.

2 Goalkeepers are needed. It's quite funny how no one placed a bit for Paul Robinson in the summer, Spurs got him for 2 million and he's been sensational while the Man Utds and Arsenal search desperately for a reliable keeper.

Centre backs are needed as well. Cygan is ok until the ball goes over his head, Campbell won't be about forever and Toure is good, but in Campbell's absence looks lost. A strong, physical CB is needed - I'd sugest King, but you're not having him - and then a decent replacement CB is needed as well.

If you're going for Mourinho's 2 players thing, currently Arsenal have:

GK: No one

DR: Lauren, Eboue

DL: Cole, Clichy

DC: Campbell, Cygan

DC: Toure, No One

MR: Ljunberg, Pennant

ML: Pires, Reyes

MC: Vieria, Flamini

MC: Gilberto, Fabregras

FC: Henry, Van Persie

FC: Bergkamp, maybe someone else

With Pennant and Bentley returning from loans, that adds a bit of the depth. The only places that really need looking at are GK and CB. Another striker wouldn't do any harm with Bergkamp getting on a bit though.

Edited by vespertine

Guest Pirate Chasin' Booty

They need to make an example of him, but famous people and prisons just don't mix, apparently he's pretty stupid too, so his whole life depends on getting back in football and turning his shit around. I'd like to have him back, but the chances of that are slim to none.

The bigger news is tonights replay, we haven't got a strike force, looks like it'll be a makeshift one of Ljungberg and either Quincy/Lupoli/Aliadiere, that doesn't give me alot of confidence, but lets just hope whoever takes the stage does well.

About Pennant. I hate the fact they are all saying "he shouldn't go to jail, he should be given help". If he was a regular guy no-one would give a shit and would say he should go down for 3 months. Why should footballers get special treatment?

On to tonights game, it sucks.

Lupoli off, Quincy on.

COME ON QUINCY!

Edited by Gooner4Life

Guest Pirate Chasin' Booty

Get on Almunia, come on Bolton, Praise the lucky moustache!

EDIT: Might aswell pass on some opinions, even though the first half was boring as tits, after the half time break it turned into a real entertaining match, possibly the most entertaining goal-less match I've seen in a while. Brilliant displays from Fabregas, Cole and Quincy (played well as somewhat of a winger). Dare I say it, Pascal Cygan played rather well too, at times he was given acres of space, shame he can only sidefoot the ball though, his knees need a good oiling.

Other than a few dodgy decisions, Almunia played well too, the save in the last minute was top notch, the penalty saves were great too, very harsh for the retake though, the referees obviously seem to be making an example but could of gone either way on a different day.

Good performances from our youth/backup tonite, Ljungberg struggled at times though.

Good game, kept me entertained.

EDIT2: You can actually see the potential Wenger has in Almunia at times, his decisions are crappy yeah, so are his ability to judge crosses, but with the right training he could become pretty good. Thats not to say he won't fuck up and we don't need a new no1 though.

Edited by muddatrucker

YAY!!! We're through!!! Not that there was EVER a doubt in my mind of course :shifty:

How the fluck we didn't score I do not know. Gotta say about Almunia; while he's shite on crosses, he's one of the best shot stoppers I've ever seen.

All credit to Sheff Utd players, they gave everything they had.