Arsenal Thread

TMM

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As unlikely as it is us coming back to win the title, it's good to see the players are not giving up the fight. If there 13 points clear then Chelsea have to lose 4 games to bring us within a point of them, they have to lose 5 games if we are to go ahead of them. If United and Arsenal beat them, they still have to lose 3 more games. That is unless Chelsea draw a heap load of games and we keep winning ours. Cole leaving is unlikley, welll it better be anyway, if he goes at the end of the season we are stuffed, the back 4 are crap as it is without us losing possible the best left back in the country.

Guest Pirate Chasin' Booty

Who would you change in the back 4 though? I know they're proving to be ineffective, but other than a lack of decent back up, I wouldn't have a clue what to change.

I think just a better case of competition for cases will inspire others to play well, I think as you've said though it's a case of getting our first choice 4 back and playing without one (usually Campbell) being injured for a while.

The game against Villa was encouraging, those opening 30 minutes we looked as good as we did earlier this season and took them apart (though their defence did help us out). Lehmann did pretty well, there's just something about how smug that man is I like. I normally don't like that in people but he just carries it well I think. That's all beside the point though, we did well today, it's a shame a performance like that has come a little too late but it's something to build on for now.

So, who think Reyes will stay for next season?

I have to say, I have my doubts, he has looked awfully average in recent times, although his showing against Villa was a bit better the other day. But it does seem as though something is bothering him but I don't know what it is. I really want us to keep hold of him because he is going to be such a special player and could be an Arsenal legend.

On the other hand, if he did leave, his most likely destanation seems to be Madrid. Money plus Owen wouldn't be that bad of a deal as Owen is proven in the Premiership and is still young and we need that kind of striker, him and Henry would be amazing.

But I would prefer to keep Reyes, and I really hope he stays.

And in other news, it looks as though Wenger is going to be trying to sign Abbiati in the summer from Milan, according to several people on the Arsenal-Mania forum. He wouldn't be a bad signing at all, he is strong, agile and commands his defence well. Plus he is only 27.

Except I would have prefered Hildebrand on a free.

One more thing, Petit has been quoted today in saying we must sign Shaun Wright-Phillips this summer. I don't know about anyone else, but I am desperate for us to sign him in the summer. In my opinion he is the best young English player there is at the moment. Screw Rooney, at the moment, Wright-Phillips is sensational and we must do all we can to get him this summer or risk losing out on signing him.

Edited by Gooner4Life

Other than in the newspapers, have there been any stories from BBC Sport or the club that Reyes is unsettled?

According to the Sunday papers Reyes wanted to stay at Arsenal for life and sign a long-term contract, the very next week he was homesick and wanted out. Quite a turn-around, so if anybody has any good sources on the news either way do post it up.

Wright-Phillips would be a good signing but him leaving Man City would probably spark a bidding war between a few clubs, Man City will want a good price too to clear debt. Do you really think we can get him? I'd love to but it'd be tight.

There have been stories recently about raising the wage structure at Arsenal to compete with other clubs. My final point is, if we're not going to be competing in the transfer market (which as of yet it appears we are not) but we did/do have money available (as claimed by the chairman), then we need to raise our wages and keep the players we have. Obviously there needs to be a cap of some sort, we don't want things out of hand, but I think the cap we currently have could do with being reviewed.

Guest Pirate Chasin' Booty

I think the Reyes stuff is bullshit, he was really unsettled when he started due to obvious reasons, and the own goal against Boro didn't help. But then he hit a good patch and expressed how he did want to leave but was really enjoying himself.

He's not been on form as of late, which has been really disappointing, but he'll get back there, I don't believe he'll be sold, Wenger has been scouting this guy for years, he got his man and he won't let him go. Reyes will hit form again and everything will be peachy.

A problem for Reyes is that he likes to play up-front, because everyone likes goals and hes more than capable, and sometimes I think it'd be a good idea to put him there, he'll score and gain alittle confidence.

Reyes in radio hoax

Jose Antonio Reyes has been involved in a radio hoax in Spain, where he was tricked into admitting his desire to join Real Madrid.

Spanish station Cope Radio pulled off the amazing hoax, by claiming to be Real's sporting director Emilio Butragueno.

Cope Radio contacted Reyes's agent, who in turn informed the Arsenal man to speak to the pranksters claiming to be the Madrid chief.

During the conversation, Reyes admitted to life being 'not great' at Arsenal - confirming growing rumours that he is not settled in North London.

Reyes later went on to say that he would be happy to join Real and that he had always dreamed of playing for Real Madrid.

The Spanish giants had just denied reports of a swap deal involving Michael Owen moving to Arsenal in order to sign Reyes.

The former Sevilla man had himself said that he was concentrating on winning things at Highbury, despite being flattered with Real's interest.

This latest stunt is sure to anger all parties, and Reyes is thought to be considering legal action against the hoaxers.

Hmmm, great that. I think he probably meant that he would love to join Real Madrid, not that he wants to, if ya get me. Although I wouldn't be surprised if he wanted to join them.

Apparently he said more than just 'wanting to play for Real Madrid', other sites are saying he spoke out on the 'bad guys' in the Arsenal dressing room and that he was hoping Madrid wouldn't have any.

To me, it seems like he's unsettled not just with England but with Arsenal specifically. Unfortunately for them, he looks most likely to leave in the summer.

The bad guys comment imo is bs. They played the radio show on SSN and that was never mentioned. Seeing as that part of it came from The Sun, I don't believe it.

Now, Reyes needs to feel at home in order to settle, and I don't think he does, there are a few players who always seem to moan when he does something wrong, Henry and Ljungberg are two people that I have seen do it and especially when Henry shunned Reyes when he scored against Aston Villa. Part of the blame goes to Aragones, since this racist comment he hasn't been the same.

This is the time when us as fans need to be right behind him and support him, a big José Antonio chant at the start of the Palace game on Monday would be great.

I felt this may happen as when he first joined us he didn't seem to like the English weather etc. And having learning disabilites doesn't really help. These radio hoaxers are bastards who knew he is having problems and they took advantage.

If José cannot settle by the end of the season, I think it is time for him to go home, for his sake. It is a shame because he is going to be an outstanding player one day and we know that from his peformances at the beginning of the season.

I just really hope he settles because it would undoubtadly be a huge loss to us to lose a player of that kind of potential.

I have never wanted a fixture pile up so much before. I want football to do the talking and see what happens. Hopefully on Monday he can be brilliant.

This season sucks so far, it has been 50% football and 50% media bullshit. I mean we have had to go through:

- Vieira/Madrid saga.

- Losing to Man Utd and then the whole media aftermath.

- The Edu issue with him wanting to leave.

- Ashley Cole being tapped up by Chelsea.

- Gilberto being injured for ages.

- Now this whole Reyes situation.

:crying:

Edited by Gooner4Life

Guest Red Devil

What Reyes needs right now is the team and fans to support him. As a Man Utd fan i can remember back to Post World Cup '98 when Beckham was getting stick and then Phil Neville later on. Whenever something like that happened to a Man Utd player the fans always were 100% behind them but i don't think the Arsenal fans are gonna react like that. I think they're gonna see him as some lying twat after he said he's happy to stay and then getting hoaxed by them radio guys. If the Arsenal fans give him a lot of stick in the next match on Wenger decides to "rest" him then i don't see how you're gonna keep him.

No because Pennant won't play up front.

Wenger has said Reyes is fine. And was just going through a bad patch, hopefully he is telling the truth. He said he is determined to make him the best striker in the world.

He has the potential to be, but will it be at Arsenal. I hope so.

EDIT:

Recoba Heading Towards Arsenal

The Gunners are interested in signing Inter’s Alvaro Recoba to take the place of the disappointing Pires.

‘Il Chino’ has been sitting down on the bench for most of this season and even though the Uruguay player has vowed eternal love to Inter, his patience may be running low.

Arsenal are looking for a player with Pires’ characteristics and they have targeted Recoba as his perfect replacement. The Inter forward would be interested in a move to England as he would finally get to play regular football.

If the English club decides to make a move for the talented South American player, than they will have to fight off the competition of Sevilla, Atletico Madrid and Barcelona.

source: goal.com

Well, this seems a bit out the blue and perhaps bs.

On his day he is one fine player, but he is very very inconsistent and I don't think he would be worth the trouble in all honesty.

He also has one HELL of a left foot.

Edited by Gooner4Life

Fair enough we do need a replacement for Pires in the long run, but unlike that report, I wouldn't call him disappointing by any means. He's been playing well this season and given us another goo doutlet of goals from midfield.

As decent a signing as it could be, Recoba's not a goalkeeper, he's not a defender, it's not what we need at the moment. We're scoring well, it's the 'goals against' tally keeping us off the top.