Arsenal Thread

TMM

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He should go ahead of Gilberto since he's no-one when he hasn't got anyone to hold his hand.

Gilberto is usually solid, but when he has a bad game he is really atrocious, it's like we're only playing with 10, so I get your point. But Gilberto on his day is as good as Makelele in that role, although to be fair, the "Makelele role" was perfected by Vieira.

Guest muddatrucker

Oh the CL when he was protected by 2 midfielders on each side? he's weak.

Robinson wouldn't play above Lehmann if we're going to be serious.

TMM, you know Robinson, King, Lennon and Defoe (on form) would be worth a place in your starting 11. If they get sold, however, I'd cry.

Joey Barton would still be a decent buy, he'd provide a nice bit of steal to the midfield.

What I meant was of the players who would realistically come to us...Tottenham would never sell them to us, so they don't count. And I'd take an on-form Lehmann over an on-form Robinson at the moment.

Tony Adams hopes his appointment as assistant boss at Portsmouth could be completed by the end of June.

Pompey manager Harry Redknapp has lined-up the former Arsenal defender as his right-hand man following the departure of Kevin Bond to Newcastle.

And ex-England man Adams said: "I'm excited about it. We'll have to see how it pans out but I hope it will be tied up in the next week or two.

"I've spoken to Harry. He's a guy I respect and one I'd love to work with."

The 39-year-old has managed Wycombe Wanderers and coached in Holland following his retirement in 2002.

Should he become Redknapp's assistant, it will be the first coaching job for Adams in the English top-flight and the first time he will have worked under the former West Ham manager.

Adams added: "He (Redknapp) obviously thinks a lot of me to approach me and I've got a lot of admiration for him. The respect I've got for him is second to none, he's a great man.

"I love the character he is. He seems really honest and that's all I've ever wanted, to work for people who are like that."

Redknapp told BBC Five Live Sport that he had spoken to Adams concerning the position at Fratton Park.

He said: "I met with Tony on Friday, we will wait to see how things develop. He has got a lot to offer."

• 2 weeks later...
Guest muddatrucker

Theres not much you can do with Red with white sleeves, look at Barca's kits, they've looked the same too (except for that blackburn-esque shit they're going for next). I'm still certain Emirates said they'd be changing their logo, better not make it mid season and make my kit old.

Guest muddatrucker

lol, its a way of getting votes isn't it, 'Vote me and I'll get you a galactico each season', He refused the position last time and theres no reason why he'd suddenly take it now.

England footballer Ashley Cole has received damages from a newspaper after being wrongly linked to reports of a "gay romp" involving players and a DJ.

Cole was not named in the reports but his lawyer said he had been wrongly identified by insinuation and innuendo.

One story featured a partly-obscured photograph which some readers wrongly took to be Cole, the News of the World said in an printed apology.

It will also pay damages to Choice FM DJ Ian Thompson for the same reason.

The newspaper ran articles on February 12 and 19 which included allegations that two unnamed Premiership footballers and a DJ - also unnamed - had taken part in the "romp".

Cole, 25, and Mr Thompson - known as Masterstepz - began legal action against the paper claiming libel, harassment and breach of privacy after the articles appeared.

"Although the photograph was pixellated, some readers have understood Mr Cole to be one of the footballers and Masterstepz to be the DJ concerned," the News of the World said.

"We are happy to make clear that Mr Cole and Masterstepz were not involved in any such activities.

"We apologise to them for any distress caused and we will be paying them each a sum in the way of damages."

'Landmark' case

Arsenal full-back Cole is engaged to Girls Aloud singer Cheryl Tweedy.

He is expected to get his 50th cap when he lines up for England against Ecuador in the World Cup on Sunday.

The News of the World said it wished him "the very best of luck" for the match.

Internet rumours spread after the original stories were published and they generated much discussion in chatrooms.

The legal proceedings were being viewed by many lawyers as a test of how the libel law dealt with allegations made against unnamed individuals.

Issuing writs, Cole's lawyer Graham Shear said the articles were "false and offensive".

"There is no truth whatever in these allegations", he said.

"Ashley Cole will not tolerate this kind of cowardly journalism or let it go unchallenged.

"It is disgraceful that he should be faced with this kind of unpleasant insinuation and innuendo at a time when he is trying to focus on this summer's World Cup and his forthcoming wedding."

Lots of Arsenal news I thought I'd post, get some discussion going in here.

Credit to all go to Sky Sports.com

Buffon a Gunners option

Gianluigi Buffon's agent has claimed Arsenal have been in touch regarding a possible bid for the Juventus keeper.

The Italy international is currently on World Cup duty in Germany, but he faces an uncertain club future.

Juventus are under investigation amid match-fixing allegations and any punishment could see the Italian champions relegated.

Such an eventuality would almost certainly lead to Buffon's exit and Arsenal have been credited with an interest.

Buffon's representative Silvano Martina admits The Gunners are a tempting option, but feels a deal is fraught with complications.

"The negotiation exists, but it isn't easy," Martina told the Italian media.

"London is a pleasing option, but Gigi would like to stay in Italy.

"Despite this, Arsenal remains a welcome solution."

Though Arsenal may hold an interest in the 28-year-old, it is thought Juventus would demand €28 million (£19 million) for Buffon's sale.

The shot-stopper would also require a hefty salary and the financial implications of the deal could put Buffon out of Arsenal's reach.

Milan are also keen on the former Parma star, but, like Juventus, are under investigation and may end up with the same fate as their Serie A rivals.

I'd love for us to sign Buffon, but £19m is a ridiculous fee. Besides, I'm sure if we wait a few weeks we'll be able to get him for pittance :P

Real in English 'signing' mystery

Real Madrid presidential candidate Lorenzo Sanz says he has agreed to sign an Englishman and all could be revealed this week.

Sanz, who has previously had the top job at the Bernabeu, is waging a war with the other candidates in a bid to gain control at the capital club.

Speaking to Radio Marca, he claims to have struck deals with Internazionale, which will involve Brazil striker Adriano, and also for an England star - possibly Ashley Cole of Arsenal.

"With [inter president] Massimo Moratti, I have reached an agreement for an exchange of players between Real Madrid and Inter," revealed Sanz.

"On Thursday we will present the four contracts with the clubs and players to demonstrate that we have made signings, not like the others.

"Those four players are, not to give many clues, two from Inter, another one is Portuguese and the fourth is English."

The barbed comment is aimed at other candidates, such as Juan Miguel Villa Mir, who claims to have agreed to bring Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger to Madrid and reckons Manchester United's Cristiano Ronaldo will also head for Real.

The Portuguese player Sanz is referring to could be Chelsea defender Ricardo Carvalho, who has admirers in Madrid.

All is expected to be revealed on Thursday when the candidates' transfer claims could shake up a number of clubs across Europe.

Bored now. Just fuck off Ashley, or don't, I really don't care anymore.

Wenger admits Kuyt interest

Arsene Wenger has confirmed he has considered signing Feyenoord striker Dirk Kuyt.

The Holland international is weighing up his future after stressing a desire to move to The Premiership.

He has been heavily linked with a switch to Newcastle United and is likely to cost his suitors around £10 million.

Kuyt admits he will speak to Feyenoord in the coming days in an attempt to resolve his future before the start of pre-season training.

The forward could now have an additional option to consider after Arsenal boss Wenger admitted to being a fan of Kuyt.

Wenger was covering Holland's second round World Cup game against Portugal for French television and saw Kuyt start ahead of Ruud van Nistelrooy.

During his commentary, Wenger acknowledged he has been to check on the 25-year-old, but did not disclose if he has made a bid.

"I went over to Feyenoord to check on him," said Wenger on French TV station TF1.

"He is a very generous player."

Kuyt is a player I'd love to see at Arsenal. Our strike force would be amazing if he came. I think he'd fit in perfectly with out style of play as well.

Arsenal seeking Saviola

Arsenal have enquired about the availability of Barcelona's wantaway striker Javier Saviola.

The Gunners are keen to add to their forward line this summer and the Argentina star has become one of their targets, according to the player's agent.

"There is interest from Arsenal," said Saviola's representative, Alfredo Cabrera Bizuela, on Radio Barcelona.

"Also various other clubs from places such as Portugal and Spain have enquired."

Barcelona announced last month that they were actively seeking a new club to take Saviola as he is not in coach Frank Rijkaard's plans.

"He wants to stay in Spain, but we shall see what happens. We prefer to wait until after the World Cup before we talk publicly." His agent added.

Saviola became a regular in the Barca side after arriving from River Plate in 2001 but the arrival of Samuel Eto'o saw him slip down the pecking order.

The diminutive forward was then loaned to Monaco for a season and then Sevilla for a year, helping the Andalucian side to win the Uefa Cup last term.

Now the forward is back at Barcelona, albeit temporarily, and the club has made it clear that he should look for another club, despite having a year remaining on his current contract.

"Like me, Txiki Begiristain has been receiving offers from clubs, but we want to wait, for now, I am just fielding calls." Cabrera Brizuela added.

Saviola is a class player. I'd love him at Arsenal. Only problem is that he is a midget with no strength, and I'd question whether he'd be able to handle himself physically in England.

I'd love to see Buffon, Kuyt and/or Saviola come here, and Ashley Cole, I've just really stopped caring either way, just decide already.

Guest Ringo Hates Divers

It would be kind of funny/ironic seing Kuyt in an Arsenal shirt. Arsenal fans and players alike spent years hating on RVN, yet they'd be getting his identical clone :P

And Buffon would cost 15 million if relegated apparently, so I don't know about that either.

It would be kind of funny/ironic seing Kuyt in an Arsenal shirt. Arsenal fans and players alike spent years hating on RVN, yet they'd be getting his identical clone :P

And Buffon would cost 15 million if relegated apparently, so I don't know about that either.

Kuyt isn't QUITE as ugly as RVN...and has more talent. :D

I've actually liked RVN since he went AWOL.

I've enjoyed his little AWOL stint...he's fucked up so much he's now out of Man Utd's plans AND is behind Kuyt in the Dutch team. I don't know which is funnier. Especially since his Man Utd problems are due to a spat with Ronaldo who now wants out.

Ronaldo wants out too? Bwahahahaha

I want us to sign someone, rather than tons of speculation. Last yer all our speculation lead to Real Madrid signing our targets <_<

According to the Daily Mail he wants to go to Real Madrid. Shit source, but fun to speculate.