Arsenal Thread

TMM

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Below is the full statement received by Newsnight from Arsenal Football Club, in response to Newsnight's investigation.

1 June, 2006

Arsenal Football Club is aware that BBC Newsnight is carrying a story this evening purporting to describe Arsenal's relationship with Belgian football club, Beveren.

Arsenal does not normally make public its agreements with third parties. However, Arsenal can confirm that it has had a technical relationship with Beveren since 2001. This relationship has a number of benefits to both clubs such as providing a platform to share coaching methods and techniques as well as facilitating the option of players being loaned between the clubs. For example, during the course of the relationship, Arsenal players David Grondin, Liam Chilvers, John Halls and Graham Stack all spent successful loan periods at Beveren as did Emmanuel Eboue, who played in a number of trial matches with Arsenal whilst contracted to Beveren. Such was the latter player's success, Arsenal subsequently signed Eboue on a permanent basis.

In addition, Arsenal confirms that it has never owned, directly or indirectly, any shares in Beveren or had any power whatsoever to influence its management or administration. It did in 2001 provide funds of 1,570,703 Euros by way of loan to a member of the consortium to assist in stabilising the finances of Beveren.

At no time has anyone at Arsenal been contacted by any regulatory or investigatory body with respect to its relationship with Beveren. Arsenal and all its staff have acted properly throughout, in accordance with all applicable rules and regulations, and in the best interests of Beveren, Arsenal and the broader footballing community.

Well that sounds about right, and I think most Arsenal fans knew about the Beveren arrangement anyway, it's just that FIFA don't like things going on without their knowing. Chelsea have a similar arrangement with a club don't they?

Hopefully that'll satisfy FIFA, but I think it's fair to say they won't. Because it's an English club, FIFA will probably pay more attention to investigating this than the Juventus thing.

I love the way it is all "Shock horror". Arsenal in £1m loan to Beveren, when other teams like Chelski have multi-million pound deals with CSKA and Corinthians.

The insinuation was that Arsenal had a direct influence on the workings at the club via them giving them money, or some such thing.

So no, its not really the same.

Arsenal vice-chairman David Dein has been voted off the Football Association board by the Premier League.

Dein was voted out of office as one of the Premier League's four representatives in favour of Manchester United chief executive David Gill.

Gill said: "I am looking forward to working with my fellow board members."

Dein, who will continue to sit on the FA Council, has been criticised for his role in finding Sven-Goran Eriksson's successor as England coach.

Dein's removal also comes a day after it was revealed Arsenal could face an FA probe into payments made to Belgian club Beveren.

The Arsenal vice-chairman has established himself as one of the most important figures in the domestic game.

He was co-opted on to the selection panel to find a successor to Sven-Goran Eriksson, with Dein thought to be a prime mover in pushing the cause of Portugal's Brazilian coach Scolari.

Scolari rejected the FA's offer, prompting criticism from Middlesbrough chairman Steve Gibson.

Middlesbrough manager Steve McClaren's appointment to succeed Eriksson prompted Gibson to questioned why Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger had not been pursued more vigourously.

That in turn forced the FA to respond that Wenger stated categorically he did not want the job when approached by FA chief executive Brian Barwick.

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho also claimed Dein's FA ties provided an unbalanced fixture list, with Arsenal having five Premiership games at home immediately following Champions League trips, while Chelsea played five away.

Gill, 48, is as influential at Old Trafford as Dein is at Arsenal.

As a vice-chairman of the elite G14 group and an FA council member, Gill has extensive experience of football administration beyond Old Trafford.

Gill will now work with the Premier League's other representatives; Dave Richards, Phil Gartside and Robert Coar, in promoting the league's interests on the FA board.

However, Dein will sit alongside Richards, Gartside and Gill on the less influential FA Council.

I love the way it is all "Shock horror". Arsenal in £1m loan to Beveren, when other teams like Chelski have multi-million pound deals with CSKA and Corinthians.

Bastia: Gunners on Song

Bastia have announced that Arsenal have exercised their option to secure the permanent transfer of youngster Alexandre Song.

The 19-year-old midfielder joined The Gunners on loan last season and has sufficiently impressed Arsene Wenger to earn a four-year contract at the English giants.

Although playing just nine games this season, the athletic Cameroon youth international showed promise and will join the club as they embark on a new era at The Emirates Stadium.

Wenger showed no fear in introducing the starlet during the superb 1-0 win over Real Madrid in the UEFA Champions League, and Song also featured in the run-in to the end of the season as The Gunners juggled domestic and European concerns.

Arsenal have paid €4 million to sign Song, making him their second transfer of the summer after the capture of Czech Republic international Tomas Rosicky.

The playmaker joined from Bundesliga outfit Borussia Dortmund to help ease the impact of Robert Pires' exit, and Rosicky has immediately set out his intention to help break Chelsea's grip on the Premiership crown.

Indeed, the 25-year-old has warned World Cup team-mate and Blues goalkeeper Petr Cech that he is determined to make life difficult for him next season.

"I'm going to Arsenal to win titles and I have already warned Petr," Rosicky is quoted as saying in the Daily Star.

"It won't be so easy for them to win the league next year."

Rosicky also insisted he was going to Arsenal to become a Gunners legend in his own right, rather than looking to emulate Pires or departed Dutchman Dennis Bergkamp.

"I'm not going to London to replace Bergkamp or Pires, I am different from them and have my own style. I'm not scared off by anybody."

Sol seeks Scots support

England stopper Sol Campbell says he expects Scottish fans to get behind The Three Lions in Germany, despite First Minister Jack McConnell saying he will cheer on teams such as Trinidad and Tobago.

McConnell's comments, supported by Three Lions skipper David Beckham, generated much debate about the nature of the Anglo-Scottish rivalry, but Campbell expects many people North of the Border to get behind Sven Goran Eriksson's side.

"Probably if you are a football person living in Scotland you don't mind supporting England, Campbell told the Daily Record.

"Obviously, if you are thinking a different way you don't want England to go anywhere in the game.

"But I think if you are a football person you are going to love England, or any other team.

"In saying that I can't say I've had any messages of support from Scottish fans."

However fellow defender Rio Ferdinand was more equivocal about any potential support from the Tartan Army.

"I don't care if Scottish fans support us or not, its much more important the England fans get behind us," said Ferdinand.

"Fair enough, if Scotland fans want to get behind us that's great, but it's not going to affect us one way or the other."

Meanwhile Arsenal defender Campbell has been linked with a move to Internazionale in the Italian press, as the Nerazzurri have been fans of the former Tottenham man since before he made his free transfer move to Highbury

The towering stopper has had a difficult six months in North London and has also been linked with Premiership sides Fulham and Newcastle.

Reports are also indicating that Gunners boss Arsene Wenger could be ready to raid San Siro and bring Nigerian forward Obafemi Martins in the opposite direction.

Source: Sky Sports

Song could be good in the future, although I didn't see much of anything that really impressed me.

I only posted the Campbell article for the last paragraph...Wenger's after Martins? That'd be awesome if we could get him. If that serious, I'm sure it wouldn't be to hard, Inter have shown in the past that they seem to love to sell their best players.

Edited by TMM

I wouldn't mind a part exchange deal for him if Sol wants to go as he's easily fallen in the pecking order. But it would be nice to see an Englishman sign.

But who? There aren't any English players (who don't play for the other "big three") that are any better than our players, so there's nobody worth signing who'll improve our team. Only English player worth signing right now is Wright-Phillips, and he doesn't look like he's going anywhere right now, and Chelsea don't look like they'll be selling him anytime soon.

Guest muddatrucker

He should go ahead of Gilberto since he's no-one when he hasn't got anyone to hold his hand.

Gilberto is usually solid, but when he has a bad game he is really atrocious, it's like we're only playing with 10, so I get your point. But Gilberto on his day is as good as Makelele in that role, although to be fair, the "Makelele role" was perfected by Vieira.