I got bored and had too much time on my hands this morning.

MalaCloudy Black

Don't worry, I still have way too much time on my hands.

But I made a playlist on Spotify that's essentially the soundtrack of the ages 17-19 for me. That covers my junior year of high school, senior year, and my first year of college - a lot of the time while making it I spent going "fuck, that was 2004/2005?" And there's a lot of radio singles. 1985 by Bowling For Soup, Dance, Dance by Fall Out Boy, Kanye's Gold Digger, etc. and then you have some of the sleepers you wouldn't expect on my playlist, like Since U Been Gone and the Styles P/Jadakiss remix of Mariah Carey's We Belong Together.

All in all, 58 songs, nearly 4 hours of music, that'll transport you (or at least transports me) back to 2004 and 2005. 

And just for funs, I may as well explain some of my choices:

Since U Been Gone by Kelly Clarkson: this song takes me back to my senior year of high school. Specifically, Mrs. Lester's Home Ec class. It was a fluff class for a lot of the seniors that year, but there was one girl a year younger than us in that class who I had a crush on. I can't for the life of me remember her name (started with a K, best I can do) but I thought she was the cutest girl ever and I remember during the last weeks of senior year, she'd play this song a lot while we worked on projects in class. It's an earworm.

Personal Jesus by Marilyn Manson: The only new song on the best-of, "farewell" compilation Lest We Forget. It wasn't my first time hearing a Depeche Mode cover, but at the time it was the one I bopped to the most. 

Mr. Brightside by the Killers: If you watched MTV, MTV2, or FUSE at all during this period of time, you heard this song. Even if you didn't, you heard this song. If you listened to the radio, you heard this song. This song was fucking everywhere. Inescapable. 

The Hand That Feeds by Nine Inch Nails: The entirety of the "With Teeth" album holds a special place in my heart, because NIN was a blind spot for me until I met the girl I dated from 2005-2008. I knew the hit singles - Closer, March of the Pigs, Head Like A Hole - because FUSE would play them on their late night metal/hard rock programming block, but I had never bothered to seek out anything else by Nine Inch Nails. My girlfriend, however, was (and still is) a huge NIN/Reznor fan, and she introduced me to the singles off of the "With Teeth" album. I liked them so much that I went out and bought the album and bumped it for probably most of 2005. 

Banquet by Bloc Party: This is another song that's here because of my ex-girlfriend. For her high school graduation gift I got her a signed Bloc Party photo, because I knew she was super into the "Silent Alarm" album. I listened to it but never got into the whole album as much as I got into this song. 

I need a catchier name for my playlist too. Any ideas? Old Man, Take A Look At My Life? Young Man Feels Old? I dunno. Anyway, here it is. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Howdy Cloudy said:

Don't worry, I still have way too much time on my hands.

But I made a playlist on Spotify that's essentially the soundtrack of the ages 17-19 for me. That covers my junior year of high school, senior year, and my first year of college - a lot of the time while making it I spent going "fuck, that was 2004/2005?" And there's a lot of radio singles. 1985 by Bowling For Soup, Dance, Dance by Fall Out Boy, Kanye's Gold Digger, etc. and then you have some of the sleepers you wouldn't expect on my playlist, like Since U Been Gone and the Styles P/Jadakiss remix of Mariah Carey's We Belong Together.

All in all, 58 songs, nearly 4 hours of music, that'll transport you (or at least transports me) back to 2004 and 2005. 

And just for funs, I may as well explain some of my choices:

Since U Been Gone by Kelly Clarkson: this song takes me back to my senior year of high school. Specifically, Mrs. Lester's Home Ec class. It was a fluff class for a lot of the seniors that year, but there was one girl a year younger than us in that class who I had a crush on. I can't for the life of me remember her name (started with a K, best I can do) but I thought she was the cutest girl ever and I remember during the last weeks of senior year, she'd play this song a lot while we worked on projects in class. It's an earworm.

Personal Jesus by Marilyn Manson: The only new song on the best-of, "farewell" compilation Lest We Forget. It wasn't my first time hearing a Depeche Mode cover, but at the time it was the one I bopped to the most. 

Mr. Brightside by the Killers: If you watched MTV, MTV2, or FUSE at all during this period of time, you heard this song. Even if you didn't, you heard this song. If you listened to the radio, you heard this song. This song was fucking everywhere. Inescapable. 

The Hand That Feeds by Nine Inch Nails: The entirety of the "With Teeth" album holds a special place in my heart, because NIN was a blind spot for me until I met the girl I dated from 2005-2008. I knew the hit singles - Closer, March of the Pigs, Head Like A Hole - because FUSE would play them on their late night metal/hard rock programming block, but I had never bothered to seek out anything else by Nine Inch Nails. My girlfriend, however, was (and still is) a huge NIN/Reznor fan, and she introduced me to the singles off of the "With Teeth" album. I liked them so much that I went out and bought the album and bumped it for probably most of 2005. 

Banquet by Bloc Party: This is another song that's here because of my ex-girlfriend. For her high school graduation gift I got her a signed Bloc Party photo, because I knew she was super into the "Silent Alarm" album. I listened to it but never got into the whole album as much as I got into this song. 

I need a catchier name for my playlist too. Any ideas? Old Man, Take A Look At My Life? Young Man Feels Old? I dunno. Anyway, here it is. 

"15 Years is a hell of long hangover"

Jesus. MBS set records on MTV2. It was the number one on the rock countdown forever. I'm pretty sure it made it to the top on the general countdown too.

I did a similar thing on 8tracks back in the day, that I was calling the Musical Autobiography Project. The idea was I'd pick ten songs that more or less summed up my taste/what music I got into for each year from 1999 on, so basically starting from a place where it's mostly just what was on alternative radio and moving on from there. It was honestly a lot of fun to do but I could never come up with a good ten for 2010 that didn't involve repeating artists and the years sort of start blurring together from there. I still think of revisiting it, though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tristy said:

I totally introduced you to NIN before your girlfriend did, why you gonna lie like that :(

You're right, I knew of NIN before her (because of you!) but I didn't really get into them until I was with her IIRC.