Sign in to follow this  
thuganomic

Final Fantasy

So if I've never played a FF game, where do you recommend me start? I'm thinking of getting FFX......is this a good idea? Thanks.

Final Fantasy X would be a decent option. It's not incredibly difficult, and it's a modern game, so it should be easy for you to get in to. I wouldn't start with VII or anything like that, as the older games haven't aged all that well. They're still great, but X would probably be your best option to start with.

Yeah, X is probably the best choice. XII is kinda slow to start, and it dosen't have the old school turn by turn style fighting.

That said, you really need to check out VII and VIII at some point, they're classics.

No, except for X and X-2, none of the games have anything directly to do with each other.

Guest Basquiat

X is one of the easiest, too. It's very linear, and you've got little chance of veering off in the wrong direction. The only thing that might throw you is blitzball, but you don't have to play that too often if you don't want to.

That said, get ahold of VI if you can, since it's got a great cast of characters and an incredible villain with an awesome 16-bit laugh.

X is probably the best choice to start out with, as 12 can be two complicated for some while older games such as 7 or 8 can seem a little tough to start off with.

Like DMN said though, you absolutely need to try out both 7 and 8, as they both are great games.

I'd say 8, but only because that is my personal favorite. At some point though, you will have to try 9, as it was the most under-rated of the FF games in my opinion, while FF7 is over rated.

But yes, 10 is a good place to start....plus, it has Rikku in it.

Guest Basquiat

Yeah, will someone please explain to me why 7 is so highly regarded? I just can't get it. The localization is awful, the graphics are typical of the early PS with nobody even having mouths, Sephiroth is a boring whiny mama's boy who needs a few semesters in the Kefka School of True Supervillainy (Why is Sephiroth so evil? He kills one important person. Kefka orphans entire villages worth of children!), Cloud is a hideous abomination and grabs his head in nearly every scene, the materia magic system is worthless, the characters are nearly indistinguishable from one another in combat aside from their limit breaks, the combat is slower than any Final Fantasy game I can remember, the 30-minute long magic attacks can't be turned off, the ending offers absolutely no closure, and Tifa's tits are too big.

8 is pretty neat if only because it's so out there, with its mobile military acadamies and guys in the past who throw anchors at things, and the characters were much stronger than in 7, but I didn't care for all of the Junction/Draw/GF crap attached to the game, and the last 3-4 hours or so made, frankly, no sense.

Time compression? What?

Oh, and bullshit 9 was underrated. I think they wrote that game on the back of a napkin over the course of an hour.

Edited by Basquiat

Oh, and bullshit 9 was underrated. I think they wrote that game on the back of a napkin over the course of an hour.
Edited by The Sorceress Knight

Guest Basquiat

Expect to be killed within the next 48 hours, cause if I don't get to you, Benji will.

How dare you speak ill words about 9! Death to you!

Be prepared to be Quiana's meal!

Expect to be killed within the next 48 hours, cause if I don't get to you, Benji will.

Guest Basquiat

I'll keep my eyes peeled. (Y)

Unless you're anything like the main character in Final Fantasy 9, at which point you'll think you'll have arrived at my town only to find it destroyed. Then you'll move on to the next town and find it destroyed. Then you'll move on to the next town and find it destroyed.

And so on for 10 hours or so.

Edited by Basquiat

Unless you're anything like the main character in Final Fantasy 9, at which point you'll think you'll have arrived at my town only to find it destroyed. Then you'll move on to the next town and find it destroyed. Then you'll move on to the next town and find it destroyed.

So you don't think the idea of a grouped together rabble of four-strong party saving an entire city/nation is a little far fetched? It was largely a very clever point on the writers part, they were always too late, Kuja and Brahne were Zidane's and Garnet's opposites and they were almost always that little bit better, that little bit faster and way more destructive, they were a perfect balance of life and death, which is what the game was all about. In the real world a conquering army doesn't conquer by simply invading, it takes destruction, swift and violent destruction, this was exactly that on a grand scale, calling upon the power of demigods to help you conquer the world and take power, you really expect a party to be able to keep up with airships and massive beasts like Bahamut?

They're not always 'five feet away', some of the party are within Alexandria when it gets destroyed, Lindblum is attacked like that, I'll give you that, Burmecia is already destroyed, Cleyra is not destroyed but its sandstorm dissapears when they Beatrix gets the gemstone. Come to think of it, unless my memory has failed me, only ONE place is destroyed when they're 'five feet away', Lindblum, almost all the rest they attempt to protect and fail.

And please... maybe I just missed this, but who the hell was the final boss supposed to be? Where was he built up anywhere else in the game? Why isn't the final boss the guy in the jock strap?
Very much agreed on that, but let me explain. Basically, as I said, the game is all about life and death, Zidane and co. are fighting for their life, Necron believes that every being truly desires death, thus he is the natural foe of the party. HOWEVER, I want to point out I found him completely silly as well, all I would've asked would be a hint to his existence, maybe by defeating Tantarion (the book in the library) you should get a hint as to the fact it even exists instead of shoving it into the game.

I've read somewhere that Necron was the non-physical form of the Iifa Tree that Garland was talking about. Then again, I've also read that when Kuja used Ultima to destroy the crystal, that Necron was called forth to bring all existence into the Zero World, which also makes sense. That's one thing that I love about Final Fantasy games though. Things are left open to interpretation, to the players imagination. Why should they tell you every small detail if it only hinders the experience that you get. You are encouraged to think about the games, the themes, the characters, the stories, everything. It's one of the reasons I play Final Fantasy, although I will admit that I'm struggling to find XII interesting at all.

Then again, I've also read that when Kuja used Ultima to destroy the crystal, that Necron was called forth to bring all existence into the Zero World, which also makes sense. That's one thing that I love about Final Fantasy games though.

That's the correct answer, still, there's little to no explanation of his existence beforehand, which is annoying.

Agreed on the FFXII point Proto person who needs to work on the FF8-2 diary....also, the last boss battle in FF9 made me laugh. Not because it was easy...but how I won.

The attack he uses that causes status effects (I can't remember, haven't beaten it in over 5 years).....made Vivi go beserk, Vivi hits him for 13 damage and kills him. I laughed.
Edited by Ruki

Personally, I like VIII the most. Probably has something to do with it being my first FF game.

My least-favorite FF has to be XII. It just seems like way too much of a change from the norm; it's like FFX-2 kicked into overdrive (no pun intended).

And I wouldn't say that some are better; they all have their famous moments.

Also, one thing I was hoping for while playing an old FFVIII file the other day - it was during the last boss fight...

I was so hoping for Angelo's Rush attack to be the hit that'd win, just imagining (in my geekdom) how it would be explained in their world.

"And so, with all their efforts combined... the world was saved by a dog."

Or, y'know... something like that >_>

Get Final Fantasy VIII.

Yes the new ones obviously contain better graphics but the storyline and the connections that you'll make with the characters are fantastic in VIII. (Same with VI actually, I loved that game to).

I also think the various towns have so much more character in VIII then the other games that follow, I'll never forget my first visit to Esther City and being blown away by it after coming through the dessert or when the school crashes into Fishermans Horizon and seeing a place that is so different to other towns you have visited.

On another sidenote to Final Fantasy fans where is your favourite town/city out of any of the games?

I'm going to go with Lindblum from 9 just because you see it in many different states over the 4 discs. I also like Rabanastre from XII just because of the graphics really and the size of the place.

Edited by Sam

Luca from X. It's such a happy sunny place, I can't help but adore it. >_>

Also, I have a curious affinity for Mako reactors. That one I can't explain.

I loved VII when I played it, but the end pissed me off. I didn't know it was the final boss, so I was all like 'Knights of the Round' followed by 'Omnislash... BITCH', and it was like 'yay, you win!', and I was like 'wtf, thats it?'.

Catsith rules though.

VIII is probably my favorite, although I cheated like a bitch with the '1000 pts for each level' shit. Hell, Squall was level 70 before I finished the second disk.

X probably has my favorite characters overall, mostly because of Rikku. Blitzball was cool too.

X-2, I've never finished, because its just too stupid for me. I hate the dress sphere shit.

XII is cool, but too much like Star Wars, although it does have Balthier, so it gets some points for that.

Favorite FF characters, in order...

Rikku

Catsith

Yuffie

Balthier

Vincent

My favorite city is probably either Luca, or Balamb, if you include the Garden. The one in VII that Red XII is from is cool too.

Edited by DMN

Guest Basquiat

Actually, as much as I rip on Final Fantasy VII, Midgar was probably my favorite locale in the series. It was such an awesome idea. I thought the first few hours of VII were really good, actually, when it was just the main characters against the big corporation in the city that was the ultimate Marxist nightmare--a huge lower class literally kept beneath the upper class. Shinra knew how to be evil, crushing parts of the city and all that. Once Sephiroth showed up, I just flat-out got off board, which is odd because he's the one the fanboys seem to drool over.

Right, most of you have probably heard my Final Fantasy opinions countless times already, but here we are:

VII is the best. I don't care what you say. The storyline's fantastic and goes far more in-depth than any other game in the series (just touching the surface, how many people played it through and never realised that the "Sephiroth" they kept seeing was really Jenova? And that's just one tiny thing, before I go in to optional flashback sequences, alternative explanations and symbolism), it's chock-full of fantastic characters, eminently playable, incredible soundtrack...need I go on? And saying the graphics are "typical of early PS games" is hardly a worthy criticism, it is an early PS game. It's ten years old! And Sephiroth burned down the lead character's hometown, so it's not just like "Oh, he killed one person". He destroyed your hometown, killed your girlfriend, got inside your head and made you question your own existence, then plotted to destroy the entire world for his own personal gain. Pretty evil to me. As great as Kefka was as a maniacal villain, I'd rather see the more psychological elements of Sephiroth, and his relationship with Cloud and with Jenova, than to see Kefka's "LOLZ, I R Teh EVIL!" act.

Who said FF8 had stronger characters than 7? Bahhh! Bullshit. The characters are horrible in FF8. How can you slag off Cloud and like Squall? Squall is just moody Cloud distilled into a grumpy teenager, he's the least likable central character in any Final Fantasy game, Selphie is Yuffie-squared (that's not a good thing), Irvine is Edgar in a cowboy hat....the characters are just dull and horrible, the plot seems like it was made up as they went along (Oh, right, yeah...erm...you all knew each other as kids, right? Why don't we remember? Erm....GFs? Yeah, they affect your memory. Or something. Bollocks.). The battle system is fucking dreadful (and again, the criticism that characters were indistinguishable in battle in FF7 can be levelled just as heavily, if not moreso, at FF8), drawing and junctioning, magazines, weapon building, it's all a load of shite, and all too fiddly. The first disc seems to entirely consist of "go here. Then here. Then back again to change your uniform. Then go back where you were before." ad nauseum. And the final battle's a bastard. And half the secrets are IMPOSSIBLE to figure out on your own, you NEED a strategy guide, which defies the point, really. Oh, I should've known that I had to talk to that entirely insignificant lake on the World Map, followed by a random forest, it's SO OBVIOUS. Cock that.

FF9 was the last great Final Fantasy, in my eyes. Playing it after everything that's happened since is the best way to enjoy it, because it really feels like a send-off to the more "traditional" Final Fantasy series, it's chock-full of references to earlier games, its the most fun and cartoony, while still having a suitably dark undercurrent to its story, the characters are great (who doesn't like Vivi? Come on!), the Black Mage Village actually moved me to tears with their adorable naivety (the Black Mage talking about how the sunlight's really pretty, but it hurts his eyes. That was it for me. And then the graveyard. Bless 'em.), I hated Kuja first time round, but now I think he's bad-ass despite his bizarre androgyny. There's also a big difference to other Final Fantasy games, in that the previous games in the series were all universally about the concept of hope, while the main overarching concept in IX seemed to be almost a complete hopelessness; like no matter what you did, it was never enough, you COULDN'T save the world, you couldn't make things better. And that was fun. I also like how, unlike most Final Fantasies which are almost entirely about the central character, with flashes of backstory for the others, the majority of FFIX seems to be about Vivi and Garnet, as Zidane's so tight-lipped about his past, and it isn't until relatively late in that Zidane starts to be explained, and by that point there's the obvious corelation with Vivi's story, and with the Black Mages. Lovely.

Edited by Skummy Guðmundsdóttir