Queen's Blood (Final Fantasy Thread)

thuganomic

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PS1 era Disc 1s were always better than the rest of their respective games. FF7 is a blur in my memory after Aeris. FF8 gets batshit with GFs and memories and Irvine remembering and not telling anyone. FF9 I could never get into the story around Terra. But all three Disc 1s are amazing.

• Like 1

Wha? FF7 arguably opens up the most after Disk 1, whilst FF8 features some of the best moments in the game after SeeD falls apart.

EDIT: Actually, I'll concede to you that the Deling City's beach storming stuff is great, as well as a lot of Midgar moments. But I don't agree that the rest of the disks pale in comparison, it's really only the third (and fourth, in the latter) that aren't very good. So yeah, really it's only the endings on Final Fantasy games that are never that great.

• Like 1

Yeah, FF3 has really erratic level jumps. Save before you enter anywhere.

It was crazy. But a little bit of grinding and getting the Wightblade made that dungeon easy. I even found the blizzard spell and was able to destroy the boss in two turns.

Wha? FF7 arguably opens up the most after Disk 1, whilst FF8 features some of the best moments in the game after SeeD falls apart.

EDIT: Actually, I'll concede to you that the Deling City's beach storming stuff is great, as well as a lot of Midgar moments. But I don't agree that the rest of the disks pale in comparison, it's really only the third (and fourth, in the latter) that aren't very good. So yeah, really it's only the endings on Final Fantasy games that are never that great.

My friend and I were talking about this. There almost always, late in the game, seems to be some huge exposition scene where more stuff gets explained in a long dialogue than has been explained in just about the entire game before it. The only game that legitimately doesn't feel like it has that "huge" scene is FFVI (you could argue it had multiple ones though because of how character-focused it was). FFIV does, V does, VII definitely does (Mideel!), VIII was possibly the worst about it, IX sorta had it, and X had it as well. It's a limitation of the storytelling/game mixture. It's almost like a hallmark of 90's Japanese media, a lot of anime series have that "exposition" episode where they just explain everything. But it makes for very weak endings a lot of the time, there isn't that strong pacing with the storytelling.

Perhaps my favorite RPG, Xenogears, was arguably the very worst at this type of exposition though.

Edited by damdevil
  • Like 1

People who've played original Tactics - does every new recruit start at Lv1? Cause if so I'm totally going to savescum >_>

Yes, they do. Savescumming really isn't any different from just refusing every recruit until you finally get that high Brave/high Faith female Cancer to buff your Capricorn Ramza forever.

• Like 1

So...Final Fantasy 3....melee classes are kinda shit, aren;t they?

I just beat Medusa and my warrior can do about 60 damage per hit. While my red/white/black mages are using a fire staff every turn and dishing out 130-230 damage.

And in the Medus Tower (forget what it was called)...I feel like I missed some treasure :shifty:

Ooh The FFX/X-2 HD PS4 remaster is out today over here. Mine!

Is it as glorious as I'm hoping it is? Picking it up some point later this month once I actually have money :P

Just been out to get it. It cost me £2.50 after trade ins. I'm at work until 4.30 though :( . I will report back this evening.

It'll be interesting for me since I never bought the PS3 remaster. Last time I played X was on the PS2 version - numerous attempts to replay it after I'd completed it didn't often make it past the opening chapter for some reason. I think I was always distracted by shiny, newer games.