The Anime Thread

Ruki

Yeah it's Monogatari. The show is told in story arcs of differing quality and is almost entirely dialogue. It's not for everyone, but watch Bakemonogatari for a few eps (that's the first series) and decide if it's your cup of tea.

The art, being Shaft, is awesome of course. Whenever they come out with the movie I expect Rebuild-tier animation to accompany it.

Watching episode 18 of Durarara (only 6 more episodes after this :()....man, Kadota and his crew are awesome! And gang warfare! This show has it all....mysterious mythical creatures, serial knife attacks, gang wars....

Kill la Kill ep. 8 - Trigger won't lose their waayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Holy shit next Thursday can't come soon enough. Bring on the Elite Four.

This episode was really spectacular though, they covered so much ground in backstory for THREE characters, some fun scenes, and we're now at the battles we've all been waiting for.

I dare you to top this next week Trigger, I dare you.

This isn't a spoiler, this is just awesome.

tumblr_mwmri2iuNY1r2dfydo1_400.gif

So, I'm starting to sour on Beyond The Boundary. It isn't bad, it just isn't do anything overly good. Getting really bored of the 'main character obsessed over girls in glasses' thing. It was fine at first, but 8 episodes it, it is just starting to grate.

BUT! Time to watch Kill La Kill :D

Edit: Generals Election/Naturals Election is the best name ever.

Fuck....next week is going to be AMAZING. Although it seems like the season might be wrapping up in the next two or three episodes

:(

Samurai Flamenco dropped the bomb in episode 7, that was some awesome stuff. Really fun sentai anime.

Also Ruki, on KlK

She'll cut through the E4 and Satsuki in like 3-4 episodes, then we get a recap, and then the 2nd half of the show. That's my guess at least. Looking forward to see her go after, presumably, the people behind the Goku Uniforms and the society being structured the way it is.

http://thecartdriver.com/animetacritic-what-anime-reviewers-think-are-the-best-and-worst-anime-of-all-time/

I thought this was a cool find, a step towards having a proper Rotten Tomatoes for anime criticism I hope. LoGH being number 1 doesn't shock me, Touch being in the top 10 doesn't either. Still need to watch both of those shows, but I've not heard a soul slam either one.

http://thecartdriver.com/animetacritic-v-2-more-reviewers-more-lists/

And an update that apparently came out.

• 2 weeks later...

So I've finally gotten around to watching the BlazBlue anime. Good stuff so far, but I don't know if it'd be easy to follow if you've never played the games.

I do like how they've managed to find a balance between giving every character some screen time while not overwhelming us with a massive ensemble, and that every character has been true to the original work (well, if you ignore that Bang isn't an epic-level ham that is).

The only thing I didn't like so far was Episode 5's "Let's get half the female cast into swimsuits and do harem comedy stuff with Ragna" moment. Everything else has been great though.

And now you can join the club of people who are forever outraged there isn't a season 2 yet.

Watch Baccano! now.

Also, Beyond the Boundary really went off the rails. So much potential and it feels like it's been squandered. At least this season still has Golden Time, Kill la Kill, Non Non Biyori, Yowamushi Pedal, Nagi no Asukara, Samurai Flamenco, Kyousou Giga, Kuroko s2, and Monogatari to redeem itself with.

AS FOR WINTER 2014, which is a month away.

http://anichart.net/winter

What is Baccano?

And yeah, I gave up halfway through the last episode of Beyond the Boundary. The first episode or two were great, and then....bleh. Also? Don't know any of those animes (minus Kill La Kill) that you mentioned.

Double also! Vote for Kill La Kill in EWB's Favorite Show of 2013!

As for Winter 2014: Hamatora has an interesting cover art, as does Mahou Sensou. As for ones that sound interesting: Nobungana The Fool and Space Dandy.

I will wait for you guys to watch this stuff, and then watch at your recommendation. But Space Dandy? I want in on that.

Space Dandy is the guaranteed hit of the winter of course. A lot of the show descriptions are so weak on the chart, I'm going purely off of studios for which shows I'm considering watching. If it says Bones I'm there, if it says Silver Link I'm there, if it is by Shaft I'll watch and be disappointed it isn't Madoka, and I'll probably watch what Madhouse puts out.

As for shows I'm watching that you'd like, I would think you'd like Samurai Flamenco. It takes a few episodes to get going, but the whole show is just a tribute to Kamen Rider (or Power Rangers I guess). You haven't watched anything else from the Monogatari franchise yet, so obviously disregard watching that. Kyousou Giga is a brilliant show but it can be a little hard to follow. I have nothing I can really compare it to, but I can say it's a show you have to go all-in on watching or not watch at all. 8 episodes in and things are finally coming together, early on it was just incredibly hard to follow.

And Baccano is made by the same people as Durarara and if you like one you're guaranteed to like the other.

I was wondering if we should bombard the TV ballot with anime. I guess I'll do that, it will at least get me to 15.

Is Seitokai Yakuindomo any good? It looks like it might be. Wake Up, Girls! looks interesting too, the sort of thing I'd enjoy.

HOLY SHIT WHAT A LUPIN VS. CONAN MOVIE?

I remember watching Durarara before hearing about Baccano. When I saw Baccano, one of my first reactions was "Hey... aren't that blonde guy who has Vash's voice and that girl from Durarara? What the hell?"

i still prefer Durarara, but Baccano is awesome as well.