Charlie Brooker - Black Mirror

therockbox

On 10/21/2016 at 23:44, Gazz said:

Episode one just depressed me at how close we are already to that reality.

2 stars

Fucking hell, Men against Fire. That one really got to me.

On 12/4/2011 at 23:01, King Ghidorah Ellis said:

P.M's questions or a random journo.

"Mr Cameron, would you fuck a pig?"

"Well, look, that's just not..."

"For the sake of Kate Middleton, Mr Cameron?"

Well now.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
23 minutes ago, Owen said:

Just got into Black Mirror. Started watching it a couple days ago and I'm on series 3 now. God damn it's a great show.

Enjoy the ride. I'll just leave a box of tissues over there.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, MDK said:

Enjoy the ride. I'll just leave a box of tissues over there.

Spoiler

I've already watched the first three episodes. I feel like Nosedive and Shut up and Dance didn't have as much of an effect on me as previous episodes did because they sorta just felt different from the rest of the show. Nosedive kinda had a happy ending in a way, which was a bit of a shift from what I've been taught to expect from Black Mirror. Shut Up and Dance, I dunno, the whole twist at the end sorta just showed that they deserved what was coming for them... but then again, the same sorta thing happened in White Bear as well? I'm not sure, just felt different for some reason.

(Spoilers for episodes 1 and 3ish)

• Like 1

I wouldn't call being locked up in prison and possibly losing your sanity a 'happy ending'. I also wouldn't call being emotionally tortured and forced to fight to the death a 'deserved' punishment. But that's the beauty of the show, you're meant to sympathise with the main character, then they put something in towards the end which makes you revile them, then you have to decide your own opinion of whether the punishment fit the crime.

• Like 1

Finally got around to it, first episode made me angry in all the right ways.

Spoiler

Every time I heard that voting sound it gave me a little tic. Bryce Dallas-Howard killed it, that laugh in particular was so terrifically forced. Not keen on the ending though, thought that was weak, especially the "I've always loved you" part of the speech.

Episode 2...

Spoiler

Oh fuck that was amazing. Alzheimer's is one of my worst fears, and seeing that as the "villain" of the piece rather than the tech was somehow more horrifying than every other episode they have done.

The final observation of "Called Mom", broke my fucking heart too.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Benji said:

Episode 2...

Reveal hidden contents

Wait until you see episode 4

• Like 1

Season 3, Episode 3 "Shut up and Dance"

Spoiler

Good episode, even if the ending was telegraphed from a mile off. Nobody is going to go to the level of going into a bank and robbing it just for the embarasment of a standard wank video. I felt like that was a mistake on their part, made it too obvious that the twist was incoming. Perhaps would have been better if Flynn's character had been it, showing he was good at manipulating younger people too.

2 minutes ago, Benji said:
  Hide contents

I honestly spent the entire episode wondering what the big deal was (really wish I'd watched it with no expectations cause that sort of stunted my interest a bit tbh). Then the last 10 minutes just broke me entirely.

Ooh, baby, do you know what that's worth?

• Like 1

Season 3, Episode 5 "Men Against Fire"

Spoiler

Sadly the worst episode of Black Mirror so far by a large margin IMO. Obvious plot is obvious, and horrendously ham handed with its message, it was visually dull, and even the dialogue and acting (outside the main guy) were sub par. Good ending scene at least.

Season 3, Episode 6 "Hated In The Nation"

Spoiler

Okay episode, but felt like a retread of the themes of the first episode, which itself was a retread of an earlier season episode. It should absolutely have ended with the guy killing himself and dealing with his consequences rather than that tacked on bit at the end.

Overall, a good season that should have kept with the previous seasons' length. FIrst four eps were varying degrees of great, but last two were real let downs, and easily in the bottom half of the show.