Charlie Brooker - Black Mirror

therockbox

23 minutes ago, Benji said:

Black Museum

Hide contents

A good episode, not going to be anyone's favourite.

Spoiler

But it was my favourite :(

I dunno, it's between Black Museum and Hang the DJ for my favourite. USS Callister is a close second, then Arkangel, Crocodile, Metalhead. Metalhead was very eh, I'd agree, didn't really fit with the point of the show and was just a 40 minute chase scene. Tried a bit too hard to bit artsy with the black-and-white and everything. Definitely the only episode I didn't like of series 4.

I find it so weird that Charlie Brooker is behind this show for some reason. Like, there's such a disconnect for me between him on stuff like Screenwipe, or various daft little panel and quiz shows like You Have Been Watching and Would I Lie To You or whatever, and being the brains behind this really critically acclaimed TV show?

It's like if Paul Thomas Anderson had started out on The Big Breakfast or something.

• Like 1

Hang The DJ and USS Callister question

Spoiler

So in Hang the DJ is it like Callister where they live in this simulation? Like I think Hang the DJ was my favorite of the season but I didn't get if it was just a representation of the algorithm or whatever or were these 2 actually reliving this thing 1000 times just so this couple could know they wanted to hook up in real life?

On 1/2/2018 at 11:22, Benji said:

Further note about Hang The DJ

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

hangthedjhangthedjhangthedj hangthedjhangthedjhangthedj hang the dj! hang the dj! hang the dj! hang the dj!

• Like 1

Watched most of season 4 with my brother and his fiance over the break. Only missed USS Callister and the second half of Crocodile. Re watching today.

I enjoyed all of them with Metalhead being my least favourite. I will say, I hope Season 5 has a whole lot less of "attaching thing to people's temple".

The more I think about Crocodile the more it annoys me.

Spoiler

She was concerned with even leaving the guy alone after they killed him, how did she go from that to being willing to murder a child? Especially when her entire motive seemed to be concern for being able to be around for her own child.

I really liked most of the season, but that and Metalhead are definitely the show's two weak points.

• 2 weeks later...

So I actually liked Metalhead the most of all of them. It was so visceral and stylish and Maxine Peake was terrific. It's unlike everything else they've done so far. USS Callister and Black Museum were strong too.

Hang the DJ was the one I got the least out of. It was enjoyable, but felt like the most comfortable filler episode of the lot.

Crocodile and Arkangel were both good but flawed. Archangel for me started strongly, and the best episodes tend to feature technology which is immediate and feels like it could happen which that cetainly did; but for me it didn't go far enough with the rammifications of it.

You get that scene with the psycologist about half way through, where you realise the full pyscological and sociological impact of using that sort of tech and it's a great "oh fuuuuuuck" moment...and then you get half an episode of a teenage rebellion that we've seen done loads before. It's the first Black Mirror where I felt Brooker didn't go far enough in terms of pushing the boundaries of how far the tech could go.

Annd Crocodile bugged me too. Felt like a good pilot for a crime thriller with a slight SF tint, but hardly a Black Mirror episode. The tech was an afterthought and the characterisation was all over the place. Beautifully shot though, to give it some credit.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

It's really fucking weird. Which is par the course for Black Mirror, but this is especially weird. I chose the wrong path at least 6 times and had to go back to a previous decision and deviate from my original choice.

I don't know, it's a novel concept but it's not something I'll watch/experience more than twice probably. Once you go choose the wrong decisions enough times, it's kind of hard to keep track of the original story and follow it like an actual story because everything blends together after awhile. Which might be the point, actually.

One funny part actually made me laugh out loud, though (spoilers ahead for two pathway choices, obviously):

Spoiler

Stefan: I know someone's there. JUST GIVE ME A SIGN!

*computer screen flashes*

I AM NETFLIX. I CONTROL YOU.

Stefan: What? What the hell is Netflix?

*next scene you get an option to fight your therapist and father*

I liked it. I think I’m going to go back to it at least a few more times (& already have, really) just to try and see all the different main endings. 

14 minutes ago, Gabriel said:

They are saying there are five different endings.

Why would someone need to go back to change a decision? Just curious before I sit down to try it out later.

There are multiple dead ends and stuff, it gives you a choice of two (or sometimes just the one) endings to go back to if you want to explore other endings if you didn't get the ending you desired or just want to go through it all for the sake of being a completionist, basically. You don't really get to change any decisions until you've reached some kind of ending, though.

https://tuckersoft.net/ealing20541/history/

May contain spoilers for Bandersnatch.

Spoiler

Playable Nozhydyve! :w00t:

This probably only blew my mind because I'm American and unfamiliar with 80s electronic music, but..

Spoiler

When Thakur asks Colin "What's this, Kajagoogoo?" I thought that was just some nonsense word, or maybe the title of one of Colin's games. Nope. It's a real band! And when Stefan's walking into WH Smith's, Kajagoogoo's "Too Shy" is the song playing in the background.