2017 MLB Thread

Meacon Keaton

23 hours ago, GhostMachine said:

Regarding Bonds, Clemens, McGwire, Manny, A-Rod, etc......if they're ever let in, they should have spit guards put over their plaques.

Seems a bit of an overreaction to me. I do think PEDs should be mentioned on your plaque if you were caught and there should be an asterisk next to the Bonds HR records but willfully ignoring a big part of the game is wrong

They're saying speed and foggy conditions may have been a factor in the accident that killed Yordano Ventura. No sign of alcohol at the scene, toxicology tests will take 3 weeks to complete. 

Also, holy shit, the DR's laws about drunk driving are crazy. Unless you're a "professional driver" (trucker, taxi driver, etc.) there's no maximum limit to the amount of alcohol you can drink before operating a vehicle.

ALSO also, in less sad baseball news, the Dodgers have acquired Logan Forsythe and MLB.com is reporting that the Cubs have acquired Brett Anderson.

Punishment for the Cardinals hacking scandal has come down. They have to pay $2m to the Houston Astros, as well as send two 2017 draft picks to them. Permanent MLB ban for Chris Correa. 

• 2 weeks later...

Pitchers and catchers report next Tuesday!

Also, the MLB is experimenting with the idea of starting extra innings with a runner on second.

Right now they're just doing it in the Arizona Fall & Gulf Coast leagues.

• Like 2

I'm not really a fan of it either. The Deadspin article mentions that it's been a rule in international baseball for a while now and will be a rule in this year's WBC, but it feels too much like something done to try and attract more casual fans. 

Sounds like they are also looking at getting rid of the pitcher having to throw four balls to intentionally walk someone and raising the strike zone above the knees. 

Hate the idea of the extra runner. Lots of leagues do it and I get why, but I just think it shouldn't be included in the majors.

I am 100% fine with a smaller strike zone. Balls really well below the knee get called strikes far too much now. Move the strike zone up and the missed calls aren't as bad since the pitch is much more hittable.

I like having to throw all 4 balls especially in the event there is a baserunner on 2nd or 3rd. If there's no runners on then it admittedly is redundant to have to throw the ball 4 times.

The extra guy on 2nd I am mixed on. Playoffs it's a no, but while I love baseball it's hard to stay up or stay at a 12-inning game. Maybe making it something you do in later innings in extra innings (like the 12th onwards) would work in the regular season. Ends the games a little more quickly, adds a new element of strategy, and gives Buck Showalter another excuse to not put Zach Britton in the fucking game.

16 hours ago, Meacon said:

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaate the idea of adding baserunners.

Christ, I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'd rather them call a game a tie after eleven or twelve innings than adding a fucking baserunner at the start of an inning. That's just dumb.

Just do it like they do (or used to; not sure if they still do) in Japan, and call it a tie after fifteen innings. 

damshow, as soon as I heard about the 4 balls thing, what immediately came to mind is that if a pitcher wants to walk someone and bases are empty, he should be able to just make a motion for the batter to take first base, but should have to throw if someone is already on a base. The extra guy on 2nd, though? HELL NO! Because next thing you know, MLB would add a new position: Designated Runner. And I don't want to see Justin Gatlin or Usain Bolt in a Yankees uniform, thank you very much.

Edited by GhostMachine