2017 MLB Thread

Meacon Keaton

Damn.....I can't even remember having baseball cards when I was little.  I was more into basketball at the time so I had stocked up on Fleer basketball cards before falling out of love with the sport.  Just seeing that list makes me want to start grabbing some baseball cards.

I had two or three plastic tubs full of baseball cards. I dunno what happened to them. I think they may have been sold in bulk at a garage sale one year, but I'm not sure. Right now I'm kind of wanting a Dwaine Edgar card. He's a cast member on the new season of Swamp People (shut up), and he likes to big up himself by going "yeah I played with Jeter and Posada and I was a Yankee", but.. he never played anything more than a year of Single A ball - short season, even! - so if he played with Jeets and Posada, it was in the minors. 

14 hours ago, Meacon said:

Inside featured David Ortiz, Jake Arrieta, Noah Syndergaard, Gary Sanchez, Giancarlo Stanton, Carlos Beltran, Adrian Beltre, and a Mike friggin' Trout.

After a haul like that, I may become addicted all over again. 

I miss collecting baseball cards. I used to get boxes of them. But a big part of it even as a kid was that they were going to "become valuable". Instead they aren't even worth the paper they're printed on.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, damshow said:

I miss collecting baseball cards. I used to get boxes of them. But a big part of it even as a kid was that they were going to "become valuable". Instead they aren't even worth the paper they're printed on.

If you only buy retail boxes, it's hard to get anything worth much. I pulled a Matt Duchene rookie card out of an Upper Deck hockey box one year, in a hobby shop, and the guy behind the counter offered me $40 and another box just for the one card.

It's all about having a community or the right connections to move these things, but if you have that, trading cards still have great value. It's just harder these days to find people willing to pay for them. Big box retail stores carry Retail Boxes and Packs, which typically score you lower end rewards, but are good for filling out your main set, or getting a set started. Hobby shops carry hobby boxes, which include the rarer cards, but come at a higher cost.

If you have a hobby shop around, hit them up to see what they do for card trading or sales. Some shops will outright buy cards from you, to put in their display case and sell at their actual value.

• Like 1

The Jays are in tough with the lead-off spot right now, as Devon Travis is going to be out longer than expected. There's talk of platooning at second and trying out different guys in the lead-off position, but with Brett Lawrie having just been made available, it might be worth taking a shot at bringing him back to earn regular time by filling in at second base and in the lead-off spot at the start of the season.

Lawrie's been disappointing in comparison to what his potential ceiling was, but his numbers are about the same as most of the Jays options right now, and he'd be a fairly low-risk, potentially high-reward pickup. Obviously, that depends on how much interest he has from other teams and what the price-tag is going to look like, but I think he's worth taking a chance on.

• Like 1