Dame Barbara Windsor has died

Lineker

• Admin

Actress Dame Barbara Windsor, best known for her roles in EastEnders and the Carry On films, has died aged 83.

In a statement her husband Scott Mitchell said she had died peacefully from Alzheimer's/dementia at a London care home on Thursday evening.

She had been diagnosed with the disease in 2014 and had moved to a care home earlier this year.

Mr Mitchell said her final weeks were "full of humour, drama and a fighting spirit until the end".

• Sad 1

Sad news. She was brave to be public about her diagnosis and tried to raise funding and awareness for an illness no one really wants to deal with, and for which we have no clear answer for. Quite frankly, an illness I dread on the same level as motor neurone disease.

I'll try to focus on my last nice memories of her, which was from this. Her husband seems a good man.

Cheers!