Looking for a new (newish) console, advice requested

VerbalPuke

So, I have a PS3 in my basement. That shit is outdated so I want to upgrade to something that could actually support streaming apps and such (since PS3 is basically obsolete now). 

So I was thinking X-Box one? I have a PS4 upstairs, so thought that might work. Thing is, I looked at Amazon and are they really 450 - 500 bucks? Seems like a lot for an older system, or is Amazon a crap place to go? Where should I maybe shop around? 

I saw the X-Box Game Pass is ten bucks, and gives you access to a shitload of games to download and play? Anybody got a good lowdown on this for me? 

Or should I just get a second PS4....I mean I already got physical games so I guess that makes it easier. 

But honestly I kind of want something different and PS5 and X-Box whatever it is now are just out of the question. 

GamePass is 100% worth it. $9.99 a month, tons of games. 

I just looked at a few other places and the price of the XB1 is like $250+ used. What the fuck. I guess I get it and assume that it has to do with the shortages of silicon and chips, etc. that also affects the PS5 and the new Xbox. 

I never owned an XBOX console until I got an XBOX One because of GamePass. I have never played my Playstation since I got my XBOX One. I bought an XBOX Series X subsequently. To be honest, if you are not picky on the games you want to play and are open to trying out different things, GamePass is your meal ticket. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, VerbalPuke said:

But honestly I kind of want something different and PS5 and X-Box whatever it is now are just out of the question. 

I think right now the biggest issue is that the entire console (and PC) market has completely lost its mind in all the pandemic and microchip shortages. With consoles going way over the MSRP and being in short supply, with many also being bought up by scalpers looking to make a quick buck.

From what i can see, Xbox Series X is 500USD and the Series S is 300USD, the latter one having no disc tray so it being fully digital only.

For a more casual player, I think the Xbox is probably the best deal out there, even if it's quite expensive. The aformentioned Game Pass has quite a lot of content, although it's not all-encompassing. It also has some nifty other things and is a superior device for all sorts of streaming apps, too compared to the PS5.

The PS5 will probably (as time goes on, but not yet) be the more 'gamery' console with more exclusives as time goes on.

Also if you're looking into an Xbox One (last gen), I'd honestly suggest you look around for listings rather than buying it new. Especially if they're being priced at around the same points as the new gen Xboxes.

But like others said, you can't really go wrong with Xbox + Game Pass. And on the side supplementing your library with other non-pass games that might interest you whenever there are sales.

Last year they also added EA Play into the Game Pass, so you got titles from Electronic Arts on top of that.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JasonM said:

I think right now the biggest issue is that the entire console (and PC) market has completely lost its mind in all the pandemic and microchip shortages. With consoles going way over the MSRP and being in short supply, with many also being bought up by scalpers looking to make a quick buck.

From what i can see, Xbox Series X is 500USD and the Series S is 300USD, the latter one having no disc tray so it being fully digital only.

For a more casual player, I think the Xbox is probably the best deal out there, even if it's quite expensive. The aformentioned Game Pass has quite a lot of content, although it's not all-encompassing. It also has some nifty other things and is a superior device for all sorts of streaming apps, too compared to the PS5.

The PS5 will probably (as time goes on, but not yet) be the more 'gamery' console with more exclusives as time goes on.

Also if you're looking into an Xbox One (last gen), I'd honestly suggest you look around for listings rather than buying it new. Especially if they're being priced at around the same points as the new gen Xboxes.

But like others said, you can't really go wrong with Xbox + Game Pass. And on the side supplementing your library with other non-pass games that might interest you whenever there are sales.

Last year they also added EA Play into the Game Pass, so you got titles from Electronic Arts on top of that.

Thank you, very helpful. Probably will see what I can dig up for an X-Box One then maybe, though i mean the Series S if actually in stock doesn't sound awful....though on the other hand I'd rather have a disc tray even for movies I have here on Blu Ray or DVD. 

Also now that I look at it, the series S is a bit lower end compared to the X. And the disc tray thing is mostly just personal usage case, I personally prefer to get a lot of games second hand, so I get a lot of use out of disc trays, but for someone that would use it mainly for Game Pass and getting stuff on sale digitally, the S would work really well.

afbeelding.png

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, JasonM said:

Also now that I look at it, the series S is a bit lower end compared to the X. And the disc tray thing is mostly just personal usage case, I personally prefer to get a lot of games second hand, so I get a lot of use out of disc trays, but for someone that would use it mainly for Game Pass and getting stuff on sale digitally, the S would work really well.

Someone on one of the Facebook gaming pages posted regarding the Series S last week, saying they bought one as an upgrade to the One X (?) they had and noticed a massive difference in speed and performance, so even though the Series S isn't top tier like the Series X, it's still very good.

The newest generation of Microsoft and Sony consoles has really put me off on both companies. The way they've "released" them has made a predatory paradise for scalpers, and I'll be damned if I'm going to support that. 

Marketplace is a good place to keep an eye out if you're looking to get an X-Box One or PS4 as people are dumping them if they've managed to get their hands on a new console.

Something that hasn't been mentioned yet is that Microsoft now owns 23 studios, and all of their future games will come to Game Pass on day one. The chances that there won't be something you like there are tiny.

As for the Series S, while its graphical power is inferior to the Series X, it still has an SSD and an increase in processing power over the Xbox One and Xbox One X. You'd still get the benefits of better loading times.

• Like 1

I'm gonna probably roll with a used X-Box One I think, that'll work for the basement. This way I have all the streaming stuff I'd need and a relatively up to date gaming system to play on. 

Thanks. Gamepass sounds dope as well, I'm not very picky about the games as I have my favorites upstairs. I am kind of more in a mood to just try as much as I can without committing to buying a disc, and gamepass is reasonable as hell. 

Ok cool, so I'm decided that X-Box one for sure is it. Any game suggestions? 

I want to get Just Cause 3 because it's 9.99 and it looks like it is probably stupid fun for ten dollars. Unless it's on gamepass? I don't know, should I bother buying any disc games? Any absolute can't miss games that I can't get on gamepass? I guess my favorites on PS4 are RDR 2, Fire Pro Wrestling, Fallout, Skyrim, GTA 5, but I'm also open to any fun sandbox, RPG, real time strategy, fun shooters type of games (I also do love me some of the Mario games on Switch and with my kids....inevitably they'll want to play it). 

Wait Am I reading this right? Literally all the cool Bethesda games are on X-Box game pass? So I could get an X-Box one and play Morrowwind? 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, VerbalPuke said:

Wait Am I reading this right? Literally all the cool Bethesda games are on X-Box game pass? So I could get an X-Box one and play Morrowwind? 

Yes, and a load of others too. The console has a decent level of backwards compatibility with the previous two generations. Honestly, I'd browse the Game Pass catalogue to find some interesting things to play. There's enough variety that something is bound to catch your eye.

• Like 1

Gamepass is the best value in gaming, hands down. I've had it since I did a trial 2 years ago. It's letting me play through almost the entire Yakuza series! And I imagine it's only a matter of time before the latest one is on there. 

• Like 2

And my impulsive ass bought an X-Box One Series X 1TB used with controller, a spare controller, and Mad Max (it was 9.99, not on GamePass, been meaning to play it for years now, figured 9.99 would be a solid price for what looks like a fun enough action sandbox game). I'll be getting game pass, I looked through and there's a ton of games I'd love to play. Some stuff I missed on X-Box 360, some stuff I'd like to revisit, and sports games I can try out. Plus, lots of cool looking little indy games on there. 

• Like 2

On 09/06/2021 at 14:33, RPS said:

I never owned an XBOX console until I got an XBOX One because of GamePass. I have never played my Playstation since I got my XBOX One. I bought an XBOX Series X subsequently. To be honest, if you are not picky on the games you want to play and are open to trying out different things, GamePass is your meal ticket. 

This is totally happening to me I think. My kids love it also as it gives them Super Luckys Tale (my oldest son loves platformers like this (Mario, Crash Bandicoot, and Ray-Man especially). I'm probably going to grab a copy of RDR 2 for the XBox even though I have it completed on PS4. 

I did have a 360 so a lot of the games here still appeal to me for replay value. I re-started Fallout New Vegas, Fable II, and Brutal Legend. 

13 hours ago, VerbalPuke said:

This is totally happening to me I think. My kids love it also as it gives them Super Luckys Tale (my oldest son loves platformers like this (Mario, Crash Bandicoot, and Ray-Man especially). I'm probably going to grab a copy of RDR 2 for the XBox even though I have it completed on PS4. 

I did have a 360 so a lot of the games here still appeal to me for replay value. I re-started Fallout New Vegas, Fable II, and Brutal Legend. 

My kids love Super Lucky Tale, Goat Simulator and Peggle 2. There is still lots of cool indie games for us to explore, but those have been on GamePass for a long time and my kids have been obsessed. 

• Like 1