The Mod Making Discussion Thread

Benji

Thought this could be useful, a thread for discussion between mod makers about their opinions and interpretations of the game and mechanics, or where you can ask a second opinion on something you are unsure of.

So for me - TEW 2020 and potential. Does potential act as what a wrestler can still improve on from that point, or is it their max potential full stop?

3 hours ago, Subject Delta said:

So for me - TEW 2020 and potential. Does potential act as what a wrestler can still improve on from that point, or is it their max potential full stop?

I think they determine the RNG value of skill caps when creating a new save.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Warhawk8492 said:

What is the best way to stay motivated while modding? I have issues with depression.  Any good tips of staying motivated?

Take breaks when you need it and don't feel bad about it. That's probably the biggest one. My 2004 project has been going on for what seems like forever, but that's fine. When I need a break, I walk away from it and know it will be there again when I feel like working on it.

When modding, multi-task with something you enjoy. I usually have two windows up on my two monitor setup. One I use for Cagematch and wrestling data or wiki, whatever I need for the mod, and the other I use to catch up on AEW or watch old wrestling shows. Other times I'll just have Spotify open to a playlist of whatever I'm feeling.

So, in terms of stats, I feel like a lot of mods go on the lower side, what do you guys consider appropriate stat ranges? For me I'd be looking at:

95-100: Once in a generation talent at their prime, Bruiser Brody for brawling, Rey Mysterio at his prime for aerial/flash, Chris Benoit for technical, The Rock for mic skills
90-94: Worker is world class at this, but there's arguably another level - think Kurt Angle for technical (with Benoit above him), or Psychosis for aerial (with Rey above him)
80-89: Worker is amazing at this but not considered top tier, think The Miz for mic skills, or Evan Bourne for aerial
70-79: Worker is great at this, say Shane McMahon for charisma, where people very much pay attention to him, but there's still something that doesn't quite click all the way
60-69: Worker is above average at this, someone who is well trained, but not particularly exceptional in this skill, say Mike Sanders for the sake of a bad joke
50-59: Worker is passable at this, say the mic skills of someone like Jeff Hardy, where he can motivate a crowd, but that is probably more likely to be through through pure charisma and star quality rather than his actual mic skills
40-49: Worker is below average at this, like The Miz trying to put on a chain wrestling classic
20-39: Worker is bad at this, think Eli Cottonwood "mustache" promo for mic skills
0-19: Worker is awful at this, see any Eva Marie wrestling stat

Agree? Disagree?

• Like 1

I always have the logic that 90 is the best of the best, and anything over that is the when a wrestler is at their peak, thy enter it for a few months and drop out.

Also a key factor is different stats work differently, these kinda stat levels would work best for in ring and entertainment skills, a few skills are in a class of their own, like experience, reputation, respect.

• Like 1

Looking to simulate the Time Warner contracts without the attachment to WCW in 2001, so wrestlers are available but need big buyouts for wrestling. What would be the best way to simulate that in-game without just putting people on hiatus? Is there any such option cause I can't think of one.

30 minutes ago, Subject Delta said:

Looking to simulate the Time Warner contracts without the attachment to WCW in 2001, so wrestlers are available but need big buyouts for wrestling. What would be the best way to simulate that in-game without just putting people on hiatus? Is there any such option cause I can't think of one.

The way I've seen it done on other methods is to give them a starting absence set to "Legal Reasons" for the remainder of the contract. 

• Like 1

One stupid thing that bothers me with older mods is when people use something like OVW as a child company of WWF/E. OVW is its own entity, it was not owned by WWF/E, it should be used as part of an agreement between companies for development, not a child company like how NXT is actually owned and operated by WWE.

6 hours ago, Subject Delta said:

One stupid thing that bothers me with older mods is when people use something like OVW as a child company of WWF/E. OVW is its own entity, it was not owned by WWF/E, it should be used as part of an agreement between companies for development, not a child company like how NXT is actually owned and operated by WWE.

That is probably a conversion error.

• 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, Subject Delta said:

Does anyone know if anyone is working on a day after WrestleMania 2001 or 2002 scenario? Or June 2002? Those are the dates I most want to play but it doesn't look like there's been anything released for TEW in a long time that is something like complete for those dates.

Yes, a TEW YouTube/Twitch player I know has been working on one, it's around the time of the WWF/WWE rebrand, I'll check in on its status.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

One thing I hate is mods that undervalue women's abilities. Way too many modders base stats on their WWE appearances or similar. WWE spent years telling women not to wrestler properly and putting them in sub-5 minute matches. There's some stinkers out there for sure, but most of the reason women's wrestling was seen as sub-par was the presentation and time allotted, not because the women actually sucked. The game already simulates that if you have the wrong product/show goals and use too short match times, don't punish the women further just because of perception.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Subject Delta said:

One thing I hate is mods that undervalue women's abilities. Way too many modders base stats on their WWE appearances or similar. WWE spent years telling women not to wrestler properly and putting them in sub-5 minute matches. There's some stinkers out there for sure, but most of the reason women's wrestling was seen as sub-par was the presentation and time allotted, not because the women actually sucked. The game already simulates that if you have the wrong product/show goals and use too short match times, don't punish the women further just because of perception.

That's one of the things I've tried to do with my mod, I think the only stat I knock down for women is strength and boost sex appeal, beyond that the rest of the stats are rated about the same, and even then the person with the hisghest sex appeal is Tanahashi.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

As I stated in my newly updated OP in my thread I am focusing on TEW 2020. Where do I begin with updating my mod? I still need some help regardless.

• 2 months later...